What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

49 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Just finished The Sopranos. I'd heard a lot about the ending and it did not disappoint ahah. 

Genuinely though the show was fuckin A, I loved it. Played myself going through it so fast.

It’s brilliant isn’t it? Watched it for the first time during the first lockdown. Even though I knew the ending from all the media coverage it got, it was still pretty much flawless. I’d happily watch it all again. 

Really hoping the prequel series they’re doing is up to scratch. 

55 minutes ago, zero000 said:

It’s brilliant isn’t it? Watched it for the first time during the first lockdown. Even though I knew the ending from all the media coverage it got, it was still pretty much flawless. I’d happily watch it all again. 

Really hoping the prequel series they’re doing is up to scratch. 

Yeah I think I'll go again at some point a bit slower now I've seen it all.

Luckily thanks to Bojack we know the real ending

• Upvote 1

Just discovered Grace and Frankie on Netflix, normally I detest US sitcoms, and this I guess isn’t technically a sitcom,  but it is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a long time. The cast, Jane Fonda, Lilly Tomlin, Sam waterson and Martin Sheen are in a different league. 

Had the misfortune to watch a couple of episodes of season 3 of Star Trek discovery at the weekend via a group Skype thingy, dear god the writers need locking up for what they have done to ST. I really enjoyed Season 1, but stopped watching early in season 2 as they had got rid of the best character and it was crap. Season 3 is even worse, I don’t know what it is but it sure as hell isn’t Star Trek. the crew are a bunch of ill disciplined Whiney crybaby’s who react to everything like a bunch of teenagers with the latest iPhone. Possible the most ill conceived and badly written shows I’ve ever watched.

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

Just finished The Sopranos. I'd heard a lot about the ending and it did not disappoint ahah. 

Genuinely though the show was fuckin A, I loved it. Played myself going through it so fast.

Listen to the sopranos podcast it's great insight to the greatest tv show ever made, great guests from the show from actors to producers basically anyone involved in the show .

new episodes every Monday. 

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

Had the misfortune to watch a couple of episodes of season 3 of Star Trek discovery at the weekend via a group Skype thingy, dear god the writers need locking up for what they have done to ST. I really enjoyed Season 1, but stopped watching early in season 2 as they had got rid of the best character and it was crap. Season 3 is even worse, I don’t know what it is but it sure as hell isn’t Star Trek. the crew are a bunch of ill disciplined Whiney crybaby’s who react to everything like a bunch of teenagers with the latest iPhone. Possible the most ill conceived and badly written shows I’ve ever watched.

I really enjoy it myself. They are emphasising hope and ideals without the universe being squeaky clean which always annoyed me in the 90s shows, god damn Sonequa Martin Green is a good actress and there’s twist and turns in the plot.

The only complaint I have is the ensign becoming the first office which is too big of a jump to make.

1 minute ago, John the Moth said:

I’m a bit behind the times with this one, but.. just watched the first episode of ‘The Leftovers’. 

Boy, that was a strong start, looking good 🙂

I make it my mission to pop up every time this is mentioned, but yeah, The Leftovers is excellent. Starts strong and just keeps getting better and weirder, and wrapped itself up after only 3 seasons so avoided outstaying it’s welcome like it easily could’ve done. 

I’m still yet to find another show to fill the void that The Leftovers left. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I must've misremembered the reviews. Goddammit I'm back in the game (for another 10 episodes at least).

Season 2 is still good but falters over it getting awfully convoluted in places. If I remember correctly, there are some excellent individual episodes, but often points where you’re left needlessly wondering what the fuck is going on, so much so that I never got round to season 3, although think I’ll do that soon as it seems to have been better received, if only slightly.

edit: actually saying that, it looks like season 3 started off with strong reception and then quickly tanked towards the end. Suppose I’ll lower my expectations a bit then!

Edited by FloorFiller

42 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Season 2 is still good but falters over it getting awfully convoluted in places. If I remember correctly, there are some excellent individual episodes, but often points where you’re left needlessly wondering what the fuck is going on, so much so that I never got round to season 3, although think I’ll do that soon as it seems to have been better received, if only slightly.

edit: actually saying that, it looks like season 3 started off with strong reception and then quickly tanked towards the end. Suppose I’ll lower my expectations a bit then!

It’s been well over a year since I watched season three episode 7... still not got round to episode 8 on.

13 minutes ago, priest17 said:

The middle of season 2 of Westworld has some really great stuff in there, I read somewhere though they were writing around reddit predictions to stay a step ahead and it shows by the end, kinda soured everything that came before it for me. 

