When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Andrew Neil is calling for him to go now. 

I can’t see how he’ll last the week, to be honest. He is obviously a scapegoat and didn’t make these decisions himself, but has always seemed way out of his depth in his cabinet position.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Starmer is really intensifying his language. 

I’ve been a labour supporter since my teens and a member for more than 10 years but Keir is already wearing thin on me. Everything I hear feels like a cheap shot rather than anything constructive. Nothing he’s said is wrong, just I’m sure that’s what it looks like to non supporters.

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

Once again I am confused, please can someone help me understand what the hell the governments face mask policy is? A friend is at Junkyard golf club in hackney tonight with some friends, obviously it's an indoor entertainment venue, but no masks being worn by friend (or her friends) or anyone else there from the pictures they've posted- really confused as thought they were supposed to be compulsory in indoor attractions!? 

---

On a side note I've done my first eat out to help out tonight. Local Thai restaurant. In terms of covid measures they couldn't have really done more to be honest; sanitising tables after every guest, made you put hand sanitiser when you came in, perspex screens between tables and all staff in masks and gloves. They also had a sign outside asking customers to wear masks when in the restaurant but not seated, and can take them off when sat at your table (same as the German policy- logical to me). Only about 50-60% of people were adhering to this, and to be honest I found that impressive given its not an official government regulation. Wore my mask going in, got taken to the table, took it off for the meal, and put it back on to go to the toilets and then leave again. Lots of people wearing masks when going to the toilet and moving around the restaurant too which was good.

The food was delicious, and we got the maximum £10 off each, had starters and main courses and the portions were huge and the food was amazing quality. Really delicious. But I can't help but feel the whole experience was a bit stressful. The staff were clearly working off their feet and were clearly so knackered the restaurant was so bloody packed, it must have been fully booked and they were really having to rush around the whole time. They forgot my order but swiftly rectified it. Cant complain given the massive discounts, but then I just feel like because of the discount it was so busy and much more chaotic than I was expecting it to be!

It was nice to eat out again, and I will be taking advantage of the offer when I go away next week, and the food was delicious, but the staff clearly weren't enjoying how busy it was with the discount and I would have perhaps preferred a quieter more relaxed restaurant than a noisy and a chaotic one.

Glad to read you went out and had a nice time. I’m sure all those staff prefer to be rushed than out of work. What happens at the end of the month though? 

5 hours ago, stuie said:

I’ve been a labour supporter since my teens and a member for more than 10 years but Keir is already wearing thin on me. Everything I hear feels like a cheap shot rather than anything constructive. Nothing he’s said is wrong, just I’m sure that’s what it looks like to non supporters.

I’m not a Labour member and I feel completely the opposite. I feel he’s playing this very well, he has to ramp up his language now, if not now when? I’m liking him more and more as time goes on.

Yesterday he was getting criticism that he supports the Government too much now it’s the opposite. The polls indicate he’s doing well and is the most leader of the opposition since Blair. So I think he’s doing a decent job.  

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

So I think he’s doing a decent job.

What helps his case with the average person is that he’s not a career politician. 

He did very well in his chosen career and moved into politics to try and make the country into a better place. Can’t argue with that at all. He’s a voice of logic and reason in the madhouse of lies and bullshit. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What helps his case with the average person is that he’s not a career politician. 

He did very well in his chosen career and moved into politics to try and make the country into a better place. Can’t argue with that at all. He’s a voice of logic and reason in the madhouse of lies and bullshit. 

Agreed. 

Williamson was just interviewed on the BBC breakfast news and it was painful to watch. Tried to blame Ofqual and the parties in charge of the other devolved nations at every opportunity. I’m not sure he’ll see this through (but then again, we all thought that about Cummings - guess Williamson doesn’t have the power though).

6 hours ago, stuie said:

I don't know...he gets criticised for not making more politcal capital out of govt mistakes, and then criticised for point scoring and not being more constructive. Not easy being in opposition at a time of crisis...but on the whole I think he's doing ok. Still a long time before the next election, so at moment all he has to do is make sure he is noticed somehow.

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

They are taking the piss out of us all YET AGAIN. It is absolute, unthinkable shithousery. 

