When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

You back to the gym? You've been being pretty careful haven't you?

A guy came up to me the other day and asked if he could share the machine I was on. I said I didn't think it was a good idea currently, to which he replied 'I'm wearing gloves'. I couldn't be bothered to explain why that doesn't make any difference and just let him go on. He then proceeded to use it without washing it before or after or saying thanks.

Oh yeah I was back on the first day. I'm being very careful with most things but I'm a hypocrite :) Still avoiding pubs etc.

Basically I'd become hugely reliant on my gym's online classes which they stopped on reopening so decide to risk going back. It's a big mental health thing for me.

Up until very recently it's been pretty dead in there. I only do classes and swim, not use the actual gym, and my classes have been way under capacity, even for the new capacity which is really low. Getting a bit busier now though. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 hours ago, BobWillis said:

Ok - I’ll bite. I’m nowhere near being a Dr or hold a PHD but this Twitter comment/graph is so out of context. What is the agenda with these people? To keep going on about the death rate being currently low (which is great) to totally forget (deliberately?) about ‘lag’. It’s surely not rocket science now to know that increased infections translate to deaths further down the line. Though hopefully these would be less due to the advances in treatment/management.

Have others noticed that this ‘let it rip’ attitude is gaining more traction? I’m really concerned about this, do they not have the sense to work out how illogical this is?

The thought process seems to be let’s go back to the ‘old normal’ for the majority with none of the current measures in place but protecting the old/vulnerable.

Are they not understanding that if we just abandon any attempt to control the spread of infection, we would likely have too many key workers going down with it at the same time leading to serious consequences for vital infrastructure like Electricity, Gas, Telecoms, Transport , Supermarkets and so on, as well as the NHS. So, if that happens how would they at a very basic level be able to feed themselves/family and then who will be taking care of the old/vulnerable that have been ‘locked’ away? Definitely not saying that the majority would have serious illness or death with this approach but would enough people be ill enough at the same time for society to stop functioning?

I obviously don’t know what the answer is but there needs to be a balance between the two outliers - letting it rip through v total lockdown. 

The current s**t show of a government hasn't distinguished itself in the way it's handled this crisis (understatement) but if managed/implemented properly I personally don’t think the current measures are that far off getting us through whilst maintaining that so difficult balance between economy/health. 

Probably very wishful thinking but I’m also hearing comments from traditional, old school Tories (with the ‘old fashioned’ concept of decency) who have probably been pushed too far now. Whilst playing to their new found red wall supporters they may be losing some of their relied upon voters. Unfortunately, I don’t think this will translate into many more Labour votes (though stranger things have happened!) Have they pushed the boundaries too far this time?

8 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Probably very wishful thinking but I’m also hearing comments from traditional, old school Tories (with the ‘old fashioned’ concept of decency) who have probably been pushed too far now. Whilst playing to their new found red wall supporters they may be losing some of their relied upon voters. Unfortunately, I don’t think this will translate into many more Labour votes (though stranger things have happened!) Have they pushed the boundaries too far this time?

If anything it might push some more of the traditional Tory shires more towards the Lib Dem’s (I’m sure Raab only held his safe Surrey seat by 2k-3k last year) whilst the red wall goes back to Labour since Brexit is done. Result ends up with the Tories losing about 80 seats, 3/4 of them to Labour and the rest to the Lib Dems. Tories still the largest party but I could see Ed Davey getting into bed with Starmer. 

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They're not talking about now.  They're talking about October.  When you're in exponential growth, then things will look very different by then.

At the moment socially distant gigs are allowed and don't seem to have caused a rise in infections. May as well plan for more

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Lol - Lib Dems. If only Clegg knew what damage he would do by backing tuition fees.

As much as I enjoy, to this day, sticking the boot into Clegg, I think much of their current woes are down the Swinson's abysmal management of the party during her time.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

As much as I enjoy, to this day, sticking the boot into Clegg, I think much of their current woes are down the Swinson's abysmal management of the party during her time.

Oh yeah I agree completely. If it wasn’t for her scheming last Autumn we wouldn’t have had the General Election. 

3 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

So when do we hold these people accountable for lies such as "We have the highest testing numbers in europe" when the reported number are far exaggerated if this report is how I understand it.  

Well, BBC don't seem to think it's even worth covering on their news website, so expect them to get away with it, just like they've got away with everything else

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If anything it might push some more of the traditional Tory shires more towards the Lib Dem’s (I’m sure Raab only held his safe Surrey seat by 2k-3k last year) whilst the red wall goes back to Labour since Brexit is done. Result ends up with the Tories losing about 80 seats, 3/4 of them to Labour and the rest to the Lib Dems. Tories still the largest party but I could see Ed Davey getting into bed with Starmer. 

