Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

45 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Not good:

This is a little annoying as they are not being advised to do this... they are just taking it upon themselves... which makes others think they need to do it. When the experts have said its not needed... at least not yet. 

12 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Today's update:

Again, another day that wasn't great but not a complete disaster either. Importantly no countries exploding like Italy, Iran and South Korea yet.

China's cases down a nice round 2,500 (27,436) which is what we want to see. Hopefully the trend there continues. In the rest of East Asia (bar South Korea) there wasn't a great deal of change. Cambodia (0), Vietnam (0), Thailand (11), Philippines (1), Indonesia (2) and Taiwan (29) saw no change. Slight increase in cases in Singapore (up 2 to 32) and Malaysia (up 3 to 14). Despite an increase in Japan (up 8 to 244) I was actually quite encouraged by their numbers. They seem to have slowed down the spread and they announced 11 recoveries yesterday too so hopefully this is the start of them announcing further recoveries. Hong Kong is down 1 (61) and Macau is also down 1 (1).

South Korea announced just 11 recoveries yesterday so we aren't quite at the stage of mass recoveries yet it seems. Overall active case numbers rose by 505 (5,259).

In the Middle East, so far no other country has seen a rise like Iran. Jordan announced it's first case (1) and there were gradual increases elsewhere. Oman announced its first 2 recoveries but cases still rose to 10. UAE also rose to 22 and Iraq rose to 32. Elsewhere, there was no change in Israel (11), Lebanon (13), Afghanistan (1), Kuwait (56), Bahrain (49) and Saudi Arabia (1). Qatar rose by 1 (8).

Iran didn't actually announce any recoveries yesterday so their case numbers rocketed by 824 (1,968).

In Europe there was a mix of countries with no change and countries with gradual growth. Encouragingly, in the 'new wave' of countries, we saw our first recoveries in Romania and Switzerland. The UK is up 12 (43) and Ireland has its second case. Other countries with fairly high levels of growth are Norway (32), Sweden (30), Switzerland (56) and Netherlands (24). The big worries continue to be Spain (up 44 to 162, also had its first death), France (up 20 to 196) and Germany (up 38 to 187). New countries are Ukraine and Liechtenstein (1 each).

In Italy, we only saw 11 recoveries which led to an overall growth of 428 (2,263).

There wasn't much change in Africa although Tunisia announced its first case (1). Senegal was the only other change, increasing by 1 (2).

In South America, Chile and Argentina announced their first cases (1), whereas Brazil remained on 2. Ecuador increased by 1 to 7. Further north, Mexico had its first recovery so is actually down 1 (4). Saint Barthelemy in the Caribbean has announced 3 cases (3). USA continues to increase and has quite a few deaths now too (9). Overall the USA is up 18 (110). Canada grew by 8 as well (27).

Elsewhere, New Zealand announced its second case and Australia increased by 8 (27). India had worrying increases due to 15 Italian nationals testing positive over there. I think their numbers are now at 25 active cases (although my source dashboard hasn't updated this yet).

Great report and heres a graphical link

https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html

17 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Today's update:

Again, another day that wasn't great but not a complete disaster either. Importantly no countries exploding like Italy, Iran and South Korea yet.

China's cases down a nice round 2,500 (27,436) which is what we want to see. Hopefully the trend there continues. In the rest of East Asia (bar South Korea) there wasn't a great deal of change. Cambodia (0), Vietnam (0), Thailand (11), Philippines (1), Indonesia (2) and Taiwan (29) saw no change. Slight increase in cases in Singapore (up 2 to 32) and Malaysia (up 3 to 14). Despite an increase in Japan (up 8 to 244) I was actually quite encouraged by their numbers. They seem to have slowed down the spread and they announced 11 recoveries yesterday too so hopefully this is the start of them announcing further recoveries. Hong Kong is down 1 (61) and Macau is also down 1 (1).

South Korea announced just 11 recoveries yesterday so we aren't quite at the stage of mass recoveries yet it seems. Overall active case numbers rose by 505 (5,259).

In the Middle East, so far no other country has seen a rise like Iran. Jordan announced it's first case (1) and there were gradual increases elsewhere. Oman announced its first 2 recoveries but cases still rose to 10. UAE also rose to 22 and Iraq rose to 32. Elsewhere, there was no change in Israel (11), Lebanon (13), Afghanistan (1), Kuwait (56), Bahrain (49) and Saudi Arabia (1). Qatar rose by 1 (8).

Iran didn't actually announce any recoveries yesterday so their case numbers rocketed by 824 (1,968).

In Europe there was a mix of countries with no change and countries with gradual growth. Encouragingly, in the 'new wave' of countries, we saw our first recoveries in Romania and Switzerland. The UK is up 12 (43) and Ireland has its second case. Other countries with fairly high levels of growth are Norway (32), Sweden (30), Switzerland (56) and Netherlands (24). The big worries continue to be Spain (up 44 to 162, also had its first death), France (up 20 to 196) and Germany (up 38 to 187). New countries are Ukraine and Liechtenstein (1 each).

In Italy, we only saw 11 recoveries which led to an overall growth of 428 (2,263).

There wasn't much change in Africa although Tunisia announced its first case (1). Senegal was the only other change, increasing by 1 (2).

In South America, Chile and Argentina announced their first cases (1), whereas Brazil remained on 2. Ecuador increased by 1 to 7. Further north, Mexico had its first recovery so is actually down 1 (4). Saint Barthelemy in the Caribbean has announced 3 cases (3). USA continues to increase and has quite a few deaths now too (9). Overall the USA is up 18 (110). Canada grew by 8 as well (27).

