When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t understand this logic. 

Surely it’s better to have something lined up in case? If you can get out early and take voluntary redundancy you can usually get a better package and if you’re going straight into a new job then even better. 

I can understand not telling your company you’re thinking of leaving until the new job is confirmed and having something you can turn down if redundancy doesn’t happen is better than being made redundant then having to compete with your former work colleagues for the same limited roles out there. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Yeah, you should 100% send out CVs and get another job lined up

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I’d have thought this was the better way of doing it too. 

If you get another job you’re considered to have left voluntarily so you don’t get a pay out.

Would strongly advise waiting to get the juicy payout first

30 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Interested in toilet ducks view on this: that masks and social distancing means a lower dose of Covid and therefore less symptoms

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8700927/Why-Covid-death-rates-low-cases-soaring.html

I’m sure it plays some role. Viral load has been recognised for sometime as one of a number of determinants of more serious disease (age, obesity and a range of co-morbidities also contribute). Fewer contacts reduces the rate the numbers grow, smaller infectious dose due to social distancing and mask wearing might contribute to less severe disease. It’s difficult to draw firm conclusions, countries where masks were the norm at the outset suffered much lower fatality rates, but also have had more recent outbreaks of related CoVs...I’d expect it’s a combination of factors and reducing the amount of virus close contacts are exposed to probably contributes. A lot of infections though are coming from household clusters, where masks aren’t worn, so it can’t explain reduced severity on its own. Seroprevalence studies suggest 18-24 was the most frequently infected age group back in the spring as well, so what’s changed? Better protection of high risk individuals certainly (we aren’t discharging COVID patients back into care homes without testing them anymore), maybe greater underlying immunity, definitely better testing (numbers now not comparable to back in spring) and, I expect, other factors...the grim assessment is that with better testing, our hospitalisation rate is consistent with the first phase, we just have way lower numbers of infection (but are counting more accurately)..the optimistic assessment is that all of the above is contributing to reducing the severity of the disease...time will tell!

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typos!

I'm going to enjoy watching the football this next couple of weekends (I know its not important and shit and fans are hooligans but its something to do...)  - I've got a feeling we have about 6 weeks of it before it gets stopped again. They're all getting tested regularly but soon the only way to stop loads catching it will be isolating them from their families and the rest of society, which obviously only works for a couple of weeks tournament not a whole season. 

Probably being ambitious to be fair - first cancelled games due to positive test next week or the week after is more likely....

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

thats odd ... not working on desktop or phone :( ill seek it out though :) 

Here you go:

University of Oxford resumes vaccine trial

The ongoing randomised controlled clinical trials of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 will resume across all UK clinical trial sites.

Globally some 18,000 individuals have received study vaccines as part of the trial. In large trials such as this, it is expected that some participants will become unwell and every case must be carefully evaluated to ensure careful assessment of safety. 

On Sunday [06/09/2020] our standard review process triggered a study pause to vaccination across all of our global trials to allow the review of safety data by an independent safety review committee, and the national regulators. All routine follow-up appointments continued as normal during this period. 

The independent review process has concluded and following the recommendations of both the independent safety review committee and the UK regulator, the MHRA, the trials will recommence in the UK.

We cannot disclose medical information about the illness for reasons of participant confidentiality.

We are committed to the safety of our participants and the highest standards of conduct in our studies and will continue to monitor safety closely.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If you get another job you’re considered to have left voluntarily so you don’t get a pay out.

Would strongly advise waiting to get the juicy payout first

Well the juiciness of the payout depends how long you've been there - most places will only be doing statutory as they're making redundancies for mostly financial reasons, so it's a week's pay for every year you have been there for most people.

As long as your new job starts after any redundancy consultation period, you still get the payout, even if you go straight into another job the next day. But if you have to hand in your notice instead you wouldn't get it.

37 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oxford vaccine trials are back on!

https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/trial-resumes

Oxford, Moderna and Sinovac seems like the front runners atm, but I have a question for any vaccine experts.

Suppose Oxford wins the race and the others are close to completion, does that mean Oxford can patent Covid-19 vaccines and the others have to stop trials? Or could we conceivably have multiple different vaccines that are effective against coronavirus? 

36 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Oxford, Moderna and Sinovac seems like the front runners atm, but I have a question for any vaccine experts.

Suppose Oxford wins the race and the others are close to completion, does that mean Oxford can patent Covid-19 vaccines and the others have to stop trials? Or could we conceivably have multiple different vaccines that are effective against coronavirus? 

They're using different techniques, so no. You patent an implementation, not an idea. You can't patent the concept of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Edit: so, yes we're likely to end up with more than one effective vaccine in the end. Which ones will make it is another question, it might be one that's not that far ahead yet.

Edited by stuartbert two hats