When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I bet you all a tenner Johnson will still be PM by the next election.

My view is that kier is the latest labour leader which actually stands a chance of getting in. I do think though that Tory voters are forgetful and in 4 years time it’s likely that COVID will be considered a past issue that many don’t remember.

I can totally see the Tory right wing mascots adopting a “that’s in the past get over it” approach once we have a vaccine distributed.

Many Tory arch remain voters were willing to vote in Boris’s leave government. I think what shocked me about the 2019 election was how many tories were able to drop their remain vote and move on.

39 minutes ago, mandolin said:

Can anyone tell me if people from different households are allowed to meet outside - like meeting a friend for a walk? I seem to have spent my time swearing at the spaffing rather than listening to it!

Sorry I was incorrect mate. This is from gov.uk.

DF6A3DFF-86DF-4963-A978-6E937A563301.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Why do you think that?

I'm wondering whether folks would get behind the alternative that is Gove and not sure about Risak either :huh:

I just think Boris Johnson seems to have the ability to succeed despite being useless....and that he still has a lot more charisma than anyone else in the cabinet...and that if he manages to ride out this shitshow then he may be able to benefit from the joyful mood in the country of the worst being behind us. This also depends on what the economic fallout from covid+brexit is....and how bad things get this winter.

7 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

This is my biggest relief, I was worried they would completely cut us off but for a month I'm happy to make do with the rules 

I’m glad you’ll be able to get some relief and support in these rules.

It does seem to be a lighter version of lockdown which will help with mental health. Let’s hope it’s enough!

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My view is that kier is the latest labour leader which actually stands a chance of getting in. I do think though that Tory voters are forgetful and in 4 years time it’s likely that COVID will be considered a past issue that many don’t remember.

I can totally see the Tory right wing mascots adopting a “that’s in the past get over it” approach once we have a vaccine distributed.

Many Tory arch remain voters were willing to vote in Boris’s leave government. I think what shocked me about the 2019 election was how many tories were able to drop their remain vote and move on.

Well depends. Hard to vote for someone who's incompetence killed your nan

Edited by zahidf

44 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

And there is the ‘I told you so’. Personally I think it’s a pretty shitty move at this time of National crisis.
In fact, if he hadn’t come out and said anything at all, then I think this lockdown would probably have been announced two weeks ago. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

And there is the ‘I told you so’. Personally I think it’s a pretty shitty move at this time of National crisis.
In fact, if he hadn’t come out and said anything at all, then I think this lockdown would probably have been announced two weeks ago. 

Sorry mate but I respectfully disagree, he called for the approach that the scientists were calling for. Johnson could’ve taken it too and not let his ego get in the way. I think it’s more shitty to delay national measures letting cases rise when everyone else was calling for those measures. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry mate but I respectfully disagree, he called for the approach that the scientists were calling for. Johnson could’ve taken it too and not let his ego get in the way. I think it’s more shitty to delay national measures letting cases rise when everyone else was calling for those measures. 

That’s fine, can completely see your point of view on it. 
I just think Kier knew exactly what he was doing by calling for the lockdown - he knew Boris’ ego would actively do anything he could to take the opposite approach - which he’s held out doing until we literally had no other choice. 

15 minutes ago, st dan said:

Lol you can't blame him FFS. It was SAGE advice!

Edited by zahidf

15 minutes ago, st dan said:

What do you expect him to say? He's supported the government in lots of the restrictions they have brought in. Tories had had a pinned tweet until today attacking him for saying it.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I just think Kier knew exactly what he was doing by calling for the lockdown - he knew Boris’ ego would actively do anything he could to take the opposite approach - which he’s held out doing until we literally had no other choice. 

For sure there was political games being played in both parts but Keir had to say it. I don’t think he had any other choice. He showed leadership and started to call for action, Boris decided he didn’t want to.

It’s also worth noting that Keir called this exactly in the Commons when the Tier system was introduced. Johnson keeps coming back every few weeks too announce more measures as his last have failed. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Lol you can't blame him FFS. It was SAGE advice!

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

What do you expect him to say? He's supported the government in lots of the restrictions they have brought in. Tories had had a pinned tweet until today attacking him for saying it.

I just don’t think the opposition should have such a public stance on something they literally have no control over. I have no issue with him thinking that and raising it in the Commons etc, but calling a special announcement was a very tactical move from him. I think by him doing that, it made Boris even less likely to agree and follow suit, due to how ‘weak’ it would make him look. And Kier has played the ‘I told you so’ card only several hours later. It was a win, win situation for him. 

14 minutes ago, st dan said:

Fucks' sake, and Brexit was the fault of remainers.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I’m glad you’ll be able to get some relief and support in these rules.

It does seem to be a lighter version of lockdown which will help with mental health. Let’s hope it’s enough!

It seems like May where we were dabbling back into life which was better for me, as you say lets hope it works 

36 minutes ago, st dan said:

Is this comment a joke?

Starmer reflected the view of leading scientists and the Johnson’s fragile ego got in the way of doing what was best for the country

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

I just don’t think the opposition should have such a public stance on something they literally have no control over. I have no issue with him thinking that and raising it in the Commons etc, but calling a special announcement was a very tactical move from him. I think by him doing that, it made Boris even less likely to agree and follow suit, due to how ‘weak’ it would make him look. And Kier has played the ‘I told you so’ card only several hours later. It was a win, win situation for him. 

it was definitely political opportunism from Starmer, and he has shown that he can be fairly ruthless with how he deals with his own party and with the government.

But, in the end, the government has all the data and is making the decisions...they chose not to follow the Sage advice on a short lockdown but persevered with the regional lockdown thing.  Can't really blame the opposition for any of this.