Watching an act with dodgy a rumour about them

Homer

11 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Did not know about that.  I've only recently started listening to them.  A quick google shows it's unproved allegations. 

Without belittling the complainant, should allegations like that effectively end someone's career when they're currently not proven?  I suppose that is the crux of the matter that the thread is intended to be about. 

Can someone please clue me in to who we're talking about?

9 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Can someone please clue me in to who we're talking about?

Avi Buffalo. He's playing Williams Green on Sunday. I was considering leaving Slaves early to go see him as I like his first album (it's very good).

16 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

What on earth have I just read? 4 pages in and still more baffled than when I started. 

The whole thrust of the thread is: Don’t copy and paste from Word to a forum - only a lunatic would think it would transfer as text ?

I have my reservations about The Libertines. I read an article about The Libertines, on one of those bing news sites. It said that in 2005 Doherty had been approached by a writer that was a student, at Trinity college, Oxford. This student wanted Doherty's opinion about a play he had written. The article claims Doherty left him with his bouncer, who then preceded to throw the man out of the window of his apartment in London. This killed the Trinity college, Oxford student. I worry about that approach to academics in Glastonbury from artists. I don't think Doherty's shows are safe to watch.

29 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

What on earth have I just read? 4 pages in and still more baffled than when I started. 

There's a certain artist on Williams Green at 1400 on Sunday who may or may not have committed some form of sexual assault, according to a number of posts that surfaced online last year. 

Allegedly. 

3 minutes ago, VeeDubs said:

Keeping things light, this confused tittle tattling conjures up wonderful mental images of Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough “Cissie and Ada” sketches of yore.

Fun fact: the actor who played Crabtree in Allo Allo (as pictured above) is actually a fluent French speaker (I might as well add something of value to this thread).

Edited by Homer

It's a rumour at the moment. Not seen the text trail but until something is proven one way or the other then I would treat it as what it is - a rumour. Nobody knows if the starter of said rumour has an agenda. There's just not enough information about it. 

On the whole of - should you listen to / watch music from artists with dodgy rumours etc. We've had this conversation several times. You would be listening to a pretty short playlist if you didn't.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong
clarity

Ah the wisdom of hindsight....  If I think about the bands and performers I've enjoyed watching only for a dark past to later emerge - Rolf would be an example and, sadly, there are several more....

It get's more complicated when rumours are circulating or date from a long time ago but remain unproven.  Do you take the 'innocent until proven guilty' approach or the 'it's not worth the risk' approach?

Is it possible to somehow drag this thread into the physical world as Glastonbury's most surreal hotspot yet?

Working title of the Homer-hole...

I imagine having to weave your way through a maze of mac / word / forum copy & paste puzzles before entry is achieved

2 minutes ago, DesperateDad said:

Is it possible to somehow drag this thread into the physical world as Glastonbury's most surreal hotspot yet?

I imagine having to weave your way through a maze of mac / word / forum copy & paste puzzles before entry is achieved

Control X (so technically 'cut') and control V - it usually works!

For an extra layer of hilarity, re the typo, I've spent my whole working day today proofreading articles (as already discussed, was up until 2am last night, which may be a factor).

5 minutes ago, DesperateDad said:

I think it's safe to assume that the issue with the OP was a picnic problem. 

5 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Ah the wisdom of hindsight....  If I think about the bands and performers I've enjoyed watching only for a dark past to later emerge - Rolf would be an example and, sadly, there are several more....

It get's more complicated when rumours are circulating or date from a long time ago but remain unproven.  Do you take the 'innocent until proven guilty' approach or the 'it's not worth the risk' approach?

It's a difficult one. I feel no shame about saying I enjoyed watching Rolf at the time but I certainly wouldn't go to see him now. I think if the allegations are numerous as in the kind of thing that we've had with Ryan Adams then I'd also be happy to swerve seeing him as well. As to how wrong people feel he was or wasn't I certainly feel he seems to have a thing for using an unhealthy power dynamic to find girlfriends and that for me is a no. It's a bit like teacher/student relationships. 

The FWF one is a bit different for me because I don't know enough information about the allegation other than someone writing on an album billboard I've seen nothing else. I suppose we all have our own moral compass and we're also all hypocrites to a certain extent. 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Theres a stage named after a paedophile.

A confirmed paedophile (Wyman) played the Acoustic a couple of years back etc.

Neither of those people are paedophiles.  Paedophilia is an abnormality, whereas it's normal to be attracted to a sexually mature person - as you no doubt are.  (It's illegal to act on it if they're under the legal age though.)

Sorry for being pedantic about this sort of thing, but my neighbour is a paediatrician and I'd really prefer to avoid a visit from you and the mob as I've just had new double glazing installed.