When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Yeah.... I agree with this

She’s absolutely right. There’s plenty to criticise this detestable Government for, but you don’t need to force it. You have to give praise where it’s due. Otherwise it’s just the Boy who cried Wolf, utterly meaningless noise and people Switch off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Let's see if the government listens or if we end up the only country to lift lockdown for the last time (too early) and overwhelm the hospitals with younger people...

It’s not just a case of the Government listening. Once the most vulnerable are Vaccinated they won’t be able to hold people back. Hopefully by end of March cases will have come down as well anyway.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ok...so we are agreed that govt are succeeding with vaccine rollout so far but utterly failed at dealing with the pandemic otherwise?

I think that's the closest we'll ever come to consensus on this thread.

Edit: I don't mean you and I, I mean the whole thread.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Up to half those offered vaccine in Birmingham covid hotspots refusing to have it
Health chief stresses: 'This vaccine is safe and is only being offered to people at real risk of dying'

Up to 50 per cent of vulnerable people in some of the worst-affected parts of Birmingham are declining the covid vaccines. Asian and black community leaders across Birmingham are being urged to help health chiefs share vaccine safety messages amid fears those most at risk of dying are holding back from getting protected."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/up-half-those-offered-vaccine-19629960

3 hours ago, mikegday said:

I don’t understand. 12 weeks from today we will need 316,000 each day just to dish out the 2nd doses (because we have 316,000 first dose yesterday). So when you said, assuming no more increase, in 12 weeks we could half the 316,000 daily vaccines and do 155k first dose, 155k second dose. You couldn’t surely? You could only use any potential excess of 316,000 on first doses. I get that initially the numbers are a lot lower - but there will come a time (12 weeks from now) when we will have to start doing 316,000 2nd doses a day - in which case to get 155k first doses (as suggested) out we’d need more like 470k vaccines supplied a day. 

We’re basically plucking numbers out of thin air - but one certainty is the fantastic numbers they’re dishing out of 1st doses now will be banging on the door for their 2nd dose in 12 weeks time.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

But we will be levelling up to potentially around 500k doses a day. 

If 500K is a maximum due to supply or staffing limitations then all first doses must stop after 12 weeks to switch to doing second doses. We could then end up in cycle of 12 weeks first dose followed by 12 weeks second dose.

4 minutes ago, alanr said:

If 500K is a maximum due to supply or staffing limitations then all first doses must stop after 12 weeks to switch to doing second doses. We could then end up in cycle of 12 weeks first dose followed by 12 weeks second dose.

I dont think 500k a day is the maximum due to staffing/supply limitations.  In 3 months time could be you can get your second oxford dose in a lot more places.

Anyway I'm seeing the positives of getting as many first doses as possible.

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Ireland completely ignored the NPHET advice didn't they? And then I saw yesterday the govt saying 'HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?'

It was a little more complicated than that really. NPHET advice as we moved out of level 5 at the start of December (with the lowest case incidence in Europe) was that they couldn’t open hospitality and allow household visits, so they decided to open hospitality and keep the ban on household visits and inter county travel in place til Christmas week. In reality, all that did was allow people to mix socially prior to Christmas and then pass infections on to their family when they met up with them. Coupled with loads of people coming home for Christmas and soft enforcement of self-isolation rules, it was a recipe for disaster. Today was the first day we had more discharges from hospital than admissions, so hopefully the tide is turning. Still a long way to go though.

Hmmmm. Not massively reassuring for the Chinese vaccine

Sinopharm, a state-owned giant in China’s coronavirus vaccine development, announced its chairman left the board Tuesday.

The company cited personal reasons for Li Zhiming’s resignation, according to a filing for the Hong Kong-listed company. Li Hui, a director and audit committee member of Sinopharm subsidiary China National Medicines Corp. also resigned Tuesday due to personal reasons, a separate filing disclosed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/china-vaccine-maker-sinopharm-says-chairman-and-a-director-resigned.html

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'd actually go further and say I've been grateful for furlough at times too.

Yeah, furlough has been the one policy that I've been impressed by.  I don't think we should be too critical of the testing either, as while there were some bumps on the road when you look at the numbers we have achieved it is the largest mass testing programme in our history, we are performing over 600k tests each day right now.

Much of this government's response has been a day late and a dollar short, but I'm not going to deny the successes.

25 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Much of this government's response has been a day late and a dollar short, but I'm not going to deny the successes.

Always late and always giving their friends contracts that they fail on. It’s borderline criminal negligence at times. 

We have the brains in the country to sort this problem but too many people trying to make money out of a crisis. 

29 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Yeah, furlough has been the one policy that I've been impressed by.  I don't think we should be too critical of the testing either, as while there were some bumps on the road when you look at the numbers we have achieved it is the largest mass testing programme in our history, we are performing over 600k tests each day right now.

ok, apart from the vaccines, the furlough scheme and testing, what has this government ever done for us?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My 91 year old granny getting her first jab this afternoon.

Hopefully all this progress and good news on the vaccine rollout continues to be, both literally and metaphorically, the shot in the arm many in this country need after the endless shit of the last 9-10 months