Yeah kind of similar to what happened with The Last Jedi iirc - people want/are expecting xxx so let’s do yyy instead to blow peoples minds. 

Suppose that’s the problem with huge franchises that rely on twists and turns these days - you’ve got the entire internet figuring it out and making better plots than you so it’s a constant game of attempting to be one step ahead, often at the expense of good plot or sense.

I know it's heresy and I enjoyed it to an extent but The Sopranos just didn't grip me like other stuff has. The problem for me was that I just didn't like any of the characters, as a result I didn't really care what happened to them.

Anyway, recent worthwhile watches include Staged and Wandavision - both excellent. The Bay is good but the detective's family stuff is terribly clichéd and just gets on the way, Great Pottery Throwdown is joyous and it's always good to have WILTY back.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I know it's heresy and I enjoyed it to an extent but The Sopranos just didn't grip me like other stuff has. The problem for me was that I just didn't like any of the characters, as a result I didn't really care what happened to them.

GfypSz4.gif.d7902f4f7895be95d4e9b2a53a50fe44.gif

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jump said:

I really enjoy it myself. They are emphasising hope and ideals without the universe being squeaky clean which always annoyed me in the 90s shows, god damn Sonequa Martin Green is a good actress and there’s twist and turns in the plot.

The only complaint I have is the ensign becoming the first office which is too big of a jump to make.

The ensign becoming first officer is the least of the stupid things wrong with the show. It’s basically the worst trashy US soap opera set in space. It’s Star Trek for non Star Trek people. I just can’t get past all the crying and complete lack of professionalism in the crew, imagine if Picard had to demote Riker and then they had a little cry about it🙄🙄🙄 vile agenda driven nonsense.

Hard agree on the Sopranos. I was impressed with the production and acting, but I never found it compelling. I never had that feeling that I had to watch another episode when one had just finished, and in the end it felt like a chore I had to get through, because you know 'everyone loves the Sopranos!'

As mentioned, nearly all of the characters are so unlikeable, it just becomes unpleasant to spend time in their company, not to mention Tony's obstructed breathing for 6 seasons. I gave up before the end.

The Wire on the other hand was a masterpiece and utterly compelling, and had many likeable and sympathetic characters on both 'sides'.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah kind of similar to what happened with The Last Jedi iirc - people want/are expecting xxx so let’s do yyy instead to blow peoples minds. 

Suppose that’s the problem with huge franchises that rely on twists and turns these days - you’ve got the entire internet figuring it out and making better plots than you so it’s a constant game of attempting to be one step ahead, often at the expense of good plot or sense.

The last Jedi was just awful though, took a giant dump on everyone’s  childhood and then blamed everyone for not liking it. Oh so westworld is exactly like it.

I haven't seen any 'new' star trek. Lockdown has seen me work my way through Voyager, after finally watching all of DS9 quite recently. I still think it stands up, but stylistically it definitely feels like it comes from another era. One thing I like is getting solid contained stories in a single episode - more and more I appreciate a show that doesn't ask for a lifelong commitment at the outset.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Hard agree on the Sopranos. I was impressed with the production and acting, but I never found it compelling. I never had that feeling that I had to watch another episode when one had just finished, and in the end it felt like a chore I had to get through, because you know 'everyone loves the Sopranos!'

As mentioned, nearly all of the characters are so unlikeable, it just becomes unpleasant to spend time in their company, not to mention Tony's obstructed breathing for 6 seasons. I gave up before the end.

The Wire on the other hand was a masterpiece and utterly compelling, and had many likeable and sympathetic characters on both 'sides'.

ahah I gave up on the wire in season 2 and couldn't stop watching The Sopranos.

(it was years ago I stopped watching The Wire and have been meaning to go back but that was a few years ago now)

10 hours ago, Smeble said:

strangely I thought Season 3 was the first time it felt 'Star Treky'.  I thought season 1 was so far disconnected from any Star Trek before it, it just felt alien.  the only thing worse than that was Lower Decks

4 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The last Jedi was just awful though, took a giant dump on everyone’s  childhood and then blamed everyone for not liking it. Oh so westworld is exactly like it.

I loved The Last Jedi, but my childhood was the prequel trilogy and thus already a giant dump.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

I loved The Last Jedi, but my childhood was the prequel trilogy and thus already a giant dump.

Yeah I liked it too. I mean, the whole ‘fuck your expectations’ aspect was incredibly apparent and fucked over whoever took the helm for the third film, but that removed, it was great. 

Rise of Skywalker on the other hand is awful, and possibly worse than any of the prequels.