When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

33 minutes ago, Havors said:

I struggle to see how its linked to covid. Other than there is a lot of people with fucked immune systems spreading to each other...  and if thats the case its a bit misleading to report it as "linked to covid" 

Doctors believe mucormycosis, which has an overall mortality rate of 50%, may be being triggered by the use of steroids, a life-saving treatment for severe and critically ill Covid-19 patients.

Steroids reduce inflammation in the lungs for Covid-19 and appear to help stop some of the damage that can happen when the body's immune system goes into overdrive to fight off coronavirus. But they also reduce immunity and push up blood sugar levels in both diabetics and non-diabetic Covid-19 patients.

It's thought that this drop in immunity could be triggering these cases of mucormycosis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57027829

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

Doctors believe mucormycosis, which has an overall mortality rate of 50%, may be being triggered by the use of steroids, a life-saving treatment for severe and critically ill Covid-19 patients.

Steroids reduce inflammation in the lungs for Covid-19 and appear to help stop some of the damage that can happen when the body's immune system goes into overdrive to fight off coronavirus. But they also reduce immunity and push up blood sugar levels in both diabetics and non-diabetic Covid-19 patients.

It's thought that this drop in immunity could be triggering these cases of mucormycosis.

😢😩😭

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

😢😩😭

Most likely more common in India though than here due to probable exposure to the fungal spores it was listing. Hopefully shouldn't affect us too much. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Not been cinema since Feb 2020 and just booked to go on Saturday and Sunday!  After someone mentioned about the free tickets via the lottery and they also do mega cheap tickets for Kids films.

In the heights looks funky and wife really wants to see so hitting that Saturday.  Then watching the Disney film Raya.

The idea of sitting there for 2 hours + in mask is filling me with anxiety but the kids and the wife want to bloody go so - off we go.  Going to try one of those paper disposable ones - my clothes one just makes me want to run out of the building.  Hopeful no one else is bother to wear one - and will be buying the biggest popcorn bucket and eating really slow lol!

Next time I’m going to a cinema is when they release Topgun 2.

The virus has probably helped in a way because it’s delayed the inevitable disappointment I’ll feel after the film when I realise it’s not a splash on the original 😂

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not been cinema since Feb 2020 and just booked to go on Saturday and Sunday!  After someone mentioned about the free tickets via the lottery and they also do mega cheap tickets for Kids films.

In the heights looks funky and wife really wants to see so hitting that Saturday.  Then watching the Disney film Raya.

The idea of sitting there for 2 hours + in mask is filling me with anxiety but the kids and the wife want to bloody go so - off we go.  Going to try one of those paper disposable ones - my clothes one just makes me want to run out of the building.  Hopeful no one else is bother to wear one - and will be buying the biggest popcorn bucket and eating really slow lol!

I find the cloth ones best for breathabilty … mine has a filter inside but could easily not … I’ve tried several different ones including N95s and find this one much better 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Next time I’m going to a cinema is when they release Topgun 2.

fuckin'ell. That will be a massive pile of shit.

My missus got two free tickets for Manchester's arty independent type cinema for this weekend and there's only a few things on worth watching imo and all of them are booked up (or you can't get two seats together)..

Wouldn't mind seeing new Bond film though, when is that coming out? And Dune?

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I find the cloth ones best for breathabilty … mine has a filter inside but could easily not … I’ve tried several different ones including N95s and find this one much better 

I cut holes in mine for my nostrils and mouth. Makes eating a lot easier.

19 minutes ago, Copperface said:

15 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Most likely more common in India though than here due to probable exposure to the fungal spores it was listing. Hopefully shouldn't affect us too much. 

Yep media are making it sound scary as if it'll happen here, but I've read a few times that it's more conditions in India that drive it. Not that you'd get that from our headlines  

53 minutes ago, Havors said:

It is but I just mean the same way we have 10s of thousands of flu deaths and nobody bats an eyelid we will have similar numbers of covid unfortunately. Unless the vaccines are shit hot and it keeps deaths very low as we progress year on year. 

I keep seeing this thing about a vast number of flu deaths annually and wasn't sure. Had a look and we don't have 10s of thousands of deaths annually. To me that would indicate 20k plus as a norm.

Even in the 2008/9 flu outbreak there were apparently 14,222 deaths attributed to flu. The lowest was 4,253 in 2007/8.(E&W only)

128,000 odd kind of shades those figures.

For the geeks, here's the model used:

equation image

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3859479/

12 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I keep seeing this thing about a vast number of flu deaths annually and wasn't sure. Had a look and we don't have 10s of thousands of deaths annually. To me that would indicate 20k plus as a norm.

Even in the 2008/9 flu outbreak there were apparently 14,222 deaths attributed to flu. The lowest was 4,253 in 2007/8.(E&W only)

equation image

Even more surprising from a pretty convincing source:

In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). 

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

25 minutes ago, Copperface said:

equation image

10s of thousands.... 10k average a year is 10s of thousands. But feel free to be that guy..... 

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

10s of thousands.... 10k average a year is 10s of thousands. But feel free to be that guy..... 

Just looking for a bit of accuracy as opposed to hyperbole.

The average according to Oxford Uni is 600 p.a.

Edited by Copperface

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If that's the case every country needs to shut us out til variant vaccines are in 

I was thinking about this and wondering how many lives could be saved by countries not allowing their own citizens to leave their country when variants emerge where they live, rather than focusing on stopping people coming into their country when a variants emerges elsewhere. Must be a massive impact. Think of the delta variant (India) or alpha variant (uk). If we, or India, stopped our citizens travelling from our own countries elsewhere then I wonder how that would have helped the spread of those variants to other countries. I suppose that's the problem, we are far more interested in our own, or our own nation's welfare, than the common good globally. That's human nature I suppose and has always been the case. Interesting thought though