When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

It sounds churlish but even with such a dark horizon the daylight will at some point reappear, and  I can fully understand that your own circumstances make the optimism on here around vaccines and recovery by the Spring seem of little comfort.  Thankyou for sharing, I am sure there are others on here with their own personal issues other than Covid, but hearing your situation brings into perspective how fortunate many of us are, even Covid considered.

Hoping you stay strong and have others around you for support.  We're always here too.

Thanks yes this forum has been my little spot of the internet that doesn't leave me tearing my hair out all year. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and life will move on it always does. I know for me life will get better again and I very much try to keep in mind the phrase that this too shall pass. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The point is that we are seeing in other countries that the roll out doesn’t happen as fast as they promise it. We won’t be immune from that. What this pandemic has taught me the most is that the obstacles another country faces, we will most likely face too.

Our numbers for vaccines are good at the moment but they seriously need to pick up the pace very soon for us to confidently talk about 200,000 attendance events going ahead in 6 months time.

Well, the longer the rest of us faff about, the more you guys will have! You’ll have AZ production to yourselves til Feb at least, may as well use those shots while we can’t! (I’m slightly joking, I do understand the difference in the EMA process, though if there a signal coming through in terms of deaths in January, pressure on national regulators in EU countries will increase).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/31/covid-france-pandering-to-anti-vaxxers-with-slow-vaccine-rollout

This is what concerns me about the festivals chances. That we are getting over promised the speed of the roll out and Glastonbury might come a little bit too late. You can see in France above and with the US that they are not rolling out this vaccine as fast as they hoped for. We know first hand what it’s like to have a government who promise the world and don’t deliver. Whatever happened to operation moonshot?

Moonshot was looked at and worked one then put in the pile of impractical ideas. 

This is a really good view point of UK and Brexit from folks in Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/31/the-view-from-europe-uk-taken-over-by-gamblers-liars-clowns-and-their-cheerleaders

This particular point about Popularism rings very true and will continue for years I'm sure

Von Bismarck identified two key elements in this method: an emotionalisation and over-simplification of highly complex issues, such as Brexit, the Covid pandemic or migration, and a reliance on bogeymen or enemies at home and abroad.

“Populists depend on enemies, real or imagined, to legitimise their actions and deflect from their own shortcomings,” she said. If the EU has been the “enemy abroad” since 2016, it will steadily be replaced by “enemies within”: MPs, civil servants, judges, lawyers, experts, the BBC.

“Individuals and institutions who dare to limit the power of the executive, even if it is just by asking questions, are at constant risk of being denounced as ‘activists’” by the Johnson government, Von Bismarck said. “Everyone has political motives – except for the government, which seeks to define ‘neutrality’.”

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Well, the longer the rest of us faff about, the more you guys will have! You’ll have AZ production to yourselves til Feb at least, may as well use those shots while we can’t! (I’m slightly joking, I do understand the difference in the EMA process, though if there a signal coming through in terms of deaths in January, pressure on national regulators in EU countries will increase).

you should have left the EU too.

(only joking arf arf)

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

And I’d not even thought of delays elsewhere as a direct benefit to the U.K.!

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

true...although we're currently in a worst state aren't we? But...yes, getting worse elsewhere too.

Oh yeah things could be better here. It’s difficult to imagine a Government less equipped to deal with this.

But, while it’s hard for people to see Wuhan and NZ this NYE and torture themselves thinking ‘that could have been us if it wasn’t for the Tories’ it isn’t true. We were always going to get it bad. Look at Germany-they seemed to be doing better than anyone but even their universally lauded Test and Trace system collapsed and they’re now in Lockdown. The Czechs did really well in Spring but are now struggling. The Belgians are on their second kicking just like us. We-and I meant humanity-only have very limited control over this. 

• Upvote 1

Jesus US worker deliberately spoiling vaccines - ok I get some people are against or concerned about them but don't spoil it for others who would be happy to take it FFS

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/31/wisconsin-health-worker-deliberately-spoiled-500-covid-vaccine-doses 

Poor timing maybe with ever more concerning news, but after dipping in and out of this thread for months, joining in the debate and appreciating some seriously informative input I thought perhaps sharing an annual word vomit (in the form of very amateur rhyme) could raise just one wry smile. 

Oi, Corona!
Why can’t you leave us alone, huh? 
Stay indoors, wash your hands, wear a face mask. 
Fuck off next year, is that too much to ask? 

If they’d warned us about you this time last year
I’d have asked: “the overpriced, average Mexican beer?
Who’d name a virus over a tasteless lager? 
Pull the other one mate. Try a little harder.” 

Lockdown one, two and three - it’s been such a hassle
At least I can test my eyes with a trip to Barnard Castle.
It’s Tier Four now, from the Lakes to the New Forest
But you could’ve made it worth it, if you’d just finished off Boris. 

Eat Out to Help Out - do you remember that? 
A stroke of genius from Rishi Sunak.
Buy one get one free on your evening meal
And spread the virus for no charge - what a wonderful deal! 

But Corona, perhaps your most impressive feat 
Is to unearth the greatest thinkers, philosophy through tweets:
“Hospitals? All empty mate, have you heard about 5G? 
No such thing as Covid. These scientists aren’t fooling me”

“A vaccine? Pfft, I won’t let that seal my fate
Brainwash and inject us and we’ll be tracked by Bill Gates 
I’d rather listen to David Icke - a true, relatable geezer
Besides after 90 days, doesn’t Covid require a new visa?” 

It was this time last year, in the Nag’s Head pool room
Now, just a strange New Years Eve, sat here on Zoom.
We should be necking pints, finding a pub in town
Instead I’m staring at a screen. Red wine in a dressing gown.

This year? Dreadful. It’s really not been fun 
The best thing to say is at least it’s now all done. 

Oh 2021, you better be alright
Because 2020? Complete and utter shite. 

Hope everyone and their families are keeping healthy and a Happy New Year to you all - let's hope the shit does indeed end in 2021!

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Shows it isn't just a weekday operation as some suggested on here yesterday with them being given it on a Saturday!

I assumed that were possible this would happen i had flu jab couple of months back on a sat at short notice . I thought this maybe part of a plan ahead of the now approved vaccines 

24 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Oh yeah things could be better here. It’s difficult to imagine a Government less equipped to deal with this.

But, while it’s hard for people to see Wuhan and NZ this NYE and torture themselves thinking ‘that could have been us if it wasn’t for the Tories’ it isn’t true. We were always going to get it bad. Look at Germany-they seemed to be doing better than anyone but even their universally lauded Test and Trace system collapsed and they’re now in Lockdown. The Czechs did really well in Spring but are now struggling. The Belgians are on their second kicking just like us. We-and I meant humanity-only have very limited control over this. 

limited control, but at same time some places have done a lot better than others. Germany did well in the spring, but not so well this winter...but we did badly in both and still worse this winter. There aren't many places in the world that have come off worse than us.

17 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Daily Fail has ran story as well, not sure if same level of details as the Times one though

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9102397/Britains-busiest-hospital-DISASTER-medicine-mode.html 

Moving patients from London up to Yorkshire will go down like a shit sandwhich with the natives up here - who already feel abandoned by the government before Covid even struck. 

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Almost one million people in the U.K. have been vaccinated against a disease we didn’t even know existed really this time last year. 

Pretty mental to think about and let’s hope it continues getting faster and faster in the weeks ahead!!!

I got tested again rapid test right by my work . I was thinking fuck me who would have thought this time last year I would be getting a test for a disease I'd never heard of 12 months ago