AOC at Glastonbury?

Keithy

5 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Loada bollix isn't it. Becoming less a retreat in here from the usual shit ye deal with on a daily basis. Fucking sick of it truth be told. 

The thread, about a year ago, titled "Why isn't there a Rightfield at Glastonbury?' was the turning point for me.

Edited by Glastoboy

5 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

The thread, about a year ago, titled "Why isn't there a Rightfield at Glastonbury?' was the turning point for me.

You've been around here long enough to see that thread title come round on at least two separate occasions. :rolleyes: 

It might surprise you to know that these forums have never been your personal echo chamber and they never will be.

Glastonbury is not a tory free zone. It's always had it's share of morons and the greedy. "Never trust a hippie" are words that came from experience.

----

Two years ago there was a lot of "how dare anyone criticise Corbyn" going on round here. Today few are leaping to his defence.

Perhaps as Nal said politicians are flawed and some people are putting too much credence in the words of politicians?

Edited by eFestivals

15 hours ago, Pipkins said:

As the ever reliable Wikipedia states: Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize Millennials andGeneration Z as being more prone to taking offence and having less psychological resilience than previousgenerations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own.

I stand by my statement, or have I triggered you...?

Snowflake? triggered.? Phrases generally used by complete c**ts of course.  Is that you? Or do you get off on trotting out the received bullshit buzzwords?

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Perhaps as Nal said politicians are flawed and some people are putting too much credence in the words of politicians?

I think it was put a tad more emphatically, to the point I thought it sounded like guff.  There are good and bad in every walk of life.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

You've been around here long enough to see that thread title come round on at least two separate occasions. :rolleyes: 

It might surprise you to know that these forums have never been your personal echo chamber and they never will be.

Glastonbury is not a tory free zone. It's always had it's share of morons and the greedy. "Never trust a hippie" are words that came from experience.

----

Two years ago there was a lot of "how dare anyone criticise Corbyn" going on round here. Today few are leaping to his defence.

I think there has always been the issue that power corrupts and there certainly is a case for the wanting to be a politician should exclude you from becoming one but I think one of the major problems is that our systems were created centuries ago and haven't changed much if at all in that time. 

They need a major overhaul. There needs to be much stricter rules about truth etc for a social media age and I think there should be much tougher rules governing the way politicians can behave. I also think both Britain and America are very flawed democracies as it is. 

Ironically given the whole Brexit situation I genuinely believe true and lasting change can only work if countries work together more. Raising taxes for the rich in Britain won't work if they can just move to another country that has much lower taxation. Even environmental policies only work if globally all countries buy in. Politics is very short term-ist which is one of the reasons why education suffers so much. If you put in huge education reform it'll be 15-20 years before its effects are seen and most governments are long gone by then. 

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think there has always been the issue that power corrupts and there certainly is a case for the wanting to be a politician should exclude you from becoming one but I think one of the major problems is that our systems were created centuries ago and haven't changed much if at all in that time. 

They need a major overhaul. There needs to be much stricter rules about truth etc for a social media age and I think there should be much tougher rules governing the way politicians can behave. I also think both Britain and America are very flawed democracies as it is. 

Ironically given the whole Brexit situation I genuinely believe true and lasting change can only work if countries work together more. Raising taxes for the rich in Britain won't work if they can just move to another country that has much lower taxation. Even environmental policies only work if globally all countries buy in. Politics is very short term-ist which is one of the reasons why education suffers so much. If you put in huge education reform it'll be 15-20 years before its effects are seen and most governments are long gone by then. 

Great post. :) 

All I was really saying is: it's a good idea to keep a healthy cynicism. They're politicians after all. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Great post. :) 

All I was really saying is: it's a good idea to keep a healthy cynicism. They're politicians after all. 

Yes I have more than a healthy dose of cynicism. One of the biggest problems with democracy in a social media age is politicians trying to be populist. Doing what is popular rather than what is right, especially given the control that the media has on the people. They now deal in soundbites, they don't try to educate, they don't try to lead they just appeal to the lowest common denominator. I want politicians who stand up for immigration and talk about how valuable it is to the economy as well as to our culture etc.

What we need is much closer global ties to fight the bigger ills like the widening gap between the rich and the poor and environmental policies but they are all too concerned with competing against each other. As I've always said if the world was a much more even playing field nobody would be leaving India or Pakistan to live in Bradford. Also, in today's world people don't even need to come over here to steal your jobs, outsourcing is a huge deal and always will be when you can pay a senior analyst in Russia £12k and the same role over here would be £40k + I can understand the economic reasons for it even if I morally disagree with it. 

