When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

Whitty seems convinced in the Times that people aren't following it....

Also there's been a MASSIVE increase in school kids attendance. Awful lot of key worker jobs being added....

20210109_231836.jpg

That seems to be the concern now, fading Compliance. Something some of us have been warning about for ages but some of the Scientific Community have been keen to ignore and are now-worryingly-surprised by. They’ll get decent compliance through the Winter and that’ll be it.

What’s irritating to me about that is the use of ‘complacent’ rather than ‘exhausted’ or ‘fatigued’ but hey ho. 

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

It's been political suicide not listening to the scientists so far, do you think a new approach is potentially needed?

(Looks at the opinion polls with sad expression)

Has it?

Edited by MEGABOWL

10 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’m just glad so many have lakes at the bottom of their gardens so they don’t have to travel anyway. 

lol, I asked for that.

I'm not trying to claim the rules are perfect.

I'm pointing out the rules would be less perfect FOR THEIR PURPOSE OF REDUCING COVID if wants like yours were given into.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

lol, I asked for that.

I'm not trying to claim the rules are perfect.

I'm pointing out the rules would be less perfect FOR THEIR PURPOSE OF REDUCING COVID if wants like yours were given into.

Honestly it’s really not a want of mine.  I want things back to normal ish as soon as possible.  For that to happen in my mind people shouldn’t be fishing, going to golf, playing in playgrounds, opening bait shops, having clothes sections in supermarkets open etc....  Just my opinion of course.

Think I was merely pointing out the absolute contradiction to say, get in your car, drive to a fishing lake etc... when you could do exactly the same for golf for instance and do that on your own too.  And for me, contradiction makes lots break the rules.  

12 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That seems to be the concern now, fading Compliance. Something some of us have been warning about for ages but some of the Scientific Community have been keen to ignore and are now-worryingly-surprised by. They’ll get decent compliance through the Winter and that’ll be it.

What’s irritating to me about that is the use of ‘complacent’ rather than ‘exhausted’ or ‘fatigued’ but hey ho. 

I think everyone is tired to an extent of restrictions, and I'd say we have right to be. I know I'm happy to comply but if it goes on and on without any sense of things improving then people will wonder what the issue is - I also find it interesting as you say about how scientists seem surprised about people getting tired of it, I guess they must now understand how the politicians feel when they suggest their thoughts on lowering the infections and how to do it 

13 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

behavourial scientists have been worried about it since last March...but they were surprised how compliant and in fact keem the public was to go into lockdown.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I remember quite a few people saying they don't mind a January lockdown as it's shit anyway, as an argument for why should relax restrictions for xmas.

Count me among that group. I’m literally having my normal January of sitting at home watching the NFL playoffs with rose wine and chocolate. The fact that it’s a lockdown actually has barely changed my approach to January. 

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I do! Shame I hate fishing though

Looked amazing last night

IMG_20210109_160438.thumb.jpg.cd9a8d20a69ffa4258e6f4a6a3695262.jpg

kin'ell, that looks amazing.

I like the idea of fishing, especially after the Mortimer and Whitehouse programme, defintely appeals now I'm such an introverted old fart, but I wouldn't actually want to catch any fish. So, I guess just stand there all day and not use any bait.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Was really hoping the test I took on Thursday would be back by now! I very much doubt I have it and need to do a food shop pretty desperately now, but doesn't feel right for either of us to go if there's a small chance I'm positive. Will get exploring those delivery options people have suggested...

was just about to ask that      was it thursday you had it done ?  theres a number to call if it takes 5 days or more isn't there ? no sign of mine yet .... dont know if clicking the key worker box speeds it up at all ? 

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Think I was merely pointing out the absolute contradiction to say, get in your car, drive to a fishing lake etc... when you could do exactly the same for golf for instance and do that on your own too.  And for me, contradiction makes lots break the rules.  

Golf is not quite the same, as while it can be played alone it's designed as multiplayer while fishing is not.

And your claimed contradiction can be expanded to anything because "I promise me and everyone else will always do it alone".  It's not really a strong argument.

Like I say, that's all about me-me-me and nothing to do with suppressing covid.

