When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, zahidf said:

WHAT A SURPRISE

As long as it’s optional and if it means pubs let me in I don’t really care. It won’t last forever, as soon as it all blows over they will all end up in the bin anyway. Hopefully they get made with recyclable material. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

As long as it’s optional and if it means pubs let me in I don’t really care. It won’t last forever, as soon as it all blows over they will all end up in the bin anyway. Hopefully they get made with recyclable material. 

I wonder who will get the contract for it ? Although id be happy if it meant pubs and businesses were able to survive .... 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Some large corporation, advised by a Tory MP, probably lined up for the contract already.

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

You're only allowed to post ones with Labour leading in here I'm afraid.

As a starmer skeptic i like to wind up the rest with the ones where they’re behind.

I got to say though, i’m fairly surprised labour haven’t opened up at least a small lead given how abysmal this administration has performed. I’m getting worried that the tory vote is more entrenched than expected..

So whilst I am a starmer skeptic, i’d actually much rather be proved wrong for the good of us all. Unfortunately its looking like new new labour is not catching the publics imagination.

Edited by mattiloy

The 'passport' in the article is actually an app, not a physical object, which is a lot worse.

I know it was conspiracy-bait last year for a lot of covid deniers but the health passport done wrong could be very, very bad for us as a population in terms of privacy, discrimination, tracking (and that's not taking into account the fact we don't even know if the vaccine prevents transmission, in which case this sort of thing is completely redundant).

Edited by jannybruck
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Can’t see how health passports would work with pubs, especially city centre pubs whose clientele is mainly 20-40 year olds who will be the last to be vaccinated 

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The 'passport' in the article is actually an app, not a physical object, which is a lot worse.

I know it was conspiracy-bait last year for a lot of covid deniers but the health passport done wrong could be very, very bad for us as a population in terms of privacy, discrimination, tracking (and that's not taking into account the fact we don't even know if the vaccine prevents transmission, in which case this sort of thing is completely redundant).

if its an app ... it most likely won't work for months ..... its not like they have a good record with working apps ...

52 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So this is something I have been wondering about for the last couple of days. Since we are worried about how these new variants might impact on vaccine efficacy, in addition to lab studies, we should get real world data soon on the UK/SA/Brazil variants as we have ongoing trials of various vaccines in all 3 countries. If we don’t see positive cases associated with specific variants in the vaccinated arms of these trials, then it would be the best indication that the vaccines will continue to work...The opposite is also true (though it could be just that these are the predominant variants in a given region at the time)...Which made me wonder if we could see lower efficacy levels in trials reporting as these new variants take hold...too early to read anything into to it, but in my head I had been thinking the next data from Brazil could be below what we’ve previously seen, so this needs paying attention to I think (could obviously just be the vaccine, hard to know til we get clearer data, needs comparison of the same vaccine in regions without the new variants). 

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

As a starmer skeptic i like to wind up the rest with the ones where they’re behind.

I got to say though, i’m fairly surprised labour haven’t opened up at least a small lead given how abysmal this administration has performed. I’m getting worried that the tory vote is more entrenched than expected..

So whilst I am a starmer skeptic, i’d actually much rather be proved wrong for the good of us all. Unfortunately its looking like new new labour is not catching the publics imagination.

I still think a lot of people are willing to forgive Johnson, cut him some slack, as all this is unprecedented. Starmer has done ok at looking like a serious contender etc., but obviously there are some on the left who are sceptical, and also he is sometimes seen as not having an actual alternative policy, or just quickly comes out with stuff he knows the govt is going to do anyway, or whatever. The real test will be after restrictions are lifted and the economic fallou from the lockdowns, Johnson will no doubt get a bounce in the polls, but if they start making cuts or raising taxes then this could quickly evaporate. I actually don't think labour stands much of a chance in next election whoever is in charge, but maybe they could reduce the tory lead a bit.

I don't like him but Johnson is an Electoral juggernaut, he might be many things and have many issues but he knows how to win elections. The shine might be coming off now but it will take a really well organised opposition with strong policies and messaging (plus the help of the media of course) to beat Johnson. However if the Tories continue to get more annoyed by Johnson and vote him out then it's a different story.

I think there is a lot in the idea that the British public are too forgiving and large swathes of the country are ready to give Boris a free pass given the unprecedented circumstances. When you consider that the most popular newspapers in this country are also right-wing and do not really criticise the government or hold them to account for the numerous, criminal mistakes that they have repeatedly made regardless of the fact that this is unprecedented, it is not a massive surprise.

Unfortunately (but also fortunately), this forum is quite left wing so while we are not shy to criticise the government and hold them to account, it is a bit of an echo chamber and not representative of the wider public's opinions. I can see this first hand with family members who do not get into the detail of the pandemic or Tory party policy at all and their opinions reflect the above in terms of going easy on the government.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

I think there is a lot in the idea that the British public are too forgiving and large swathes of the country are ready to give Boris a free pass given the unprecedented circumstances. When you consider that the most popular newspapers in this country are also right-wing and do not really criticise the government or hold them to account for the numerous, criminal mistakes that they have repeatedly made regardless of the fact that this is unprecedented, it is not a massive surprise.

Unfortunately (but also fortunately), this forum is quite left wing so while we are not shy to criticise the government and hold them to account, it is a bit of an echo chamber and not representative of the wider public's opinions. I can see this first hand with family members who do not get into the detail of the pandemic or Tory party policy at all and their opinions reflect the above in terms of going easy on the government.

also being ahead of the rest of europe with vaccine rollout will help them massively....

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

also being ahead of the rest of europe with vaccine rollout will help them massively....

Absolutely. Not helped by the fact that it was the BRITISH! vaccine that massively put a dent in the numbers and helped the roll out.

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Wow, the level of denial of reality on here is amazing, this has been explained time and again and you are still dismissing it as unimportant, "as soon as it all blows over", it's not blowing over why do you think they are using the terms "new normal" and "build back better", they are changing things permanently (unless enough people rebel) you will need this "passport" linked to your digital identity to do ANYTHING. Instead of posting here all day reading covid trivia do some research on what is really going on in the world.

• Downvote 7

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Wow, the level of denial of reality on here is amazing, this has been explained time and again and you are still dismissing it as unimportant, "as soon as it all blows over", it's not blowing over why do you think they are using the terms "new normal" and "build back better", they are changing things permanently (unless enough people rebel) you will need this "passport" linked to your digital identity to do ANYTHING. Instead of posting here all day reading covid trivia do some research on what is really going on in the world.

have you considered that people have done their own research and are quite happy with it ... just because it doesnt fit with how you think it doesnt mean people haven't done it .... 

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

on youtube?

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

What exactly do you think is going to happen? What advantage to the government is there long term in people having to have a vaccine passport to enter pubs?

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Sorry. I forgot that you are one of those covid deniers who thinks the virus is made up as a method of control. 

Personally I can’t wait for my brain to be implanted with a microchip. 

Check out Neuralink. Absolutely fantastic technology. Hopefully I can sign myself up for the trials. 

https://neuralink.com/