Elsewhere, New Zealand announced its second case and Australia increased by 8 (27). India had worrying increases due to 15 Italian nationals testing positive over there. I think their numbers are now at 25 active cases (although my source dashboard hasn't updated this yet).

Thanks for the update.

Currently keeping a close watch on this as I'm supposed to be flying to Vancouver on the 15th of March, then onto Seattle (seems to be the most affected area in the US currently) and finishing up in New York, a trip I've been saving a few years for. Taking each day as it comes. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

from the numbers i've seen from the USA (I think they might have been Washington state), there was around a 30% death rate - which suggests it's waaaaay more widespread than the numbers are picking up.

Because people can’t afford doctor’s appointments? 

Edited by whitehorses

On 3/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, Hugh Jass said:

That disappoints me, I was hoping to see you chipping in on a discussion about weaning methods with “well, it was 1994 and I was walking around Birmingham NEC having taken some really strong acid...”

Hello Hugh Jass,

I'm sorry to have disappointed you. I can see the error of my ways and that I need to pull my socks up when it comes to my revisiting the Mumsnet site. I thank you for your guidance on this, as I am now convinced that you are right, and that what all those breast feeding ladies want is to hear me bang on about drug fuelled moments in my life. I expect to be greeted heartily by them, and if they have an up vote / down vote system in place, that I should be head of the leader board in next to no time.

As an aside, and as some sort of positive action for being so remiss in my ways, I am happy to confirm that I took some military grade acid last night. I am currently on a four night holiday, which unsurprisingly has turned in to a drugs fest. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

I think it's also because the virus is in one of the places it can do most damage - A nursing home, the elderly are at most risk and the staff are also testing positive so they're having to be off sick which is leading to a shortage in nursing staff and it's currently a vicious circle.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

from the numbers i've seen from the USA (I think they might have been Washington state), there was around a 30% death rate - which suggests it's waaaaay more widespread than the numbers are picking up.

I think it doesn’t help when you live in a country that charges you for hospital visits. People won’t be getting tested for it until they are literally coughing their lungs up. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yea, although I think (not 100% sure) that a lot of the initial outbreak (and subsequent deaths) were in a nursing home.

In that case, it would be expected for the death rate to be unnaturally high.

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Hugh Jass,

I'm sorry to have disappointed you. I can see the error of my ways and that I need to pull my socks up when it comes to my revisiting the Mumsnet site. I thank you for your guidance on this, as I am now convinced that you are right, and that what all those breast feeding ladies want is to hear me bang on about drug fuelled moments in my life. I expect to be greeted heartily by them, and if they have an up vote / down vote system in place, that I should be head of the leader board in next to no time.

As an aside, and as some sort of positive action for being so remiss in my ways, I am happy to confirm that I took some military grade acid last night. I am currently on a four night holiday, which unsurprisingly has turned in to a drugs fest. 

Good lad Yog. You never fail to disappoint.

Just now, AlexOvd said:

This is in Philippines

I think different countries will take different views towards it, so what happens elsewhere isn't necessarily an indicator for what will happen here.

Having said that, my worry is that the UK govt will feel the need to cancel stuff on a "need to be seen to be doing something" basis rather than because it's a useful thing to do in the circumstances of the time.

4 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

In any infection outbreak there will always be those who carry the virus unknowingly and without showing significant symptoms. These are the persons which the Health officials refer to as a "wider source of infection" and the ones they considerable  worry.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

am happy to confirm that I took some military grade acid last night. I am currently on a four night holiday, which unsurprisingly has turned in to a drugs fest. 

I'm on day 3 of 7 days off, got to confess that I'm tempted by the stash of the same that has been sat at the back of my fridge for many months.  I've not tripped since last glastonbury because my head hasn't been in the right place, so we'll see :)  I've got one of the legendary che guevarra's left and a handful of varying designs and strengths that I've been saving for a rainy day.  Enjoy your time off mate :)

• Upvote 2

My god this thread is depressing.  I get the impression from some people here that it doesn’t matter what new information or counter argument is posted there is nothing that can dissuade them from the opinion that Glastonbury, the UK and all life as we know it is over.

Glad these few don’t make the decision, they’d have cancelled it already.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I think different countries will take different views towards it, so what happens elsewhere isn't necessarily an indicator for what will happen here.

Having said that, my worry is that the UK govt will feel the need to cancel stuff on a "need to be seen to be doing something" basis rather than because it's a useful thing to do in the circumstances of the time.

I agree. The direction of travel is most concerning. Health Officials will do or may have already done risk assessments for events and we may expect some to be cancelled if infection rates rise. Being one of the largest events it's obvious the fest is very high on the list.

26 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks for the update.

Currently keeping a close watch on this as I'm supposed to be flying to Vancouver on the 15th of March, then onto Seattle (seems to be the most affected area in the US currently) and finishing up in New York, a trip I've been saving a few years for. Taking each day as it comes. 

If you make it Seattle is an amazing city, try and get to Snoqualmie  Falls if that's your kind of thing as well, really beautiful

12 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said: “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year's event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.

Doesn't mean a jot. We are in the hands of the virus outbreak and the government/CMO's response.

5 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

If you make it Seattle is an amazing city, try and get to Snoqualmie  Falls if that's your kind of thing as well, really beautiful

I can't wait to go! I'm getting nervous at the moment but what will be will be, it's completely out of my hands...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look them up at the moment my 'must sees' are Chihuly Garden and Glass and the Museum of Pop Culture :) 

Edited by Kalopsia

love the hysteria going around

one of my staff has just been sick, I am guessing she is up the duff (again) or picked up a tummy bug from one of her kids. 

people are freaking out , googling symptoms

I m sat here asking can she carry on till she has finished then she can go home, she has shit to do....

joke i sent her home , i don't want a bug