When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 hours ago, BobWillis2 said:

What a load of bollocks, 83% aren’t even wearing a face mask today. 

Who fills out these Yougov polls? 😆😆

It could be selection bias from YouGov but it could also be selection bias in what you're seeing. Vast, vast swathes of people are still not going out places where you need masks, certainly not regularly. And I know there's a desperate desire on here to believe pub and restaurant numbers are low just because people only want to go to the pub if they can do it in a group of 8 and not wear a mask to the toilet, but the reality is that outside the tourist hot-spots, pubs and restaurants aren't full most of the time. Because big chunks of people are not going to them. Some never went to them before the pandemic either.

The flip side of this is that it's easy for those people to say "we should keep mask wearing" because it doesn't have impact on them whatsoever anyway.

32 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

This war over face masks really isn't helpful.  Government really have behaved like c**ts about it.

I want the freedom to not wear one and I want the freedom for others to wear one if they choose.  That is fair enough.

But the papers are again full of comments from the pro mask lobby saying if you don't wear one it means you don't care about others.  Its totally toxic and untrue.

It seems respect over individual choice only flows one way.

Yeah, we're on the opposite side of the argument as to the effectiveness of masks but the government approach is entirely useless. You can't make it a personal choice when it's something done for the benefit of others. It'll cause conflict and is potentially disastrous for the economy. 

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

Because one individual choice spreads the virus and the other doesn't? I can individually choose to go around licking door handles and coughing in grannies face and that's my individual choice, doesn't mean it should be respected.

Some top class conflating there. 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:A colleague of mine has just been to Greece for two weeks and tested her way out of the quarantine on return (it's on amber list). I'm guessing people who can afford to will still do this.

I’ve just done the same (come back from an Amber country and will be testing to release).

The logic of taking a test on day 5 (which allows you to leave quarantine and do what you wish....) but still having to take and pay for the day 8 test makes no sense to me at all.

As usual it’s no problem if you’ve got some disposable income... but for plenty of people the cost of testing just makes it non-viable. 

Im all for testing to keep people safe but it seems nonsensical to me that we’re being so careful in one regard but also binning off all restrictions. Yes we don’t want any new variants.... but with no social distancing in place if one gets in, it’ll have its wicked way.

The tin foil hat on my head reckons it’s a purely economical decision. Keep everyone in the UK spending their money here this summer.... cept for the folks with tons of money of course 🤑

51 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Geoff Barton, general-secretary of the ASCL union, told Sky News: "By the end of this term, if we continue at the rate that we're going at the moment - 640,000 young people not in school and almost half as many again also not in school, this is the big untold story - not because they've been told to self-isolate, they've simply disappeared.

"It's almost as if parents are voting with their feet. If you look at the beaches of Cornwall that might give us some indication of where those young people are at the moment.

"There's something about this term we just have to grit our teeth and get through as best we can."

This is a load of bollock!  Loads of schools kicking kids out due to the stupid rules.  Nothing to do with term time holidays.  The unions have been fucking unless during this whole thing.  

Purely anecdotal I know, but we've seen a lot of families with school age kids staying during the week, even before the Scottish holidays started. No idea what their personal circumstances are obviously or how many it is compared to those having to isolate due to a case in their class, but it's enough that it's noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Did I say it didnt? 

On to logical fallacies now, youre doing great.

Thanks 🥰

If you think that masks help stop transmission but choose not wear them in confined public places then you're happy for the virus to spread through the population. If you don't think that masks help to stop spread then you're choosing to ignore the evidence.

In US wearing a mask is a sign of your political stance. Those on left wear them, those on right don't. Proper hard lefties wear multiple masks, proper hard righties make sure they spray their spit everywhere. Maybe we'll import that bit of culture war over here to go with all the other bits.

Edited by steviewevie

55 minutes ago, Havors said:

Got unlucky with a jobsworth at the walk in centre it seems. I got mine 7 weeks and partner 6 weeks. 

Not jobworths, I volunteer at a Vaccination Centre, they were making value judgments up until a couple of weeks ago. Instruction from Department of Health briefed  at the start of last week stating none before 8 weeks.
I believe there is science behind AZ being 8 weeks for optimum efficacy, but they seem to have applied it to Pfizer which WHO state is 4 weeks. The centres have gone from operating at maximum capacity of around 400-450 per day to doing 80-100 in the last week, this happens at the tailend of each age group. Not sure if it may be a supply issue as the 1st Pfizers for under 40s started in mid May so 2nd based on 8 weeks are due to start next week.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

In US wearing a mask is a sign of your political stance. Those on left wear them, those on right don't. Proper hard lefties wear multiple masks, proper hard righties make sure they spray their spit everywhere. Maybe we'll import that bit of culture war over here to go with all the other bits.

