When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Yup, I posted the new info (about the cancel-then-rebook system being improved) on Instagram today, and have had 5 friends (who I thought were fairly up to date with the news and tech-savvy) amazed that you could do this and/or having to be talking through the process and reassured.

In other words, tell everyone you know

they should be notifying people.

8 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Just watching the footy from Denmark, full crowd and no masks. How come thier shit has ended and ours hasn't? 

The Danish and our shit has ended at least for a while (this summer). But yeah, hard to say (maybe because we do not have such large indian communities, maybe our travel system was much more effective) - so the indian variant has not taken over here yet, but european countries have to think of this now as cases are already popping up, because otherwise the autumn together with an expected very strong flu season could be rather problematic, especially for the younger population.

30 minutes ago, Havors said:

I think a lot of people have their 2nd jab booked for 12 weeks after first and are not even contemplating trying to move it forward. Through not realising they can or just not being bothered with any hassle. 

They need to advertise that people can bring their 2nd dose forward and encourage them to do it. I think otherwise will just see this 200-300k mark day after day

And make some of these walk in centres permanent - not just pop ups that you see on social media hours after they've gone. Take over squares in the centre of cities full time for the next five weeks. Word will get round and you'll pick up some of the waverers.

16 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Just watching the footy from Denmark, full crowd and no masks. How come thier shit has ended and ours hasn't? 

Not really full and they still have the testing requirements. Looks packed though but a bit deceptive.

Occupancy:

15,900 fans (approx. 45%)

Proof required upon entry:

Negative Covid 19 test result, proof of Covid 19 vaccination or proof of Covid 19 immunity

Edited by Copperface

18 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We lack balls

Denmark - 48% (1st) 26% (2nd)

They don't have many cases though...

They lack the Delta Variant and a hopeless leader.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Whitty has been making a speech...(copy and paste got a bit messed up)

Summary of Chris Whitty's speech to NHS Confederation

Here are the main points from Prof Chris Whitty’s speech to the NHS Confederation.

• Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, said he expected a further Covid surge in the autumn or winter. He said:

In terms of the medium term, my expectation is that we will get a further winter surge, late autumn/winter surge. That is because we know that winter and autumn favour respiratory viruses, and therefore it would be very surprising if this highly transmissible- respiratory virus was not also favoured.

So therefore we’ll get the current wave, an exit wave, and then I do think most people think that there will be further problems over the winter.

How big they’ll be I think is uncertain, and that partly depends on do we get new variants which evade vaccines better, and partly depends on how the current wave passes through the UK.

• He said he expected next winter to be challenging for the NHS. That was because it would probably be dealing with Covid and flu. Last winter there was little flu, he said. But he said unless the Covid situation got so bad that people started reducing their contacts, flu would come back. He went on:

So either we will have a very significant Covid surge, people will minimise their contacts and we will have less respiratory viruses or people will get back to a more normal life, there will be some Covid but on top of that we will go back to having a flu surge, an RSV surge in children and so on.

So I think we need to be aware and braced for the fact that the coming winter may well be quite a difficult one, not probably on the scale of the last one ... which was really the worst I think any of us can remember, but still quite a significant one. We as the NHS have to brace ourselves for that.

• He said that currently a Covid surge was underway and that cases would continue to rise for the next few weeks. He said this would lead to further hospitalisations and deaths. But he said it was not clear how big the surge would be.
  • He said that after five years he thought vaccines would be available that could “hold the line” against a range of variants. He said:

In terms of the medium to longer term, if I look five years out, I would expect us to have polyvalent vaccines which will hold the line to a very large degree against even new variants as they come in, and an ability to respond with vaccination to new variants.

• But he said until then new vaccination programmes might be needed. He said:
  •  

But the period over the next two or three years, I think new variants may will lead to us having to re-vaccinate or consider at least boosting vaccination as they come through.

We have to just be aware that Covid has not thrown its last surprise at us and there will be there will be several more over the next period.

End of the beginning, not beginning of the end. 

Wish I'd bought shares in Pfizer or something a year ago though...

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And make some of these walk in centres permanent - not just pop ups that you see on social media hours after they've gone. Take over squares in the centre of cities full time for the next five weeks. Word will get round and you'll pick up some of the waverers.

and ask the local news to talk about them  along with their case rate updates 

39 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Your catching up on vaccinations so fingers crossed you will be fine.

yeah, hopefully, our approach to open up fully, even with gigs and clubs possible without masks is rather optimistic. There are always some delays in the vaccination campaign - the target to get all adults vaccinated has been moved from end of June to end of July. And some experts/media are not happy with the full opening always referring to UK and the Delta there. But this time they are in the minority. Surely cases will go up again with the full opening starting 1st July. And also surely the Delta will come here too, but the question is when it will find a foot in the door and if most of the population will be vaccinated by then to keep it under control, especially because those experts are warning that there could be a strong flu season in Europe this year too.

44 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Not really full and they still have the testing requirements. Looks packed though but a bit deceptive.

Occupancy:

15,900 fans (approx. 45%)

Proof required upon entry:

Negative Covid 19 test result, proof of Covid 19 vaccination or proof of Covid 19 immunity

the situation in Europe is also variable. just saw the pre-match report to Netherlands vs. Austria and it was said that you can not buy a beer in Amsterdam after 10 pm, even the petrol stations are closed then. Here no attendance limits and curfews and registration in restaurants from 1st July needed, Germany is much more strict even having lower cases than us, but some counties are hesitating with opening up hospitality, Italy no outdoor masks but indoor masks. But all only possible with the 3Gs how it is called here, vaccinated, tested or recovered, if you don`t have it or don`t want it you can do nearly nothing, at least no sporting events, going out eating or gigs, cinema or gym, or this all this and other things are not possible without this.

When people say we have to learn to live with it what do they think that means? That we carry on as we were pre-pandemic but live with a certain amount of extra illness and death; or that we adapt our lives to live with this virus and potential new ones in the future? 

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

When people say we have to learn to live with it what do they think that means? That we carry on as we were pre-pandemic but live with a certain amount of extra illness and death; or that we adapt our lives to live with this virus and potential new ones in the future? 

Yes. We manage it the same way we do flu. Only with covid the vaccines are much more effective... at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Black fungus

I struggle to see how its linked to covid. Other than there is a lot of people with fucked immune systems spreading to each other...  and if thats the case its a bit misleading to report it as "linked to covid" 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Covid seems nastier than winter flu virus, more infectious and deadly...but yeah, vaccines.

It is but I just mean the same way we have 10s of thousands of flu deaths and nobody bats an eyelid we will have similar numbers of covid unfortunately. Unless the vaccines are shit hot and it keeps deaths very low as we progress year on year.