When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Fantastic thank you, they suggested on my local news last night to be reasonable about it e.g. stay within your county but never specified an exact limit on it so I wasn't sure, we'd be using private transport so no worries there 

Yeah I think you're fine as using private transport (gave you duff info about holidays though, see above!).

8 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

National Trust gardens/Kew etc (like FestivalJamie mentioned) are still open and people will be travelling to those. Personally, I think anything like that that you pay for should close for the next four weeks.

Surely safer to head to the beach in the wide open air?

Not if you live nowhere near a beach! I don't think walking round gardens is any less safe personally. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not if you live nowhere near a beach! I don't think walking round gardens is any less safe personally. 

Yeah, but could you walk around a park/open space (I appreciate they’re not near everyone) rather than a paid attraction?

A guy on the BBC just confirmed you can travel for exercise.

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Yeah, but could you walk around a park/open space (I appreciate they’re not near everyone) rather than a paid attraction?

A guy on the BBC just confirmed you can travel for exercise.

Surely better to spread people out in as many places as possible though? Just my feeling. I won't be going anywhere other than my local park due to the public transport guidance.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm hopeful it will be, based mainly on the fact that tier 3 seems to have had a small effect, so any additional restrictions should too.

Yep it’s good to see signs of that ... maybe waking up and seeing traffic jams just made me a little downhearted .... 

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Absolutely- tier 3 with furlough at 80% is completely the right thing to do. Incredible this is being looked at without pressure and ahead of time....

I don't disagree that it's the right thing to do for tier 3, but it fucks over all the businesses in other areas which are forced to close or aren't doing significant business.

It's the pandemic which is causing businesses problems, and not necessarily which tier a business is in.

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep it’s good to see signs of that ... maybe waking up and seeing traffic jams just made me a little downhearted .... 

The traffic in London the past few days has been god damn horrendous. Took me an hour to get home from work on Sunday and then two hours to get home from work on Monday (standstill traffic for most of my journey). This was the first time I’ve encountered bad traffic in my four weeks of working, so this lockdown has definitely had some strange effects on the amount of cars on the road (maybe less people are using public transport?).

I was expecting a huge drop in road traffic like last time but I don’t think it will happen. In reality this is really a “lockdown light” rather than a full lockdown. You can still travel this time to meet a friend outdoors as long as you don’t stay overnight, there are no limits on how far you can go as long as you refrain from using public transport.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Surely better to spread people out in as many places as possible though? Just my feeling. I won't be going anywhere other than my local park due to the public transport guidance.

Oh, definitely. I just feel people should stay as local as possible (if they can). I’m treating this lockdown the same as the spring one.

Lots of people are saying how traffic was really busy at peak this morning. Not sure office managers are listening to the wfh advice (after spending money making sure their workplaces are ‘Covid secure’)?

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Oh, definitely. I just feel people should stay as local as possible (if they can). I’m treating this lockdown the same as the spring one.

Lots of people are saying how traffic was really busy at peak this morning. Not sure office managers are listening to the wfh advice (after spending money making sure their workplaces are ‘Covid secure’)?

I agree, but some people might live quite local to those national trust type places/have membership, which would make them sensible places to visit.

As I say I'm back to my three local parks, but only really at lunch time and weekends now as too dark when I finish work :( Will rely mainly on my online gym classes again. Was quite sad doing my last in-person class last night.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I agree, but some people might live quite local to those national trust type places/have membership, which would make them sensible places to visit.

As I say I'm back to my three local parks, but only really at lunch time and weekends now as too dark when I finish work :( Will rely mainly on my online gym classes again. Was quite sad doing my last in-person class last night.

We aren’t far from Kew Gardens and my grandma is in a support bubble with us, so we will probably go there at some point during the lockdown.

What I find completely berserk is national trust parks are allowed to stay open as long as they close indoor spaces, yet zoos which arguably need more financial support aren’t allowed to keep their outdoor spaces open. Just one of the things I find so confusing about this lockdown because even tho Boris said the message is to “stay at home” a lot of businesses and workplaces seem to be finding a way around that, which then makes it unfair on others which are shutting their doors?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This doesn’t really feel like a lockdown, it’s kind of like the situation we had in May with the first relaxation of the restrictions. Especially with pubs being allowed to sell takeaway beer. 

That’s pretty much what it is, the May rules. You were allowed to meet with one friend in the park and take unlimited exercise like you are now. They also encouraged everyone to go to work if they can’t WFH. This is a May-type lockdown not a March-type lockdown. Mind you I was exercising 2-3 times a day in March and April and no one cared 

Interestingly, in Northern Ireland we are due to come out of our restrictions in a week and a half. The first minister has said we will be coming out of restrictions as planned.

However, this morning, the CMO, CSA and the Health Minister have said they want restrictions extended to last all through November.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Interestingly, in Northern Ireland we are due to come out of our restrictions in a week and a half. The first minister has said we will be coming out of restrictions as planned.

However, this morning, the CMO, CSA and the Health Minister have said they want restrictions extended to last all through November.

whats your R rate now ? 

Multiple reports (well messages, social posts etc) of people  know in digital jobs still going into offices today. Clearly can work from home they just dont

I'd be surprised if this few weeks does anything to be honest but accepted months ago that nothing will change til April/May time anyway, and that's only when weather improves 

14 hours ago, gizmoman said:

This isn't the paper considered by parliament, it is an expanded paper that makes the same argument, how does the conclusion differ? These authors have been making these same recommendations in articles for the last 6 months, they clearly have an agenda.

Compulsory treatment or vaccination versus quarantine | Journal of Medical Ethics blog

They have an agenda but the agenda seems to be to get everyone vaccinated to eliminate the virus. I’m not exactly opposed to that.

1 hour ago, FestivalJamie said:

We aren’t far from Kew Gardens and my grandma is in a support bubble with us, so we will probably go there at some point during the lockdown.

What I find completely berserk is national trust parks are allowed to stay open as long as they close indoor spaces, yet zoos which arguably need more financial support aren’t allowed to keep their outdoor spaces open. Just one of the things I find so confusing about this lockdown because even tho Boris said the message is to “stay at home” a lot of businesses and workplaces seem to be finding a way around that, which then makes it unfair on others which are shutting their doors?

Most national trust parks can’t be closed anyway- they’re just open spaces. You only pay to visit the houses. Last time I think they closed the car parks nearby the open spaces to discourage them being used, but that seemed unnecessary at the time and still does now.

Its a far cry from zoos where you would presumably still have to queue up to get in and pay. Although I do sort of like the idea of just opening the gates!