When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, st dan said:

And there is the ‘I told you so’. Personally I think it’s a pretty shitty move at this time of National crisis.
In fact, if he hadn’t come out and said anything at all, then I think this lockdown would probably have been announced two weeks ago. 

You are Dominic Cummings and I claim my £5 🙂

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, st dan said:

I just don’t think the opposition should have such a public stance on something they literally have no control over. I have no issue with him thinking that and raising it in the Commons etc, but calling a special announcement was a very tactical move from him. I think by him doing that, it made Boris even less likely to agree and follow suit, due to how ‘weak’ it would make him look. And Kier has played the ‘I told you so’ card only several hours later. It was a win, win situation for him. 

Jesus. It’s called ‘holding the government to account’ and is a critical part of a functioning governance system. 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Jesus. It’s called ‘holding the government to account’ and is a critical part of a functioning governance system. 

No, the opposition should just sit quietly and tut when appropriate.

Honestly the blaming of Labour for this is just the most tone deaf comment I've read since the news California was going to vote Trump.

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Uh oh

Actually, there's a lot of encouraging stuff in there. Reading between the lines, it suggests that the under 50s will get vaccinated in due course and that they expect to have everyone above 50 who wants it vaccinated by Easter - which is far sooner than I would have thought from the mood music. @crazyfool1 this ties into what we were talking about earlier with regards to widening the people getting the jab.

And I know she's a political appointee with suspicious personal connections, but I get the feeling that Kate Bingham is a pragmatic individual who may not completely fuck up the vaccine rollout. 

Definitely encouraging that we're still looking at obtaining all the other vaccines, given we already have quite a lot pre-ordered.

I know that's not everything that thread says and there's some worrying stuff in there - but I'm just talking about the positives.

38 minutes ago, st dan said:

I just don’t think the opposition should have such a public stance on something they literally have no control over.

Eh?

That's literally, by definition, the point of an opposition - to provide an opposing stance. The clue is somewhat in the name.

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

No, the opposition should just sit quietly and tut when appropriate.

Honestly the blaming of Labour for this is just the most tone deaf comment I've read since the news California was going to vote Trump.

Who’s blaming Labour? I’m referring to Keir’s tweet tonight, and how the wording and tone of it sounds very one-upmanship to me. That’s my take on it. Not saying he or Labour were in the wrong at all - of course everybody knew that the lockdown was needed when he called for one (except the Tories seemingly)  

But in my opinion, publicly demanding one was a poor move at that time, knowing how precious Boris and his bunch of cronies are. The reason they probably delayed it for so long was because they didn’t want to be seen as making another public u-turn, which not only makes them look very weak, but proves that Labour were right all along. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually, there's a lot of encouraging stuff in there. Reading between the lines, it suggests that the under 50s will get vaccinated in due course and that they expect to have everyone above 50 who wants it vaccinated by Easter - which is far sooner than I would have thought from the mood music. @crazyfool1 this ties into what we were talking about earlier with regards to widening the people getting the jab.

And I know she's a political appointee with suspicious personal connections, but I get the feeling that Kate Bingham is a pragmatic individual who may not completely fuck up the vaccine rollout. 

Definitely encouraging that we're still looking at obtaining all the other vaccines, given we already have quite a lot pre-ordered.

I know that's not everything that thread says and there's some worrying stuff in there - but I'm just talking about the positives.

Yeah agreed. A bit off that sensitive government info is being leaked at some networking event, but the actual content seems encouraging to me. If the vulnerable and other over 50’s are jabbed by Easter, I reckon the festival season gets the go ahead. If some vulnerable people are anti-vax and opt out of getting the jab, then IMO they stop being society’s problem at that point and we no longer have a responsibility to prevent them getting covid. I hate anti vaxxer weirdos. Fuck them all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

When it's the north 67% seems to be enough to live on, but when it's the south it's 80%.

Yep, Burnham was quick to point this out. Not sure what possible reasonable explanation they can give on this - but will be interested to see what waffle they come up with to justify it.  

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

"In fact, if he hadn’t come out and said anything at all, then I think this lockdown would probably have been announced two weeks ago. "

That’s not blaming them though, it’s just me not necessarily agreeing with the tactics used in this instance. Just to be clear, I am a strong Labour supporter, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with every move they make throughout this pandemic. 
I actually think it was a very clever political move from a very smart man - he stitched them up good and proper. I just don’t think it was the most productive move in terms of encouraging the Tories to actually move to a lockdown. 

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

West Yorkshire not going into tier 3 on Monday, think that mean they might stay in tier 2 when it ends

Hypocritical statement coming up. This is stupid because everyone is just going to the pub and party hard for 4 days but I’m also happy because I get a couple more days out at the pub. 

3 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Not specifically, but we're hospitality.  And as was the case earlier in the year, people stopped booking weeks before the government made them.

It's all down to Little Rishi and his magic chequebook now.

"Hotels, hostels and other accommodation should only open for those who have to travel for work purposes and for a limited number of other exemptions which will be set out in law.

A full list of the business closures will be published and set out in law."

Essentially the same as last time

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Hypocritical statement coming up. This is stupid because everyone is just going to the pub and party hard for 4 days but I’m also happy because I get a couple more days out at the pub. 

I was in Leeds today, it was heaving, people were fully on it. Also doing a lot of Christmas shopping (not drunk)

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Shops and pubs are going to be rammed the next few days, aren’t they?

The gov.uk site is actually really detailed. I know a few people were asking about gyms. Sadly they will be closed throughout Don’t Call It a Lockdown.

Or DCIAL as the cool kids are calling it