How much longer can they get away with this for!? It’s mind-boggling. 

William Blake’s ‘London’ is more relevant today than it was in the bloody 1700s. 

Just now, Andre91 said:

They are taking the piss out of us all YET AGAIN. It is absolute, unthinkable shithousery. 

William Blake’s ‘London’ is more relevant today than it was in the bloody 1700s. 

they will do until the next election, and then they'll probably win again.

28 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

As long as they keep up with the racism and anti immigrant stuff, people will support them in droves, regardless of how many people they kill or how many times they mess up. Once you realise that, modern politics makes a lot more sense. It’s pretty tragic stuff really

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Until the goals are achieved. Whoever contributed to their majority, on both sides, is responsible for the NHS being destroyed. 

I wouldn't be expecting any competency in this new role for her - her goals rely on her failing...

Actually does that mean overwhelming the NHS would be good for them? I'm suddenly a little distrustful of their attempts to supposoedly stop the virus ....

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Did he kick up much of a stink last time he got fired (when he leaked classified documents)? I don’t remember him being so.

Though I do suppose the PM who sacked him isn’t around any more..

Fired at the start of May, and May announced she'd go by the end of the month, not enough time to cause trouble.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Actually does that mean overwhelming the NHS would be good for them?

Nope, I really don't think so.

I'd say that Spaffer has properly recognised the political imperative of not allowing that to happen. I'd say that's the line of unequivocal and unforgivable failure in the eyes of the UK public.

It might still happen of course because winter flu pretty much does that by itself, but if it does he'll be able to point back to around-now about how he imposed quarantine early for the places with high rates (and might, just perhaps, get away with it because of what he's doing now).

As for changing the finance model off the back of a pandemic, I really can't see that happening either. Politically its totally the wrong time to do it, it doesn't improve the financing anything better than can happen via the current model, and wouldn't give any better guarantee of treatment in the middle of a pandemic.

Of course, never trust a tory with the NHS .... but Spaffer is no idealogue. He has his eye on the votes.

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Until the goals are achieved. Whoever contributed to their majority, on both sides, is responsible for the NHS being destroyed.

Losing the NHS is my biggest fear. 

I rely on them for literally keeping me on my feet. If we ended up with an insurance based system I’d either struggle to get an insurer to cover me with my existing condition or end up with premiums so high I wouldn’t be able to do anything. I know if I was in the US my upcoming surgery and treatment would likely cost well in excess of a $1million purely based on how much the insurance companies force the hospitals to inflate their prices. 

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Losing the NHS is my biggest fear. 

I rely on them for literally keeping me on my feet. If we ended up with an insurance based system I’d either struggle to get an insurer to cover me with my existing condition or end up with premiums so high I wouldn’t be able to do anything. I know if I was in the US my upcoming surgery and treatment would likely cost well in excess of a $1million purely based on how much the insurance companies force the hospitals to inflate their prices. 

I guess the big question is whether it'd be a European style system or a US one - I think we all assume it'll be US just because it makes the most money for people, and obviously 'European' is a dirty concept now. 

But if it's the German etc system people won't be out of pocket and it would probably be better so it might be a reasonable middle ground. I'd probably even support that system. 

But my level of trust is purely that they'll try to be as American as possible now they can

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, I really don't think so.

I'd say that Spaffer has properly recognised the political imperative of not allowing that to happen. I'd say that's the line of unequivocal and unforgivable failure in the eyes of the UK public.

It might still happen of course because winter flu pretty much does that by itself, but if it does he'll be able to point back to around-now about how he imposed quarantine early for the places with high rates (and might, just perhaps, get away with it because of what he's doing now).

As for changing the finance model off the back of a pandemic, I really can't see that happening either. Politically its totally the wrong time to do it, it doesn't improve the financing anything better than can happen via the current model, and wouldn't give any better guarantee of treatment in the middle of a pandemic.

Of course, never trust a tory with the NHS .... but Spaffer is no idealogue. He has his eye on the votes.

I'm more worried if they scapegoat him and kick him out - they'll likely not have a majority like this again so if they're ever going to try....

Edited by efcfanwirral