Whilst I hesitate to put all the red wall voters under the same cliche of racist/xenophobic/selfish etc etc I don’t think these attitudes will change post Brexit. I’m not sure how I would feel supporting a party that needs to appeal to these voters and bring them on board. How Labour steer through this dilemma will be interesting 

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I have some Indian mates that were also VERY anti-Corbyn and voted Tory despite generally being pretty centre-left. Apparently he had some pretty shady views on the Kashmir conflict and, for all that anti-semitism got the media attention, he was also incredibly unpopular among the Hindu population. One guy I spoke to flat out said “Labour are the political wing of Islam” 

Think it's worth doing your own research here, rather than accept your friends views- I'd say it's the Indian government that's done some very shady/horrific stuff in the Kashmir conflict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_abuses_in_Jammu_and_Kashmir

https://theconversation.com/call-the-crime-in-kashmir-by-its-name-ongoing-genocide-120412

Kashmir is the most militarized region in the world, with more than half a million armed Indian troops deployed in the Indian-administered Kashmir over the past 30 years. 

They are occupying Kashmir through use of colonial war measures acts, including the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, the Public Safety Act and martial laws that have given Indian troops complete impunity. 

Gross human rights violations have occurred under their watch, according to a 2018 United Nations report. They include gang rapes by military and mass disappearances of approximately 8,000 to 10,000 people. As many as 100,000Kashmiris have been killed and several thousand wounded, blinded and maimed, including through torture tactics in custody

As a result of the war, hundreds of thousands of Kashmiri (Muslims, as well as Sikhs and Pandits) have left Kashmir, and become internationally displaced and dispossessed following the 72-year Indian occupation.

Edited by Mr.Tease

40 minutes ago, Homer said:

You back to the gym? You've been being pretty careful haven't you?

A guy came up to me the other day and asked if he could share the machine I was on. I said I didn't think it was a good idea currently, to which he replied 'I'm wearing gloves'. I couldn't be bothered to explain why that doesn't make any difference and just let him go on. He then proceeded to use it without washing it before or after or saying thanks.

You should have told the gym staff. I’d have him banned from the gym I work at for behaving like that.

Linked to my last post just above, what Labour need to do is start talking the language of coalition. It's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to win an outright majority again any time soon, so a coalition is Starmer's way into N10. To make that happen it's time to soften the electorate up to the idea now.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I'll never get this, if we are the victims of a nuclear attack it won't matter who's in Number 10, it will be the last of our worries if we are indeed lucky enough to worry.

Because they hate everyone so much (young people, foreigners, left-wingers, ethnic minorities, gay people, trans people, women) they can't rest until a whole country or two has been nuked off the face of the earth

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

weren't there similar press briefings back in early March, before they went full lockdown?  I guess Cummings seeing how unpopular. I expect more people will support this now than they did back in March,

57 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I feel like the general vibe out and about is that people still seem to think it's pretty much over. I went to the gym yesterday and the lady that took my temperature at the door said "you can come closer, I don't have corona - at least I don't think I do". Like FFS. There are 2m social distancing signs all over the gym.

No temperature tests at our gym since I’ve returned ... they were defiantly doing them initially ... why not just carry on ... it’s no real hassle is it ?!! 

Giving herd immunity another crack this sunny afternoon, the only side affect to report is a slight headache and a mouth like the inside of Gandhi's flip flop the following day. Lightening the mood a little; as you were 😎🍺

The shit show continues....

20200913_152353.jpg

• Like 1

@zahidfCheers for the heads up re Kennington - got a couple of £10 tix to see Brigstocke and Parris in a few Saturdays' time (bargain). Apparently they're a couple (someone I know, can't remember who I am afraid, told me he saw them getting off with each other by the thames recently).

Also, apparently Top Secret COmedy have cleaned their act up. By a massive coincidence I was listening to a Carl Donnelly pod the other day and he said he had his very first gig back there and was saying how good their measures are (what are the chances?!). Tempted to go tonight - Simon Brodkin (Lee Nelson) for a quid! ( @Zoo Music Girl )

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

@zahidfCheers for the heads up re Kennington - got a couple of £10 tix to see Brigstocke and Parris in a few Saturdays' time (bargain). Apparently they're a couple (someone I know, can't remember who I am afraid, told me he saw them getting off with each other by the thames recently).

Also, apparently Top Secret COmedy have cleaned their act up. By a massive coincidence I was listening to a Carl Donnelly pod the other day and he said he had his very first gig back there and was saying how good their measures are (what are the chances?!). Tempted to go tonight - Simon Brodkin (Lee Nelson) for a quid! ( @Zoo Music Girl )

Ah cool! I'll give them a go next week sometime 

Yeah, they got married last year.