When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

36 minutes ago, jparx said:

Totally. I’m all on board with Keir’s Brexit stance. The “remainers” need to keep pushing the Brexit focus back to them - ie “we don’t care, there are bigger issues. Just get it sorted so we can move on”.

See: “this is your mess not ours”...

Exactly. The Brexiteers know what a mess they’re about to make and are determined to find someone else to blame. They need to own it.

46 minutes ago, jparx said:

Totally. I’m all on board with Keir’s Brexit stance. The “remainers” need to keep pushing the Brexit focus back to them - ie “we don’t care, there are bigger issues. Just get it sorted so we can move on”.

See: “this is your mess not ours”...

Probably why they're doing the human rights thing, hoping to get Starmer involved in that battle..seeing as he was a human rights lawyer.

Robert Buckland on Andrew Marr now. This Brexit mess is more ridiculous than the CumGate to me. Our government is unbelievably pathetic. The arrogance is staggering and they have to be really careful here - the Tories are ruthless and even with a big majority, there’s only so far they will be pushed. Not that I’m in the business of having sympathy with them, but it must be exhausting being a decent (by their standards) Tory MP and having to put up with all this from your party in such a short space of time. You reap what you sow though...elect a bunch a liars and conmen and this is what you get.

I am taking from this that I can break the law if it’s an emergency, if I’m upfront about it and if it’s in a small and limited way. Unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Robert Buckland on Andrew Marr now. This Brexit mess is more ridiculous than the CumGate to me. Our government is unbelievably pathetic. The arrogance is staggering and they have to be really careful here - the Tories are ruthless and even with a big majority, there’s only so far they will be pushed. Not that I’m in the business of having sympathy with them, but it must be exhausting being a decent (by their standards) Tory MP and having to put up with all this from your party in such a short space of time. You reap what you sow though...elect a bunch a liars and conmen and this is what you get.

I am taking from this that I can break the law if it’s an emergency, if I’m upfront about it and if it’s in a small and limited way. Unbelievable.

It’s ok though cos he won’t resign ... just like the rest of them !!! 

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Yeah and it’s still worth remembering his much ground Labour have made up here. They got hammered at the last election, yet just 9 months later they’re consistently polling at around level to the Tories. The gap should really be a good 8-10 points at least after December. I take these as a positive sign Labours gains are sticking.

It’s not that simple, unfortunately. The Tories plus old UKIP vote is very annoyingly sturdy- their floor is probably 40%. Tory voters (particularly pensioners) are extremely loyal and more likely to vote than labour voters. The UKIP voters that switched to them last election will also turn out to vote as long as they’re stirred up with xenophobia/racism/whatever. Only way the Tories blow this is if they back off from Brexit, which they won’t.

It’s very challenging for Labour and any left wing or centre party in any country, to form a coalition that can actually win vs this kind of block at the moment

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

It’s not that simple, unfortunately. The Tories plus old UKIP vote is very annoyingly sturdy- their floor is probably 40%. Tory voters (particularly pensioners) are extremely loyal and more likely to vote than labour voters. The UKIP voters that switched to them last election will also turn out to vote as long as they’re stirred up with xenophobia/racism/whatever. Only way the Tories blow this is if they back off from Brexit, which they won’t.

It’s very challenging for Labour and any left wing or centre party in any country, to form a coalition that can actually win vs this kind of block at the moment

yeah this, massive task for labour...they've lost Scotland...and somehow they've got to win back those red wall voters by steering to the right on social/culture stuff...but at same time not lose liberal lefties to the lib dems or greens or abstention.

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It is massive for them but the Tories didn’t exactly do well in 2017 and in 2019 pretty much got the majority because of the dislike of Corbyn. With a more appealing leader we are already seeing some people looking like they could vote Labour again and once Brexit is done then those Brexit voters won’t have anything left to favour the Tories over. Also a lot of people do vote for Johnson, so once he goes it’ll be a different game all together. 

Due to personal issues at home, I needed to get away for a few days. I know people are against inessential travel but I really needed this for my mental health, so I booked last minute out to germany. I’m coming home later today on the plane though.

The plane is by far the riskiest part of the journey, the flight attendants coming round selling drinks and snacks is completely unnecessary and means everyones masks come off to enjoy food and drink. The plane is only an hour journey so it’s completely pointless. I kept my mask on the whole flight.

The rates in germany are about a third of the rates back home in england at the moment. It feels so much safer out here, everyone just gets on with the masks. Masks are also required in indoor and outdoor restaurants/bars where you have to wear a mask when walking between tables and to the toilet- makes so much more sense than the policies in the uk. Whenever you are standing in an indoor or outdoor queue e.g. for a food kiosk somewhere you have to wear a mask, and public toilets too.

