When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Johnson is saying the same. Everyone is saying the same...kids have to be back in school. They don't talk about the worst case scenario because they don't want everyone shitting it. So, priority is making schools as safe as possible, and then controlling using test and trace if any local outbreaks. It's not just scientific advice they're following now, it is economists and educationists advice. At least I hope it is. You cant have what ifs for every scenario...it could be really fucking bad by christmas and half the country is dead...but, you know...hopefully it won't be.

There's a difference between saying "we have to get the kids back to school" and "we have to get the kids back to school no matter what".

There's no room for unnuanced phrases like "no matter what" or "no ifs no buts" in a scenario where we're constantly learning about how a deadly virus still works. 

54 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

What I don’t get it is the gathering was just “broken up” by the police- I thought it was supposed to be £10,000 on the spot fines now by the police?

No one is going to be threatened by the new fines if they don’t even hand one out. The least you can do is hand one £10,000 fine out, everyone will get terrified and then less people will break the rules as it will become headline news and no one has £10k to spare.

Just “breaking it up” is going to encourage more people to take the risk of hosting a big party.

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hey Homer, how was the comedy club?

Just came back in for an update on this funnily enough! @zahidf

Me this morning: So, were there any Covid measures in place last night?

The wife: Yeah, they had that sanitizer on the door remember?

Being charitable, it was only about 3/4 full - thought whether that was deliberate or it just hadn't sold out, I couldn't say. So we at least were 2m away from other people - but few were. The seating was all fixed together and not many were distancing.

The basement part of the club was also closed and they were using the upstairs room (it appeared to have aircon too).

Just now, Homer said:

Being charitable, it was only about 3/4 full - thought whether that was deliberate or it just hadn't sold out, I couldn't say. So we at least were 2m away from other people - but few were. The seating was all fixed together and not many were distancing.

The basement part of the club was also closed and they were using the upstairs room (it appeared to have aircon too).

Oh dear! was the comedy funny at least? i assume there was no mask requirement

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh dear! was the comedy funny at least? i assume there was no mask requirement

Yes, comedy was v funny thanks - seen two of the comedians before, so was a bargain for £1 (!) and they had a secret guest too (some bloke of Britain's Got Talent apparently - I've never watched it though). There no masks at all.

For the ongoing cinema debate, we got a free upgrade from our Cineworld memberships so went to the Leicester Square IMAX beforehand. Only saw one person wearing a mask in there (we wore ours throughout and took them off once we sat down). Inception is still very good, highly recommended.

18 minutes ago, Homer said:

I would argue that government guidelines are distinctly being breached here with no social distancing or masks. According to gov guidelines, masks are required for indoor performances.

Not particularly happy about hearing that, but glad you had a good time nonetheless. 

Edited by FestivalJamie

19 minutes ago, Homer said:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like they were barely paying lip service to it then really? Does seem odd that other places aren't opening if they can. Glad you enjoyed anyway.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like they were barely paying lip service to it then really? Does seem odd that other places aren't opening if they can. Glad you enjoyed anyway.

I just don't get it. If every business doesn't take this seriously its how numbers are going to spiral out of control again. I'm sorry to say it, but having a hand sanitiser on the door is not a mitigation against coronavirus, and I think it's very disappointing that they've opened their business up without any mitigation measures in place.

5 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Taking part in an antibody study at the start of September so looking forward to that.

I had some symptoms back in mid-March but at the time I thought it was just a heavy head cold. It will be interesting to see if I've 'had it'.

remember that no antibodies does not mean you haven't had it, seems half fight it off with T-cells. why antibody studies need to be taken with a massive pinch of salt

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Man that's some high level clickbait headlining right there! This strain has been identified previously, but the only evidence that it's more infectious comes from in silico modelling of the impact the alteration could have on the spike. The actual experimental data proving that it is more infectious has not been forthcoming. Different strains are seeding different infection clusters, but we don't know whether one has a competitive advantage over another or whether it's just due to founder effect and that becomes the predominant strain in a given population. There's still a ton of things we don't know about this virus!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

actually...reading that article it seems this mutation, called D614G, was predominant in Europe and US, and there is no evidence that it leads to a more severe disease.

Ha! Sorry, I was typing the above just as you were posting this...Yeah, at the moment it's clickbait, but it's not entirely impossible, just needs to be proven. 

39 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Taking part in an antibody study at the start of September so looking forward to that.

I had some symptoms back in mid-March but at the time I thought it was just a heavy head cold. It will be interesting to see if I've 'had it'.

Unlikely for a mild-medium infection 6 months ago, I'd say.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

are Universitys supposed to wait for all the appeal processes to complete before filling their courses?

Don’t think so. Where I work I believe we already have the list of most incoming students. My understanding is if you appeal, you essentially defer the year, but that may be wrong. Admissions isn’t strictly my area.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

are Universitys supposed to wait for all the appeal processes to complete before filling their courses?

No, but it's more complicated than that. "Fill" in University terms doesn't always mean the same as it does in the real world.

Specifically - many (probably most) courses will have capacity to take on more students than they typically do, but the government caps domestic (ie partially subsidised) students to an agreed number with heavy penalities for exceeding it. Usually some of the excess capacity is then taken by overseas students (who pay full fees), but obviously we're not expecting many of those this year.

So basically, if there was a desire in Westminster to find appropriate extra places for these students, they could do so by a combination of raising the cap and paying for the extra students - but I doubt either will happen.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

No, but it's more complicated than that. "Fill" in University terms doesn't always mean the same as it does in the real world.

Specifically - many (probably most) courses will have capacity to take on more students than they typically do, but the government caps domestic (ie partially subsidised) students to an agreed number with heavy penalities for exceeding it. Usually some of the excess capacity is then taken by overseas students (who pay full fees), but obviously we're not expecting many of those this year.

So basically, if there was a desire in Westminster to find appropriate extra places for these students, they could do so by a combination of raising the cap and paying for the extra students - but I doubt either will happen.

if there is a u-turn and they just go with teacher assessed grades that's going to be an even bigger headache for University admissions, right?