When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll definately have a word .... don’t want to jump any q ... but happy to use any spare vaccine for any no shows 🙂 ... thanks 

Just in Birmingham for now but I’m sure they will roll it out in other stores once proved that it works. 

38 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

How did he not prepare for this question

To be honest I think he did. The Tory PR machine is so predictable, doesn't matter how stupid you look just repeat the line given over and over and the gotcha moment won't land, they do it everytime. It clearly seems to work as well so why wouldn't they I guess, yes the government's critics will talk about how bad it is but their followers (of which they still have many) would rather they look a bit dumb rather than admit wrongdoing and say anything that goes against their views. 

19 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I agree, I'd be more worried if people were working in that kind of situation and DIDN'T feel depressed, anxious, traumatised - it's the natural human response to such a horrific daily experience 

Most people can somehow plough on through a crisis (though the worrying thing about this one is that it must feel prolonged, unrelenting and as if it has no end in sight, so there is a risk of people breaking down), its afterwards the totality of what you've been through hits you, and it's only then they'll know if they need help and support or whether their own ways of dealing with stuff are enough. 

There has been some (albeit not much) funding made available for third sector orgs to offer counselling etc to NHS staff during this, but it doesn't seem to be very explicit - or countrywide (or enough!) and I think a lot of NHS are unaware of when the support is on offer (plus a lot likely won't access it/think about accessing while the crisis is ongoing). 

Working in mental health, this is infuriating - all the government has to do is provide more money to mental health and talking therapies and tell NHS staff they can access them if they need support now. It's really not rocket science, there are a lot of third sector orgs that can't work with their usual clientele during the lockdown, so there is some spare capacity out there. 

I agree. Completely natural responses to an overwhelming and unprecedented events. 

The support NHS staff are going to need is going to be when the crisis is past, and they've had time to think about and process what they've been through. At the moment they're just trying to survive day to day. I hope the government recognises this, but I'm worried they'll easily be forgotten once normality resumes. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/13/scary-covid-leaders-no-plan-to-control-pandemic-cycle

This is an excellent article and quite succinctly, I think, summarises the majority of points people have been making in this thread for sometime. After 11 months, to still have no coherent plan is unforgiveable.

The media's relentless hunt for stuff to keep us fearful and clicking is.. exhausting, at this point. As has been talked about over and over, variants are completely natural and to be expected for viruses like this and there's evidence that there's already about 20+ knocking around since the beginning of last year

Edited by jannybruck

Just now, jannybruck said:

The media's relentless hunt for stuff to keep us fearful and clicking is.. exhausting, at this point. As has been talked about over and over, variants are completely natural and to be expected for viruses like this.

yes...but the B117 variant has definitely changed things here in the UK, has pushed our health services to breaking point...

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

Hmm... yeah. I think it’s more the SA variant and Brazil variant which potentially will be more resistant to the vaccines.

More research is needed to confirm initial findings. And Prof de Oliveria insisted that “at the moment, we believe that it would take much more evolution to the virus than what we have seen in these variants to evade the vaccine response”.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

More research is needed to confirm initial findings. And Prof de Oliveria insisted that “at the moment, we believe that it would take much more evolution to the virus than what we have seen in these variants to evade the vaccine response”.

I guess if ever a variant does become resistant to vaccines and more prevalent then we'd just have to come up with a new vaccine or tweak one of the current ones...nothing else we can do (apart from zero covid but I guess that ain't happening).