They are VERY strict on enforcement of masks here though, and I’ve seen multiple people shouted at the last few days, much stricter than the UK, but it has also felt much safer in the UK.

Coupled with their free airport testing, mandatory contact tracing and contact tracing app, everything has felt so much safer out here. I don’t get why the uk doesn’t just copy Germany’s strategy rather than making their own unsuccessful strategies. It doesn’t make sense to me why we have to do everything differently to the countries which are performing the most successfully during this pandemic.

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Due to personal issues at home, I needed to get away for a few days. I know people are against inessential travel but I really needed this for my mental health, so I booked last minute out to germany. I’m coming home later today on the plane though.

The plane is by far the riskiest part of the journey, the flight attendants coming round selling drinks and snacks is completely unnecessary and means everyones masks come off to enjoy food and drink. The plane is only an hour journey so it’s completely pointless. I kept my mask on the whole flight.

The rates in germany are about a third of the rates back home in england at the moment. It feels so much safer out here, everyone just gets on with the masks. Masks are also required in indoor and outdoor restaurants/bars where you have to wear a mask when walking between tables and to the toilet- makes so much more sense than the policies in the uk. Whenever you are standing in an indoor or outdoor queue e.g. for a food kiosk somewhere you have to wear a mask, and public toilets too.

They are VERY strict on enforcement of masks here though, and I’ve seen multiple people shouted at the last few days, much stricter than the UK, but it has also felt much safer in the UK.

Coupled with their free airport testing, mandatory contact tracing and contact tracing app, everything has felt so much safer out here. I don’t get why the uk doesn’t just copy Germany’s strategy rather than making their own unsuccessful strategies. It doesn’t make sense to me why we have to do everything differently to the countries which are performing the most successfully during this pandemic.

People have been encouraged to go on holidays ... don’t sweat it ... hopefully the break helped you. 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

People have been encouraged to go on holidays ... don’t sweat it ... hopefully the break helped you. 

It has really helped me a lot and helped me to forget about things for a few days. Thank you...

i forgot to say as well, shop workers are required masks and restaurant/pub staff here too. Lessons the uk could learn from!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

World beating...

How legitimate is this.

I feel like its been skipped over in the thread. But the fact the tests could actually be close to 62,000 than the recent reported 200,000, that's thousands of tests are being thrown away. 

Could that mean the numbers are a lot higher than we are reporting now. 

On another note: 119552399_332245098089192_6311167090201147734_n.png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=he4D21LiBisAX9f51SW&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=5a5f0a38c2a45b9834736f53033486b5&oe=5F83E2F6

This is my local testing site and now we are starting to get cases in my area

42 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I'm currently in Portugal and can confirm the situation with mask wearing is the same here, everyone wears them in shops and when not sat down in pubs and cafes, all good you might think, but the moment you are sat down and the mask is off it's back to normal, no distancing as such, large groups sat around chatting and the most bizarre of all, the bars are selling "happy balloons" at 5 euros each, so you could well be sat next to a group of people rapidly inhaling and exhaling NO. It clearly isn't illegal here (yet) so the bars are making up for the loss of income earlier by selling these as well as booze. (This is on the strip in Albufeira). On arrival here we were told we would be temperature checked and had to hand in a form for track and trace, we filled out the form but no one took it from us, the guy at passport control wouldn't take it and there were no other checks, all as per usual, so a bit of a strange situation here!

55 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Have a good trip mate. It’s good to get away and clear your head for a few days. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

You’re allowed to travel. Hopefully that isn’t something you’ll be criticised for. Every time I go to Germany I think they do nearly everything better TBH.

Hope you have a great trip, Mental Health is hugely important and increasingly ignored as this Pandemic goes on.

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It is massive for them but the Tories didn’t exactly do well in 2017 and in 2019 pretty much got the majority because of the dislike of Corbyn. With a more appealing leader we are already seeing some people looking like they could vote Labour again and once Brexit is done then those Brexit voters won’t have anything left to favour the Tories over. Also a lot of people do vote for Johnson, so once he goes it’ll be a different game all together. 

I was in the pub the other day with an industry colleague who voted leave and has voted tory all her life, and she said she was now behind Starmer.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was in the pub the other day with an industry colleague who voted leave and has voted tory all her life, and she said she was now behind Starmer.

My mate is pretty Tory and Brexiteer (voted to leave and votes UKIP/Brexit in every EU election), but he’s pretty close to coming out for Starmer because of the mess the Johnson government is getting in to. He’d never vote Labour under Corbyn because he didn’t trust Corbyn to defend our country under nuclear attack (Corbyn flat out admitted he’d never push the nuclear button), but Starmer seems way more competent.