When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This focusses on one aspect, schools. I don’t know how anyone can watch this and not believe how badly the government have handled this.

that one day back at school was the very worst of everything.

We could have taken advantage of the isolation many kids (and so also families) would have had from the xmas break, but no, instead we force them all to mix and make things much worse than they might have been.

And govt services controlled from Westminster are still forcing people into work when WFH is possible, and spreading covid because of it.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

We could have taken advantage of the isolation many kids (and so also families) would have had from the xmas break, but no, instead we force them all to mix and make things much worse than they might have been.

And govt services controlled from Westminster are still forcing people into work when WFH is possible, and spreading covid because of it.

It’s completely ridiculous especially when you take into account the more transmissible variant. I wonder how much truth there is that Johnson was ‘the last man standing’ about schools and if so why it isn’t getting much attention. As I said yesterday the Tories are playing politics on easy mode. 

Edited by Ozanne

37 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This focusses on one aspect, schools. I don’t know how anyone can watch this and not believe how badly the government have handled this.

Whilst its important for children to learn its equally important to keep them and their families safe which is why we chose to close on the monday when we were ordered to go in, we were so glad we did because the announcement later that day infuriated every member of staff equally. Why risk opening for a single day before shutting again, it was unsafe and reckless to in the face of the new variant, especially when  we were in tier 4 and 2 hours from the london hotspot 

7 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Whilst its important for children to learn its equally important to keep them and their families safe which is why we chose to close on the monday when we were ordered to go in, we were so glad we did because the announcement later that day infuriated every member of staff equally. Why risk opening for a single day before shutting again, it was unsafe and reckless to in the face of the new variant, especially when  we were in tier 4 and 2 hours from the london hotspot 

What was the risk to the school from the legal perspective at that stage do you know?

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The DFE offices in Manchester and Sheffield are working from home many of the DWP offices are home working too.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What was the risk to the school from the legal perspective at that stage do you know?

We were backed by the council on any decision we made after the holidays had finished and told there would be no repercussions, all other schools in the area made the same decision too. We then spent the day off working out who would qualify to come in as key worker/vulnerable so we managed to open on the tuesday as planned whilst other places had to do what we'd done on the monday 

7 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

We were backed by the council on any decision we made after the holidays had finished and told there would be no repercussions, all other schools in the area made the same decision too. We then spent the day off working out who would qualify to come in as key worker/vulnerable so we managed to open on the tuesday as planned whilst other places had to do what we'd done on the monday 

That something I suppose that your council backed your school. You still shouldn’t have been put in that position in the first place. For a start Williamson should resign and hopefully the future public enquiry will uncover exactly what happened in those days regarding schools. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That something I suppose that your council backed your school. You still shouldn’t have been put in that position in the first place. For a start Williamson should resign and hopefully the future public enquiry will uncover exactly what happened in those days regarding schools. 

I agree the enquiry will be a really interesting time to find what actually happened behind the decision making 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

it was just kind of weird...was it Williamson pushing for them to open? They must have known that the data was really bad, but had to wait till their monday meeting? Very odd.

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

For a start Williamson should resign and hopefully the future public enquiry will uncover exactly what happened in those days regarding schools. 

Williamson won't resign. He thinks he's too clever for such a lowly job.

Spaffer will dump Williamson pretty damn quick as soon as he feels covid is no longer an issue for schools.

Spaffer won't dump him before that, as having to sack 2 education secretaries would reflect badly* on Spaffer.
(* yeah, I know. lol)

8 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I agree the enquiry will be a really interesting time to find what actually happened behind the decision making 

I wonder when there will be an enquiry, I imagine they will stall for as long as poss. Anyway, I really think Johnson is going to get away with all this if we come out of lockdown and ease restrictions earlier than our neighbours because of a successful vaccine rollout.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder when there will be an enquiry, I imagine they will stall for as long as poss. Anyway, I really think Johnson is going to get away with all this if we come out of lockdown and ease restrictions earlier than our neighbours because of a successful vaccine rollout.

Yup! Saying that, if we benefit from his motives in this way from a faster vaccine roll out...

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You’re probably right because the Tories get away with everything. They can do so much wrong but as soon as they do one thing right everything is forgotten. It’s remarkable how they’ve wired the public to give them this easy ride. Take the free school meals saga from the summer where the Tories voted AGAINST free school meals for kids, yet some were more annoyed that the Angela Raynor called a Tory MP scum rather than voting against meals for kids.

Let’s not forget there has been 100k deaths in the pandemic here because of how they’ve handled this and they still get the support they do. They shouldn’t get let off because we end up benefitting from the vaccine they roll out, they should be held to task for all of it.

People are quick to forget exactly what has happened in this country.

(Yes, before anyone says anything they have done well with the vaccine rollout and should be credited for that.)

14 hours ago, mikegday said:

But you cant half the amount to 155k because you have 316000 each day needing their 2nd dose from the first 12 week’s. it’s almost a spiral were we need ever increasing vaccines.

or in 12 weeks we have very few vaccines to give first dose, and that remains for the next 12 weeks until this first lot are done. Then suddenly in 24 weeks we have a LOAD of vaccines and very few people on their 2nd dose.

Mind blown.

Not really, because by week 12 we would’ve been ramping up to that capacity the entire time. When we just had the Pfizer vaccine we were vaccinating very small number by comparisons, when we hit the 12 week mark the numbers needing their second shot will be comparatively low. Surely it only becomes an issue 12 weeks on from maximum capacity?

By week 12 there won’t be anywhere near 316k a day needing their second jab, because 12 weeks prior we probably weren’t doing that a week.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You’re probably right because the Tories get away with everything. They can do so much wrong but as soon as they do one thing right everything is forgotten. It’s remarkable how they’ve wired the public to give them this easy ride. Take the free school meals saga from the summer where the Tories voted AGAINST free school meals for kids, yet some were more annoyed that the Angela Raynor called a Tory MP scum rather than voting against meals for kids.

Let’s not forget there has been 100k deaths in the pandemic here because of how they’ve handled this and they still get the support they do. They shouldn’t get let off because we end up benefitting from the vaccine they roll out, they should be held to task for all of it.

(Yes, before anyone says anything they have done well with the vaccine rollout and should be credited for that.)

I think it's also just human nature to not dwell on the past but look to the future...and Johnson will be doing his optimistic schtick promising to build bridges and stuff. But then again, the defecit is going to be humungus, and are they going to want to start reducing that before next election? Could be painful.

There was a clever guest on The Last Leg last night (didn’t catch her name but saw a previous BBC documentary by her about whether ‘luck’ exists) and she said gigs and shows in rammed/full capacity venues will be back this time next year, but probably not before.

Guess we’d have gradual, limited capacity events leading up to that?

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's funny how some people seem to think "can't vote for Labour because of Iraq, can't vote for Lib Dems because of tuition fees, have Tories done anything unforgivable? Nah, I'm sure they're fine".

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

There was a clever guest on The Last Leg last night (didn’t catch her name but saw a previous BBC documentary by her about whether ‘luck’ exists) and she said gigs and shows in rammed/full capacity venues will be back this time next year, but probably not before.

Guess we’d have gradual, limited capacity events leading up to that?

That was Dr Hannah Fry.

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's also just human nature to not dwell on the past but look to the future...and Johnson will be doing his optimistic schtick promising to build bridges and stuff. But then again, the defecit is going to be humungus, and are they going to want to start reducing that before next election? Could be painful.

If you want to dwell on the past...

Will be a grimly fascinating follow