When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I mean, worldwide daily deaths are climbing, and on average there’s over 5,000 people dying a day due to the virus. So it’s not getting any less deadly unfortunately, it’s just been artificially suppressed in this country which means the deaths are significantly lower than they were during the peak of our first wave.

A00A1558-BFF5-4598-AD76-A34B34D33222.thumb.jpeg.79c0ee829dc19369e5ffa51377f2334b.jpeg

taken from worldometer.

This isn't true.

There are now drugs available that reduce the mortality. Doctors also have treatment protocols and procedures in place now which can reduce mortality which didn't happen before when it was new. 

Still very dangerous but you're less likely to die of it in an ICU then you were. The likely hood that you will die is still too high and obviously more treatments and vaccines are still needed. 

The graph you've shared actually shows the most recent worldwide death trend flattening if not declining.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is it? Sorry I didn’t check that one, it looks like they haven’t updated that part. 

No worries...updated now at 150174.....which as a ratio against positive tests makes the graph look like this.  Bit of a rollercoaster at present but I'm guessing that the peak today could be due to the localised outbreaks in last few days and the delay between test and result skewing the ratio.

Screenshot_20200818-185434_Sheets.jpg

Edited by parsonjack

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not actually anything about Labour in there.  What the fuck does Keir stand for anyway?  Competence is good and all, but what does he want to do?  

Broadly, he believes in a lot of the same things as Corbyn. After all, he served as a key member of Corbyn’s cabinet.

He just knows a lot of that sort of thing doesn’t fly with the British public. Better to blag your way into number 10 and then become an ideologue from the inside than to go ideologue too early and ruin any chance at getting in at all. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Broadly, he believes in a lot of the same things as Corbyn. After all, he served as a key member of Corbyn’s cabinet.

He just knows a lot of that sort of thing doesn’t fly with the British public. Better to blag your way into number 10 and then become an ideologue from the inside than to go ideologue too early and ruin any chance at getting in at all. 

I hope so. I'm almost certain to vote for him, but I'd like to see a bit of human being behind the poker player.

Germany has extended its furlough by an extra 12 months so now it will run for a total of 2 years, until March 2022. This is to avoid hundreds of thousands of redundancies if the furlough was to end in March 2021.

Germany’s lockdown easing has also been paused by Angela merkel due to a spike in cases.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/germany-to-extend-coronavirus-furlough-to-24-months

I find this worrying for the UK- we are planning on ending furlough in October yet we only got 30-40% of our population back to work, when Germany has got around double that percentage of people back to work. If the UK furlough indeed ends in October so many jobs will be lost and so many industries will collapse. With fears of a second wave come winter and the live music industry significantly impacted by this pandemic, as we have discussed before, it could be one of the many industries which could completely collapse if furlough is to end, and hundreds of thousands of jobs lost across all different sectors.

I really think they won’t have a choice but to extend the scheme, perhaps it will be remodelled into a different format, but I think there will have to be more financial support from the government from October onwards. 

Our case increase today is also lower than last week which I guess is a positive.

8 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I really think they won’t have a choice but to extend the scheme, perhaps it will be remodelled into a different format, but I think there will have to be more financial support from the government from October 

Hmm, it might already be too late. Many of the redundancies have happened or are in process. Can’t imagine a way those people can be helped after they’ve had redundancy payments... Companies won’t take them back just to stick on furlough. Would they? (Of course, you’re right, there are many many more job losses to come though) 

Perhaps a solution could be some kind of Universal Basic Income in rolling 6 month blocks or something? 

31 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Germany has extended its furlough by an extra 12 months so now it will run for a total of 2 years, until March 2022. This is to avoid hundreds of thousands of redundancies if the furlough was to end in March 2021.

Germany’s lockdown easing has also been paused by Angela merkel due to a spike in cases.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/germany-to-extend-coronavirus-furlough-to-24-months

I find this worrying for the UK- we are planning on ending furlough in October yet we only got 30-40% of our population back to work, when Germany has got around double that percentage of people back to work. If the UK furlough indeed ends in October so many jobs will be lost and so many industries will collapse. With fears of a second wave come winter and the live music industry significantly impacted by this pandemic, as we have discussed before, it could be one of the many industries which could completely collapse if furlough is to end, and hundreds of thousands of jobs lost across all different sectors.

I really think they won’t have a choice but to extend the scheme, perhaps it will be remodelled into a different format, but I think there will have to be more financial support from the government from October onwards. 

Our case increase today is also lower than last week which I guess is a positive.

? Is say its a positive....

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's such a good video, I was tempted to cross post to the good news and future of festivals posts.

We're going to be fine, these vaccines are going to do the biz, I'm convinced. Glasto on!

I love your positivity! I’m wary of the next 4-6 weeks schools going. back etc but need some of your vibes to see me through.

52 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Where does that 30-40% figure come from? Do you mean 30 to 40% of those furloughed?

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not actually anything about Labour in there.  What the fuck does Keir stand for anyway?  Competence is good and all, but what does he want to do?  

That’s the thing they don’t need to say at this stage too much about what they would do differently. Competence at this stage is massive, if a party in the eyes of the public losing the perception of competence they are at a massive disadvantage. The Conservatives lost that with Major and it took them years to recover, Labour lost it with Brown and look what happened to them.

It looks like they have found their line which they feel is having a cut through with the public. It isn’t too full and emotive so people would be more likely to take out on board.

Take your general voter they could hear all this about the government lacking competence then think about all the things that has happened recently and start to think ‘Yeah they do seem a bit useless’ thus process starts of the parties changing in the eyes of some of the public. 

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s the thing they don’t need to say at this stage too much about what they would do differently. Competence at this stage is massive, if a party in the eyes of the public losing the perception of competence they are at a massive disadvantage. The Conservatives lost that with Major and it took them years to recover, Labour lost it with Brown and look what happened to them.

It looks like they have found their line which they feel is having a cut through with the public. It isn’t too full and emotive so people would be more likely to take out on board.

Take your general voter they could hear all this about the government lacking competence then think about all the things that has happened recently and start to think ‘Yeah they do seem a bit useless’ thus process starts of the parties changing in the eyes of some of the public. 

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

at moment I think competence is pretty important.

You're both missing my question. I'm not questioning his strategy, or questioning the importance of competence. I just want to know what he is actually about, other than avoiding any arguments with Zionists.