stuartbert two hats

Shangri-La 2019

10 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

So we have established that by excluding people from this safe zone based on gender you would be excluding some males who supports such an endeavour and including some women who are against the idea. If that's not an argument against the premise I don't know what is. 

The counterpoint to that would bet that regardless of the opinion of a 'safe zone', the victims of the kind of behaviour we're talking about are always women, so their interests come first.

That said, you raise a good point. The wider issue of the patriarchy is not gendered, in my opinion. 'Patriarchy' as a behaviour-influencing concept is internalised by many women (and disproportionately by 'influencers') and exacerbated in that way far beyond the reach of the majority of men. In that way, it's systemic and prevalent throughout gender and sex groups. The 'first cause' is masculine, so that's where we work towards a solution, but there are - tragically - willing participants in this thing.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:
2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

No it's not.

Good point well made. 

Morto for the angry man losing his shit cos he's excluded from a venue that he probably couldn't find..... 😉

Quick question from a newbie. Are all Shangri La sets late ones? 

Not seen The Damned live in over 25 years. Just wondering what time they are likely to be playing?

OK, I was just making a lighthearted joke, come back a day later and theres about ten pages of messiness.|

I cant wait to see the Damned again.

13 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Quick question from a newbie. Are all Shangri La sets late ones? 

Not seen The Damned live in over 25 years. Just wondering what time they are likely to be playing?

10pm to 4am according to Earache on Twitter, no exact stage times yet

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

Has anyone made a Shangri-la playlist yet?

Yeah @cb4747 has done one.  On Spotify called Shangri-La Glastonbury by Charlotte Bell.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

IIRC Napalm Norman and the lads were on the Truth Stage about 8pm.

That was the Thursday wasn't it? Once you get into the triumvirate of the weekend it's later sets I think

36 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah @cb4747 has done one.  On Spotify called Shangri-La Glastonbury by Charlotte Bell.

Aye I discovered it shortly after posting!

Loving the new sound to the naughty corner. Does anyone think its gonna make it more busy considering probably same amount of dance but a bit more punk/metal to be found? 

9 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Somehow I am struggling to find this, does anyone have a link?

47 minutes ago, DJL said:

Somehow I am struggling to find this, does anyone have a link?

I'm guessing that means this:

8 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Loving the new sound to the naughty corner. Does anyone think its gonna make it more busy considering probably same amount of dance but a bit more punk/metal to be found? 

I think it all depends on what Arcadia announces. They definitely need to spread the late night crowds across the site so hopefully a regenerated Arcadia with some big names will do that. I really hope so, the SE corner is my favourite area but some of the bottlenecks at times aren't just not fun, they're dangerous. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think it all depends on what Arcadia announces. They definitely need to spread the late night crowds across the site so hopefully a regenerated Arcadia with some big names will do that. I really hope so, the SE corner is my favourite area but some of the bottlenecks at times aren't just not fun, they're dangerous. 

Agreed, it can be very off-putting. I've been where they've closed off areas. I'm praying they've done something with silver Hayes. So much potential there to regenerate it. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Arcadia need a decent name on the Thursday slot if IDLES are Thursday to balance the crowd. 

14 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Morto for the angry man losing his shit cos he's excluded from a venue that he probably couldn't find..... 😉

This sounds like a metaphor for... well, you get the idea.

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Arcadia need a decent name on the Thursday slot if IDLES are Thursday to balance the crowd. 

They would do if that IDLES thought is correct. The Glade usually put someone decent on Thursday too if my memory serves me. Not sure how much difference it makes though, there's 150,000 people looking for something to do on Thursday night...

6 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Arcadia doesn't open on Thursday. They do the secret dress rehearsal and, if you're lucky, they test the speakers for a bit.

13 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They would do if that IDLES thought is correct. The Glade usually put someone decent on Thursday too if my memory serves me. Not sure how much difference it makes though, there's 150,000 people looking for something to do on Thursday night...

Yeah I think The Orb were in Glade last time on Thursday. It was difficult to get anywhere to hear tbh. 

Thursday's a great day for a site wide bar crawl in my opinion. Ahy music is a bonus. 

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Yeah I think The Orb were in Glade last time on Thursday. It was difficult to get anywhere to hear tbh. 

Spent the whole evening there from about 8pm - close. Was a fantastic night (even if The Orb were a bit shambolic, but you get used to that over 30 years).

I walked in and out of The Orb (found it  a bit boring) and I didn't think it as that busy. Got into the Spaceport too for Darren Emerson (was rammed but doable).

40 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

So we have info they are Thursday night then?