The answer has to equality of standards of living globally and while countries compete to make themselves more competitive to large companies then we'll continue living in a corpocracy and while politicians continue worrying about who can take credit for an idea or whether something will make them look good for a week rather than a century we'll continue to have poor government. 

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

realistic hopes and expectations are fine. Worship is taking things too far.

I just have zilcho time for snide denigration. You know me at this stage.

There is always a space for admiration and affinity. They can coexist with an acceptance of limitations.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Nudenut said:

Confirmed as not attending, phew, maybe she read this thread as I did and realised GF will likely be a better place without political intervention ? peace out x

**SOMEBODYS TALKING RUBBISH KLAXON**

**SOMEBODYS TALKING RUBBISH KLAXON**

”Glastonbury without political intervention”. Hahaha.

I remember attending the Leftfield tent in 2014 during an open debate and somebody’s contribution from the crowd was that there should surely be some representation from the right otherwise what’s the point? 

Billy Bragg was clearly irritated by the audacity of this young man’s suggestion and quickly fired back “IT’S CALLED LEFTFIELD, MATE. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?!”

Billy was right of course, but the hostility in his voice was quite affronting. Maybe Leftfield would do well to remember that plenty of attendees at Glasto don’t do politics at all, or - heaven forbid - might not be terribly left. It could do worse than accommodate such people, even in s kind of introductory way. 

I passed by another time and Billy was leading the full version of Red Flag. Nobody knew the words and plenty of people were leaving with ‘WTF is this?’ expressions on their faces. It felt like a Labour Party conference. 

Sorry, I’m not sure what my point is really. But this thread evoked those memories. I guess I’d say: Glastonbury is and always has been political, and it is and always has been left. But it it doesn’t feel invitingly so. The demonisation of Tories, rather than engaging with their politics,  helps keep who don’t vote Labour from voting Labour. We need to keep the left an open house, I suppose. 

Ugh. Fuck it. Post. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I remember attending the Leftfield tent in 2014 during an open debate and somebody’s contribution from the crowd was that there should surely be some representation from the right otherwise what’s the point? 

Billy Bragg was clearly irritated by the audacity of this young man’s suggestion and quickly fired back “IT’S CALLED LEFTFIELD, MATE. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?!”

Billy was right of course, but the hostility in his voice was quite affronting. Maybe Leftfield would do well to remember that plenty of attendees at Glasto don’t do politics at all, or - heaven forbid - might not be terribly left. It could do worse than accommodate such people, even in s kind of introductory way. 

I passed by another time and Billy was leading the full version of Red Flag. Nobody knew the words and plenty of people were leaving with ‘WTF is this?’ expressions on their faces. It felt like a Labour Party conference. 

Sorry, I’m not sure what my point is really. But this thread evoked those memories. I guess I’d say: Glastonbury is and always has been political, and it is and always has been left. But it it doesn’t feel invitingly so. The demonisation of Tories, rather than engaging with their politics,  helps keep who don’t vote Labour from voting Labour. We need to keep the left an open house, I suppose. 

Ugh. Fuck it. Post. 

I'll make your point for you... Demonization of the right got Trump elected here, don't make the same mistake over there.

• Upvote 1

Story the world over innit.  The ability to have rational debate and conversation about opposing views is out of the window for the most part. Not just here or any other web platform, although I do think that the anonymity allowed by social media (and yep, well aware my photo is a fictional character from outer space! :lol:) has fuelled its increase.

It's a generalisation, but the majority of people don't want to have their mind opened to the possibility that their view might be wrong, and arrive at a conclusion through debate and exchange of information. And that's true across the social and political spectrum.  Ironically, given that the internet has made information massively available, we seem to be discouraged from actively using that availability and instead just retreating into the cocoon of populism and echo chambers where people tell you what you want to hear.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, herzzreh said:

I'll make your point for you... Demonization of the right got Trump elected here, don't make the same mistake over there.

We've already elected Trump equivalents here, thanks, and they're burning the place down. 

But I notice this sort of meaningless civility politics and consensus-seeking only ever goes one way.  It's always the left that has to try understand the centre right and appease the hard right, never the other way around.  The left always have to be the hand-holders and the right are the actual fucking snowflakes.

If someone wants to vote for an abject grifter simpleton who locks children up in cages and panders to their every xenophobic instinct I suspect that they weren't persuaded into it just because someone said a mean thing about Nazis on Twitter.

• Upvote 5