Flags: Where can I order one?

douglasmanso

Thing is, flags are a contentious issue, enough that a few years ago the festival put it to a vote and...well, I don't agree with the result but I respect it and go with the majority opinion....sounds like another vote in recent years now I come to think of it.

34 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Thing is, flags are a contentious issue, enough that a few years ago the festival put it to a vote and...well, I don't agree with the result but I respect it and go with the majority opinion....sounds like another vote in recent years now I come to think of it.

I remember the vote, yes it was pretty close. I think though I voted to keep them despite how much I hate them, because it felt like banning things was the start of a slippery slope for the big G.

I've just googled it 55-45 apparently.  

I love flags at the stages. The idea that it blocks views is tenuous at best given the people having their 'view' blocked are so far back that the band are not massively visible without any flags anyway. The only flag rule I'd apply is that if you're taking it to the stage, make it a good flag not some meaningless twaddle. National flags, political flags, band flags  etc, etc all good.

Humourous flags can work. The 'GOD HATES FLAGS' flag was very good, combining a perfect font replication of the Westboro Church posters and a tact acknowledgment of anti flag feeling.

But I love seeing flags, especially national flags from far and wide.

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I love flags at the stages. The idea that it blocks views is tenuous at best given the people having their 'view' blocked are so far back that the band are not massively visible without any flags anyway. The only flag rule I'd apply is that if you're taking it to the stage, make it a good flag not some meaningless twaddle. National flags, political flags, band flags  etc, etc all good.

Humourous flags can work. The 'GOD HATES FLAGS' flag was very good, combining a perfect font replication of the Westboro Church posters and a tact acknowledgment of anti flag feeling.

But I love seeing flags, especially national flags from far and wide.

Nope, flags are sh1t. Flag carriers are selfish twats. I want to see the stage not some arseholes idea of humour.

23 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I want to see the stage not some arseholes idea of humour.

It's all about what you want ?‍♂️

In all seriousness, in all my years of going to Glastonbury, I've never had my view blocked by a flag. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Tbh, the only thing two things have ever blocked my view:

1) tall people and I'm not about to suggest the lanky freaks of nature shouldn't be there.

2) a women in front of me at the killers in 2017 who had a hand puppet, who kept sticking her arm in the air to singalong with it.

Each time, I've just moved slightly, not let it bother me and got on with my life.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, Hugh Jass said:

I accept that they block people’s views, but for me the sea of flags is quintessentially Glastonbury. It wouldn’t be same without them IMO.

This. It's one of those iconic features of Glastonbury.

It's a festival, not a concert. In a way flags will give people sense of belonging. Another festival I've been to that has loads of flags is Sziget, which has a really international crowd. Instead of random pointless flags people were carrying their own national flags. Being there it really gives you a feeling that the world has come together, a feeling of unity - something that festivals are essentially about.  People were super friendly and even complimented each others countries. It made the festival "bigger than it really was".  I guess the issue with Glastonbury is that flags are considered a joke by many. The more ridiculous they are, the more they annoy other people. 

And.. not that it's important, but you have to admit that the sea of flags looks amazing on live videos. Just from looking at flags you could identify the festival.

Edited by eyebrain
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, eyebrain said:

It's a festival, not a concert. In a way flags will give people sense of belonging. Another festival I've been to that has loads of flags is Sziget, which has a really international crowd. Instead of random pointless flags people were carrying their own national flags. Being there it really gives you a feeling that the world has come together, a feeling of unity - something that festivals are essentially about.  People were super friendly and even complimented each others countries. It made the festival "bigger than it really was".  I guess the issue with Glastonbury is that flags are considered a joke by many. The more ridiculous they are, the more they annoy other people. 

And.. not that it's important, but you have to admit that the sea of flags looks amazing on live videos. Just from looking at flags you could identify the festival.

Total shite. The vast majority want to see a band perform, not just hear them perform live. There obviously isn't a sense of belonging, because of all the evidence against that. Yes it might look good to you when you see it back on the television, but you are doing that at the expense of somebody else's enjoyment. There is no life or death situation which means that you have to have a flag. So, it boils down to the people who bring flags, simply DO NOT give a shit about others that might be affected negatively. Fuck that attitude - in normal life, not just at Glastonbury. 

• Upvote 5

Bollocks do they look amazing on television. If anything they stop the Beeb being able to see shit as well. They're constantly having to cut away because of flags getting in shot. The coverage would be way better without flags getting in the way. They may be able to focus on the crowd a bit more instead

How anyone can argue that the idea that flags block the view is tenuous is beyond me. Have you looked at some of the pictures in this thread? You cannot see beyond them at some points.

Beware flag carriers at the stages. They may well be incurable narcissists. I mean, have you ever seen one on here concede any points, or care that they're being a pain in the arse, or admit that they're attention seeking show offs who want to spot themselves on telly?

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Bollocks do they look amazing on television. If anything they stop the Beeb being able to see shit as well. They're constantly having to cut away because of flags getting in shot. The coverage would be way better without flags getting in the way. They may be able to focus on the crowd a bit more instead

How anyone can argue that the idea that flags block the view is tenuous is beyond me. Have you looked at some of the pictures in this thread? You cannot see beyond them at some points.

Beware flag carriers at the stages. They may well be incurable narcissists. I mean, have you ever seen one on here concede any points, or care that they're being a pain in the arse, or admit that they're attention seeking show offs who want to spot themselves on telly?

