Pyramid, Sunday: all women ...?

eFestivals

25 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

The only thing is, the BBC are quoting it from nothing, not what Emily has said. But god I hope. Would make sense on the Sunday.

LDR does not make sense on the Sunday, either other day yes.

14 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don't get the negative opinions about this.

An all female day is a massive statement.  It shows Glasto's intention going forward.  It will make other festivals and promoters take note and pay attention.

I think it will be a cracking Sunday.

I might even get the gold hotpants out again.

Now, where did that I ♥️ Sausage flag go?

Because if you've been going on about gender equality and female acts for so long why not book this before now....it does not need to be the significant 50th to have done it.

Just now, mttJ said:

Would love LDR, Billie and Dua to all be there but assuming they'd all contest the same sub-headliner slot now? Maybe LDR subbing Taylor and Dua headlining the Other on one of the first two nights?

Dua could MAYBE be third down? If she was booked early enough it would look fantastic on the line up, but then who subs Kendrick? 

I would love Billie to be there, but I have a feeling if the album is out before next summer she'll be headlining in 2021. 

I see it (if Lana is 100%) being Dua > Kendrick, Lana > Taylor. 

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

LDR does not make sense on the Sunday, either other day yes.

Because if you've been going on about gender equality and female acts for so long why not book this before now....it does not need to be the significant 50th to have done it.

Why not the significant 50th?

They've been steering in this direction for a while anyway - just under half of the pyramid acts were female last year - and it the available artists along with Swifty and Ross make that super Sunday possible this year then go for it.

Am in work at the minute so can not really go into much detail regarding my opinion on crowd diversity. It is a point I have continually raised on here in the past and it is a touchy subject.

I live in a multicultural area in what is one of the poorest areas within inner city Manchester. There is an impression within my environment that people who are either poor and northern or from an ethnic background that they would not be welcome at Glastonbury. They think it is just for white rich kids. I can see where they are coming from as the first time I ever went to Glastonbury, the kids in the tents next to us were worried we might rob them, just because we had the audacity to be from Manchester. We were also sat under the tree at the Pyramid stage at my friend Karl was the only black person within eyes sight.

Now Parklife has the most ethnically diverse crowd I have even seen. Yet even on this website there has been disparaging remarks made about the crowd that attend.

Glastonbury can not have it both ways, it can't blow its own trumpet anout giving chances for more women and giving opportunities to the the likes of Stormzy, then have them playing to a predominantly white crowd.

I appreciate it is a touchy subject and sorry if I have offended anyone but it is a big elephant in the room.

The impression is that Glastonbury is just for white and rich kids.Steps need to be takel to dispel that. More can be done.  What this is, is up for discussion.

• Upvote 1

I also think they should just be naturally spread about to normalise it and set the standard for other festivals. All on one day would feel kinda forced imo.

That said, at least it’s not the same as TRNSMT’s “Queen Tuts Stage”, which is literally only in place so they have an excuse when asked about the fact they exclusively book white boys with guitars on the main stages.

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Am in work at the minute so can not really go into much detail regarding my opinion on crowd diversity. It is a point I have continually raised on here in the past and it is a touchy subject.

I live in a multicultural area in what is one of the poorest areas within inner city Manchester. There is an impression within my environment that people who are either poor and northern or from an ethnic background that they would not be welcome at Glastonbury. They think it is just for white rich kids. I can see where they are coming from as the first time I ever went to Glastonbury, the kids in the tents next to us were worried we might rob them, just because we had the audacity to be from Manchester. We were also sat under the tree at the Pyramid stage at my friend Karl was the only black person within eyes sight.

Eh? Most of Liverpool is there!

Edited by Hugh Jass

Just to clarify @eastynh I'm not denying that there's a massive imbalance in who attends the festival, and it sounds like you're in more of a place to see some of the reasons and impacts around that than I am.  And not offended at all :)

For me the question around it is how the festival would do it without forcing the issue through targeted, segregated ticket sales or pricing bands. But not one for an internet forum while you're at work. And I REALLY need to do some work today :lol:

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Why not the significant 50th?

They've been steering in this direction for a while anyway - just under half of the pyramid acts were female last year - and it the available artists along with Swifty and Ross make that super Sunday possible this year then go for it.

Because that just says....ooh it's the big anniversary so let's do something big and all.the talk about it previous years was to look good.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

My suspicion is now LDR and Dua Lipa are the Friday/Sunday subs.

Which way round I couldn’t tell you.

LDR > Taylor just seems perfect. Taylor has been talking a fair bit about Lana recently and heaping loads of praise on to her. Obviously the festival won't be making bookings solely on the basis that the act playing after them is a fan, but it just links up nicely given recent comments. I think Lana would get the better crowd in that slot as well. Dua > Kenny is a cracking one two for a proper energetic Friday night as well.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

My suspicion is now LDR and Dua Lipa are the Friday/Sunday subs.

Which way round I couldn’t tell you.

Really hoping LDR is Friday.

I don't get that kind of melancholic music. I need a beat / or for it to be loud in the main. To me she's very boring. I want a party before Swift. I am not into Dua Lipa either, but she would be upbeat and I could get into it. Preference for before Taylor.... Lizzo.

LDR is a massive act and I am sure for the fans she will be a big hit. I will be somewhere else though I hope.