When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

Whitty says we may need to keep lockdown longer to protect people who refuse to get vaccinations..

Screw them

He said that?! Got zero sympathy for anyone refusing a vaccination if they get it. Their choice, why should we all continue living like this for selfish idiots like that?

One thing that really annoys me is talk of ‘restrictions’ lasting X time.

It is SO vague. Restrictions could mean anything from full lockdown to mask wearing on trains. Meaning it ranges from totally impacting our lives to something which is barely an inconvenience.

Also, I agree with @zahidf, once the most vulnerable are done and the deaths drop (which they will) and the hospitals aren’t over burdened then I’ll be doing what I want/ can. It’s been a year. 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have to say, I was looking into booking an autumn holiday last week. It would be really nice to have something to look forward to that isn't just going to the pub and meeting relatives.

Now you're making me feel bad considering I'm thinking sod a holiday I just want to get pissed with my mates 😂

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also, I agree with @zahidf, once the most vulnerable are done and the deaths drop (which they will) and the hospitals aren’t over burdened then I’ll be doing what I want/ can. It’s been a year. 

I think we'll begin to see more and more front pages like this in the coming days. Especially as we get closer to this roadmap.

People are over this now. As you say it's been effectively a year, lockdown fatigue has well and truly set in for the majority.

Daily Mirror Newspaper Front Page (UK) for 11 February 2021

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It is SO vague. Restrictions could mean anything from full lockdown to mask wearing on trains. Meaning it ranges from totally impacting our lives to something which is barely an inconvenience.

Completely agree, I said the same thing a couple of days ago

On 2/9/2021 at 9:47 AM, tigger123 said:

These sort of statements from scientists really annoy me. They say these headline grabbing statements without qualifying what might have to be done long term. It could range from not shaking hands or having to wear a mask on public transport to being in lockdown forever or having permanent social distancing. I think it’s pretty reprehensible tbh

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have to say, I was looking into booking an autumn holiday last week. It would be really nice to have something to look forward to that isn't just going to the pub and meeting relatives.

Dunno what you were planning, but I'd imagine a lot of companies are doing some sort of Covid guarantee (we are, essentially if you have to cancel for any covid related reason you can get a full refund) . Travel/tourism providers are desperate to get bookings in

We'll just have to see what is in Johnson's roadmap on 22nd. He has SAGE and co who are probably urging caution and a gradual easing of restrictions, and then he has Sunak telling him the economy can't take this for much longer, and he has his own MPs getting all jiggy with it. I think it will be something along the likes of what Fuzzy said the other day, maybe a bit slower, with certain criteria needing to be met before moving onto next phase of opening up. Whether we get summer holidays at home or abroad will depend on the situation at the time I expect...Johnson really needs this to be the last lockdown and can't fuck it up again.

Edited by steviewevie

People in Wales, or with relatives in Wales. NHS Wales are also asking anyone over 70 to call and book a jab if you haven't already had one. (think they were a day or two behind England in saying this)

Spotted this last night, let my mum know, she called this morning and is booked in for this afternoon

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We've just booked something for Xmas and are looking at a short break during what would have been Glastonbury week (both in the UK).  Since this all started we've had 5 trips cancelled so I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be bloody lovely to be somewhere (anywhere!) else for a night or two!

Edited by fatyeti24

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

We've just booked something for Xmas and are looking at a short break during what would have been Glastonbury week (both in the UK).  Since this all started we've had 5 trips cancelled so I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be bloody lovely to be somewhere (anywhere!) else for a night or two!

We have my Mum's postponed 90th birthday party end of July, hired a big house somewhere, loads of family going, brother and his family supposed to be coming over from US. It was originally planned for over new year. Reckon it's 50/50 at the moment.

Just now, steviewevie said:

We have my Mum's postponed 90th birthday party end of July, hired a big house somewhere, loads of family going, brother and his family supposed to be coming over from US. It was originally planned for over new year. Reckon it's 50/50 at the moment.

You might be limited on the amount of people but I suspect you’ll be able to go in some form. 

Summer holidays will very much depend on things like global vaccination speed, economical situations, different measures and so on.

In Germany tourism and media said there will be a Summer Holiday Boom for tourists, the IATA is skeptical and has already an alternative plan for less flights this summer, politics told that they could`t say anything except that holidays abroad might be possible (our chancellor Kurz to the question if summer abroad might be possible: "I assume so, yes" and scientists warned that summer would be even worse as the virus could have a (milder) effect on younger people then (German Christian Drosten from Robert Koch Institute: "100.000 would be infected in Germany then"), so you get the full spectrum of different opinions.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

More great news.

Also assume the increase in under 60s hospitalisations are because there are more beds available in hospitals for them to take in people with milder symptoms, that they may previously been unable to due to the over 60s taking up beds?

On the holidays thing, I totally understand why they are saying to exercise caution but it's easy enough to book fully cancellable things at the moment so I don't see it as a huge risk. We have a short break with friends booked in May and a week with family in July, both in the UK, both fully cancellable. It's just nice to have something to look forward to.

I know they might not happen but I think the chances are good. Me and my partner managed a UK break in early October last year, without vaccines being a thing, so it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility. We kept to ourselves and didn't do a lot but it was well worth it to get away.

A few of my colleagues went on holidays abroad last summer too. I guess the issue with that is the new travel restrictions that might come in after vaccines have been rolled out. At the moment I'm holding off on abroad, but if I saw something amazing with good cancellation terms I would go for it.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

is it bollocks.

Standard NHS practice is that tests aren't worth shit for 90 days after a positive test, as there's a possibility of a positive result.

As for infectivity, that's believed to be clear after 14 days max.

Who is testing your Grandad? They're obvs riding the gravy train.

PS: Virgin Care working for the NHS seemed very keen to test before 90 days on a patient who would otherwise be discharged. How odd!

In the hospital so they need to know what ward he should be in - I don't see any chance of discharge any time soon! 

54 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Unfortunately I think "restrictions" is pertinent to us on this forum- I'd assume as long as anything is required, even as small as masks, that our mass gatherings are banned still at that point. I always take "restrictions" to include that because what's the point in everyone wearing masks to stop spread if we're cramming hundreds/thousands of people in one place

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

In the hospital so they need to know what ward he should be in - I don't see any chance of discharge any time soon! 

hospital my mum was in transferred her to another hospital with no test about 14 days after positive test. That hospital discharged her with no test.

I was confused with the 90 days thing (apols, too early in the morning). That's govt facilities which are compulsory testing, where they won't retest anyone for 90 days after a positive test because there's too much chance of a positive.

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We'll just have to see what is in Johnson's roadmap on 22nd. He has SAGE and co who are probably urging caution and a gradual easing of restrictions, and then he has Sunak telling him the economy can't take this for much longer, and he has his own MPs getting all jiggy with it. I think it will be something along the likes of what Fuzzy said the other day, maybe a bit slower, with certain criteria needing to be met before moving onto next phase of opening up. Whether we get summer holidays at home or abroad will depend on the situation at the time I expect...Johnson really needs this to be the last lockdown and can't fuck it up again.

I agree. That's why government are being so cautious in promising what will happen and when. Fuck it up and we and they are really in deep shit. Over promising leads to an expectation which if not fulfilled will taint this government for the future. It's understandable people getting pissed off with politicians being vague and narked by experts giving correct scientific assessments because neither give them what they want: their life as it was back. The world however has moved on. The world is in constant change.