Interestingly don't think this carries over to the UK, as much as right wing media would like it to - doesn't seem to be a wedge issue. 

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Based on this thread, I imagine most people will delete their app

I've not deleted the app but I have turned off the contact tracing which I guess in turn makes the app useless anyhow?

36 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Based on this thread, I imagine most people will delete their app

I was at Boxpark croydon last week. Of course got a ping to self isolate. Three Negative tests. Pointless. Im going to a stag next weekend (week before latitiude). I shall be deleting the app. Cant risk that happening again. They need to scrap the need to self isolate if you have back to back negative tests. 

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Purely anecdotal I know, but we've seen a lot of families with school age kids staying during the week, even before the Scottish holidays started. No idea what their personal circumstances are obviously or how many it is compared to those having to isolate due to a case in their class, but it's enough that it's noticeable.

Would stand to reason: all the arguments about kids being majorly impacted if they miss a week of school are now out the window after the past year, then on top of that is the fact that you'll be hard pressed to find space anywhere to go on holiday in the UK over the summer holidays this year

Plus I doubt many schools are doing much to combat truancy at this point. The numbers in that tweet seem a tad high, but I would expect there to still be a significant impact.

10 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Thanks 🥰

If you think that masks help stop transmission but choose not wear them in confined public places then you're happy for the virus to spread through the population. If you don't think that masks help to stop spread then you're choosing to ignore the evidence.

But this is the point. Not mixing stops the spread so to follow your logic to the extreme anyone who goes out to a public place is somehow in the wrong.

If it is down to personal and choice and the individual believes they arent likely to have the virus (dble jabbed pr whatever) let alone pass it on (large outside events) then it is down to them to do as they see is the right thing.

If people start shouting about - you have no respect for anyone else- i cant see many people saying 'you know what, i havent thought about this at all before.  You are right and i will change my ways immediately. ' it's gonna be a 'fuck off ' and once again chances for reasonable debate and conversations are closed down. Not just about this but it will create huge differences of opinions where sides are going to be taken when there should be no sides.

If you truly believe even 5percent of people wear a mask correctly that would make the difference you believe then i would suggest ypu may be mistaken.

Touch the mask- makes it a hotbed. Move it under your nose, on your chin. Remove it and put it back on. Wear it for more than (advice was 45 minutes but that got stretched to four hours in non clinical settings during the great mask shortage 2020) its basically stopping nothing. 

At that point it is purely a tokenism act.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Got unlucky with a jobsworth at the walk in centre it seems. I got mine 7 weeks and partner 6 weeks. 

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

Northern Ireland!

Our guidance over here is 6 weeks for Pfizer and 8 for AZ. I got mine 6 weeks to the day from my first dose.

So annoying.

Might try a different centre. 

23 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Not mixing stops the spread so to follow your logic to the extreme anyone who goes out to a public place is somehow in the wrong.

Right but this greatly impacts the individual not going out - having to wear a mask on public transport isn't the same as asking people not to leave the house. I'm really not sure what the big drama is about wearing a mask in certain situations?

25 minutes ago, danmarks said:

If you truly believe even 5percent of people wear a mask correctly that would make the difference you believe then i would suggest ypu may be mistaken.

Got a source for this?

6 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

How do you turn it off? on mine it can only be paused by up to 12 hours.

Good question as I can't remember exactly but pretty sure if you do it for any duration it prompts you to switch tracing back on once time is up and you can press to say no.

It's something along those lines anyway.

• Like 1

New Zealand already considering putting UK on a no-fly list. Other countries will inevitably follow.

One of the consequences of the UK taking the decision to allow millions to be infected with Covid is it will isolate itself from countries who'd prefer not to let UK domestic policy impact their strategies.

Just now, kalifire said:

New Zealand already considering putting UK on a no-fly list. Other countries will inevitably follow.

One of the consequences of the UK taking the decision to allow millions to be infected with Covid is it will isolate itself from countries who'd prefer not to let UK domestic policy impact their strategies.

yeah...I can see this being an issue for those countries who's holiday resorts really need british tourists...

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Is anyone even getting in to NZ from the Uk at the moment anyway? People are mainly going to be going from here to Europe and their cases are about to rise as well as delta takes hold as they open up.