What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

10 hours ago, ModernMan said:

Sensational tv. I would go as far as to say it’s essential viewing and could even be used in education. Simply breathtaking realism, flawless storytelling. 

Not a chance in hell it would be used but yes it should be. What I have found most interesting is some of the older people who lived through it at the time telling their stories on Facebook. I found out a friend of mine used to go to Heaven in the 80's and remembers it all vividly. Knowing her I suspect she was a Jill type character. I found out another person actually was a  HIV/AIDS Buddy/Counsellor in the 80s with the Terence Higgins Trust. 

One thing I do wonder is those families who treated their kids so badly do they feel the same guilt and shame that they made their children feel now that there is so much more acceptance.  

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Damn the new episode of this really took things up a notch and then some. I’ve been enjoying the show thus far but it’s not been overly engrossing, but this new’un immediately goes in tying it all together with the rest of the MCU. Good stuff.

Yup, latest episode (4) is next level 🙂

I’m waiting until I upgrade my television to get into all things Marvel. I haven’t watched a single one, and that’s because superhero stuff doesn’t really do anything for me. But I want to take advantage of my incoming 65 inches (stop it) and I think immersing myself in that world would be great.

The question is: do I watch them chronologically in terms of story or release date? 

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m waiting until I upgrade my television to get into all things Marvel. I haven’t watched a single one, and that’s because superhero stuff doesn’t really do anything for me. But I want to take advantage of my incoming 65 inches (stop it) and I think immersing myself in that world would be great.

The question is: do I watch them chronologically in terms of story or release date? 

Personally I'd say release dates.  The thing with the MCU is that the way the developed and released them, with the little teasers in the credits and stuff like that, really does shape the overall story arc.  It's not essential by any stretch, but that's definitely my preference.

Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

As a total newbie, I think the general consensus is to watch them in order of release date. However if/when you ever watch them all back then they work better in a chronological order. The below article is useful:

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/how-to-watch-marvel-movies-in-order-mcu/

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Personally I'd say release dates.  The thing with the MCU is that the way the developed and released them, with the little teasers in the credits and stuff like that, really does shape the overall story arc.  It's not essential by any stretch, but that's definitely my preference.

Enjoy!

Ah I watched them all last year in Lockdown 1 and we went with chronology of the story and I liked that especially as I was watching them close together (we watched about 2-4 films a week) A lot of those little teasers in credits etc would relate to the next film you were about to watch. 

43 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I don’t think it really matters. Release order and chronological order aren’t that different anyway, I think it’s only the first Captain America. And the Captain Marvel that buck the trend...

Waiidamminit! Captain...captain... is this a clue 🧐

26 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s a Sin - the year’s first essential viewing? So sad though.

There’s a hip hop documentary on BBC Four tonight. Could be worth a go?

Always.  BBC4's Friday night music documentaries are generally really good.

And another +1 for WandaVision.  Haven't seen Ep4 yet but I absolutely love love love the way that there's just this underlying wrongness about the whole thing.  So good.

And only 18 years behind the curve (which is good for me btw) but we've started on The Wire at last 😄

1 minute ago, Quark said:

And only 18 years behind the curve (which is good for me btw) but we've started on The Wire at last 😄

You are so lucky. One of my favourite shows. My other favourite is The West Wing. 

I always say The West Wing is the way you hope the world is but The Wire is the way it actually is. 

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Hang on, you've only just listened to Blood on the Tracks and you're only just starting to watch The Wire?? Were you kidnapped by a cult?

It's a reasonable question BSR.

I don't normally do resolutions, but I've gone all in on them this year. One is to make an effort to get round to what are considered classics that I've never seen or heard. Just a lot of stuff I've never got round to!

I've only recently listened to Revolver and Pet Sounds as well.

It's really paying off though. Came across this song "Get Lucky" the other day. Gonna be the sound of the summer that one.

• Like 1

Cheers for the recommendations, have started letting the news/net time take a backseat and finally started immersing myself in the world of US comedy boxsets. Turns out my guesses were correct:

Always sunny is my fave. Love the nasty, irredeemable vibe to the characters/show. Only three shows in but love it already.

US Office. Easy to binge. So similar to the UK Office it just feels like more of the same (though all the core actors aren't as good).

Shitts Creek. Not quite as good as the above but does actually make me laugh and enjoy dipping in and out of it.

Should see me through to the apocalypse/having to start Arrested Development.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Cheers for the recommendations, have started letting the news/net time take a backseat and finally started immersing myself in the world of US comedy boxsets. Turns out my guesses were correct:

Always sunny is my fave. Love the nasty, irredeemable vibe to the characters/show. Only three shows in but love it already.

US Office. Easy to binge. So similar to the UK Office it just feels like more of the same (though all the core actors aren't as good).

Shitts Creek. Not quite as good as the above but does actually make me laugh and enjoy dipping in and out of it.

starting AD isn't the problem, its finishing the last couple of seasons you've gotta worry about!

18 minutes ago, Homer said:

How far are you into The Office? The characters come into their own from the second/third season.

58 minutes ago, Homer said:

Schitt's Creek is a grower. We nearly gave up on it but by the end I was gutted I had finished it. It's not just a comedy but it has real heart. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

It's a reasonable question BSR.

I don't normally do resolutions, but I've gone all in on them this year. One is to make an effort to get round to what are considered classics that I've never seen or heard. Just a lot of stuff I've never got round to!

I've only recently listened to Revolver and Pet Sounds as well.

It's really paying off though. Came across this song "Get Lucky" the other day. Gonna be the sound of the summer that one.

I like resolutions like that but be warned in 2016 I made a resolution to get to know the back catalogue of David Bowie a bit better. I kind of felt personally responsible when he died. If Bob Dylan goes this year I already know who I'm going to blame!!! 

I might try and listen to a classic album that I don't really know all that well once a fortnight. That seems manageable! 

Episode 4 of Wandavision was so good. We learnt so much new stuff, but the way it was done was brilliant. So well written, it moved the story along brilliantly, not just for the show but for the whole MCU. I think the shorter season (9 episodes?) is a big help.  If this was your standard 20 odd episode season we'd be getting drip fed the odd revelation to keep us interested before moving on to the 5 or so filler episodes

46 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Episode 4 of Wandavision was so good. We learnt so much new stuff, but the way it was done was brilliant. So well written, it moved the story along brilliantly, not just for the show but for the whole MCU. I think the shorter season (9 episodes?) is a big help.  If this was your standard 20 odd episode season we'd be getting drip fed the odd revelation to keep us interested before moving on to the 5 or so filler episodes

With both this and The Mandalorian, it feels like Disney know short seasons and episodes work!

Was also a nice surprise to see some of those characters in WandaVision!

Just binged the last 3 Eps of 'It's A Sin' and me Mrs P are in bits.  Heartwrenching, but sublimely touching in equal amounts.

#BeMoreJill 

Has anyone got Times paywall access and could post this please?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-a-sin-star-lydia-west-on-the-hit-channel-4-drama-its-a-celebration-of-life-mwcvqg2pb

• Upvote 1