So the extroverts should pipe down to make the introverts happy?  How about the introverts join the party?!  

But seriously, surely all the phones in the air and the lines of camping chairs are way more annoying?  You can't please all the people all the time.  Just let people do what they do.  Glastonbury is about creativity and freedom, and if the way someone expresses that is with a flag, then I'm all for it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Keithy said:

It's all about what you want ?‍♂️

In all seriousness, in all my years of going to Glastonbury, I've never had my view blocked by a flag. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Tbh, the only thing two things have ever blocked my view:

1) tall people and I'm not about to suggest the lanky freaks of nature shouldn't be there.

2) a women in front of me at the killers in 2017 who had a hand puppet, who kept sticking her arm in the air to singalong with it.

Each time, I've just moved slightly, not let it bother me and got on with my life.

So are you saying that the people who said their view has been blocked by flags are for some reason lying? Are the photos of the stage blocked by flags doctored?!

Us tall people can't help our size. if we were tall because we chose to use stilts, then we'd be being arseholes, like flag bearers!

4 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

So the extroverts should pipe down to make the introverts happy?  How about the introverts join the party?!  

But seriously, surely all the phones in the air and the lines of camping chairs are way more annoying?  You can't please all the people all the time.  Just let people do what they do.  Glastonbury is about creativity and freedom, and if the way someone expresses that is with a flag, then I'm all for it.  

What can you realistically express creatively with a flag, that can only be done during a gig? If I want to express my creativity via a gigantic hat that blocks the views of hundreds/thousands of people behind me, is that okay because I'm just expressing my creativity.

Fact: nearly all the flags people bring are shite! Most are flags of countries, some have not very funny jokes on them. Even with a funny joke, do you need to broadcast it for an hour and have it take priority over what's going on on stage? Should they cut the sound on stage so people can crack one joke for an hour to everyone behind them?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, eyebrain said:

As if no one would realise their watching something called "Glastonbury" on TV without a sea of flags! look at older coverage- hardly any flags. The flags only started multiplying with more bbc coverage because people wanted to be able to spot where they were when they watched the coverage back.

Here's a top tip: no one gives a shit where you were stood during a gig! It's pure narcissism

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

What? Nobody has mentioned extroverts or introverts. People are talking about being able to visually see an act or acts that they've paid good money to see. They have not paid money to watch a flag or flags, whether they are wielded by extroverts or otherwise. Now, as it happens at all the Glastonbury's that I have gone to (around the 25 number) I have always gone with some considerable extroverts - as in way over the top extroverts. Not one of them has ever brought a flag. Even in the days before mobile phones we didn't need a flag to find each other. Learn to triangulate. Get with the programme - flags are unnecessary and actually positively piss people off. So, ask yourself this question - do you or do you not give a fuck whether you piss other people off, or not? 

• Upvote 2

if flags are just to helps friends find each other and help organise groups, why are they so bloody big,  surely a little windsock would do the same job and not piss off the hundreds of people behind you.

I haven't been to Glastonbury since 94 and I don't recall any flags then,  I do watch every year on TV and constantly think flag bearers look like complete bellends

Edited by Bennykill

56 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

That's a bizzare straw-man argument on so many levels.

There is nothing 'creative' about flags. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

12 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

if flags are just to helps friends find each other and help organise groups, why are they so bloody big,  surely a little windsock would do the same job and not piss off the hundreds of people behind you.

I haven't been to Glastonbury since 94 and I don't recall any flags then,  I do watch every year on TV and constantly think flag bearers look like complete bellends

This! No need for huge flags and you only need to put these up when one of your group goes away instead of constantly having them in the air. That being said it is as easy to just navigate a route based on walking through by a particular food outlet. I'd have thought a huge group is easier to spot than just 1 person and my husband and I always manage fine without a flag. 

I genuinely think if you have to bring a flag at least make sure it is funny and memorable enough to justify its existence. I think in all my years of going to Glastonbury I've only seen 2 that have made me laugh enough to justify their existence. I can live with 2 flags. They are the already mentioned God hates flags and the other one was a photoshopped picture of Theresa May running through a field of wheat with the caption naughty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

So are you saying that the people who said their view has been blocked by flags are for some reason lying? Are the photos of the stage blocked by flags doctored?!

Us tall people can't help our size. if we were tall because we chose to use stilts, then we'd be being arseholes, like flag bearers!

Yep. Dirty anti flagist liars.

I'm not disputing flags block 'a view' but I'd dispute the quality of the view they are blocking. Remove the flags and people are so far back that the band is almost indistinguishable. I was far back for Doly and could barely make her out...ended up watching the screens until I realised I could just move and get a better view.

I get that people don't like them but I've never really heard many people say that a set was great but could see anything. I find the labeling of flagists (flaggers?) bellends, arseholes, selfish and twats probably says more about the people who don't like flags than the ones who do ?‍♂️

I find it a slightly weird stance to say the person with the flag is a selfish twat because he's ruining my view. 

You know the flags are going to be there. Just like there's going to be drunk idiots, chatters, the chair brigade, etc. It's all live and let live for me, I can just move to another spot if I don't like it. I certainly wouldn't like to tell a fellow Glastonbury attendee to change their experience because it's impacting mine.

Edited by Keithy
  • Upvote 3