I'm not trying to be preachy - I'm sure I've done it too - I'm simply pointing out it's completely the wrong take on things. The lockdown isn't about 'me' it's about dealing with covid.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Count me among that group. I’m literally having my normal January of sitting at home watching the NFL playoffs with rose wine and chocolate. The fact that it’s a lockdown actually has barely changed my approach to January. 

and the fact that you are doing that every day all day?

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Golf is not quite the same, as while it can be played alone it's designed as multiplayer while fishing is not.

And your claimed contradiction can be expanded to anything because "I promise me and everyone else will always do it alone".  It's not really a strong argument.

Like I say, that's all about me-me-me and nothing to do with suppressing covid.

I'm not trying to be preachy - I'm sure I've done it too - I'm simply pointing out it's completely the wrong take on things. The lockdown isn't about 'me' it's about dealing with covid.

Since Cummings, the spirit of lockdowm compliance has gone. People will follow the letter of the rules but not the spirit of it like they were before. A choice the govt made when they defended him

I think they need to change the narrative a bit and rather than just reiterating the hands, face, space message educate us again why it is so important in our current circumstances. Most people think that washing their hands and wearing a mask means they are totally safe, and that they are therefore obeying the rules. So explain what the dangers are now from going to supermarkets if everyone is wearing a mask, explain how the virus can still be transmitted even if everyone is complying with the rules. People think they are safe wearing a mask so explain again why they still might bit be, frighten people a bit by giving them the facts about how the virus gets transmitted. It might prevent people making unnecessary trips to the shops,etc. They need to re-educate us in the risks now of shopping, going for walks, driving to other places for exercise, etc even if we follow the hands, face, space rules

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I watch the NFL in amazement over the numbers of people and players around and amazed that it continues ..... I wonder what the testing procedures are like over there 

10 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

The article didn’t really seem to elaborate on why the scientific advisors have warned that younger and non-vulnerable people would have to stay at home until they are vaccinated. Presumably this is on the basis that the vaccine is not sterilising and does not reduce transmission? Either way, I think your view would definitely be shared by millions of young people once the threat of death of the more vulnerable/older population has hopefully been eliminated. 

I don’t think there’s any question about that. Once the vulnerable are Vaccinated that message of ‘save lives, protect the NHS’ is basically redundant. It’ll be a year of being separated from the people they care about and the things they love doing, of work (if they have a job) and not a lot else. 

There’s a few Scientists/Health Experts who seem to have forgotten this human aspect now and it makes them look out of touch. For all their failings Politicians have to take it into Account.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

And this is why attitudes will always be different towards whatever the government introduced. 
As a flip side of your position, we are tearing our hair out being confined to just our house with a 20 month old! And this weather means we can’t really go outside for too long! So very much wish things were open (although appreciate the need for a lockdown!)

With regards to the increase in children in school - if my experiences of key worker status is the norm it's fairly easy to explain. 

During lockdown 1.0 both my partner and I worked for local authorities we both received key worker letters - arguably neither of us were key workers. My other half (IT Project Manager) is not a key worker when your read the guidance on .gov.uk at the time it could be argued that I was (I was working solely on Covid response work provision of data to Gold Command twice a day and geospatial solutions etc... My normal job just more targeted and at pace). We didn't send our child to school because we were both working at home 100%. In our various organisations we both knew if people who took advantage of their 'Key Worker Status' to send children to school. People in finance people working in account. Management and part time people to. They were all able to and told to work from home. 

This latest lockdown we are both at different companies any my partner has again received a key worker letter - the HR function of the new new place she works is provided by my old authorities HR department. She has been told by her bosses boss that she should be sending our child to school because she has been defined as a key worker (she isn't she's still a Project Manager not working on a Covid project), she also has the ability to work from home 100% of the time. Covid or no Covid. 

If these experiences are being replicated across the country you will see why there is an increase in 'key worker kids'. 

Pressure from businesses, and key workers 'taking advantage' of the offer of a place in school. 

The additional guidance the DFE released Friday might see a reduction this week. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/09/school-guidance-for-children-of-key-workers-changes-again

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter
Inclusion of link.
  • Upvote 1