The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

32 minutes ago, incident said:

My working theory is that it's probably either going on the land formerly occupied by Cosy Camper, or just across the concrete road in the Campsites.

Those locations would put it on the easiest possible route for deliveries etc via Red Gate, and would also have a high percentage of people arriving by coach walking past it on the way in, without being too much competition for the main markets.

is cosy camper not going to be there this year?

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Well theres only one now? The place in Williams Green?

From memory, thought there was 2 very close to each other at Williams Green, and at least one other in the main markets (near LeftField). But I could be out on that, and conflating different years.

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Doesn't the new plastic ban forbid the selling of such things? 

It bans single use plastic bottles which is fair enough. I just wondered if I’d be able to get a bottle of Vimto. Or cans/cartons of stuff that can be used as a mixer. I’m all for the plastic ban, just trying to think of a workaround.

Gonna try some flavoured vodkas/gins over the next few weeks, see how they go with water. That would be preferable.

Edited by MEGABOWL

56 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Well theres only one now? The place in Williams Green?

I get the feeling that place might not be there. We’ve bought an airbed from there last few festivals, but i think we’re going play safe and bring one with us instead.

Just now, Mardy said:

I get the feeling that place might not be there. We’ve bought an airbed from there last few festivals, but i think we’re going play safe and bring one with us instead.

Hmmm yeah was it gone last year then? I can't remember. I remember buying emergency bogroll from it but not sure if it was in the last couple of years.

88b605cd5bf30d36e90d0551850e2494.jpg

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Hmmm yeah was it gone last year then? I can't remember. I remember buying emergency bogroll from it but not sure if it was in the last couple of years.

It was there last time, just not sure about this year. Reckon the festival see it as an easy way to clamp down on rubbish and stuff left behind. Could easily see them saying, for example, ‘no folding chairs on sale’ to the traders.

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

It was there last time, just not sure about this year. Reckon the festival see it as an easy way to clamp down on rubbish and stuff left behind. Could easily see them saying, for example, ‘no folding chairs on sale’ to the traders.

That would be hilarious. Imagine the uproar?

Surely they'd have to give people a heads up in that case? We knew when Joe Bananas was going, same for Millets. 

39 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Oh that would be glorious.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I've taken the same folding chair to about 20 festivals. Can't fathom why people leave them behind, they're quite sturdy.

We've got a couple sat in situ at home at the moment, holding the place until we can afford to put a couch there.

This. We did exactly the same thing in our place before we got a sofa! They last ages.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just wondering if there was now a more significant illegal trade in alcohol up in your neck of the woods? Surely there must be loads of vans heading over the border, loading up with cheaper booze, and heading back across the border to sell the stuff at below Scottish market price? If not, do you think that it's the policing powers (or potential fines) that are curtailing this activity?

I live in Carlisle and there has been some talk of this - we have a Tesco and an Asda near motorway junctions which are ideal for this sort of thing.  Asda is closer to the border and has always targeted the Scottish market (it's the nearest big supermarket for a lot of places over the border), they stock Scottish brands and items and are reportedly the biggest seller of Irn Bru outside of Scotland.  Reportedly they are now getting even more shoppers from over the border with some talk of white vans getting filled up but anecdotally it's people stocking up or buying for an event rather than doing it to resell below the minimum price, as the difference isn't (yet) enough to make it worthwhile.

43 minutes ago, WFD said:

I live in Carlisle and there has been some talk of this - we have a Tesco and an Asda near motorway junctions which are ideal for this sort of thing.  Asda is closer to the border and has always targeted the Scottish market (it's the nearest big supermarket for a lot of places over the border), they stock Scottish brands and items and are reportedly the biggest seller of Irn Bru outside of Scotland.  Reportedly they are now getting even more shoppers from over the border with some talk of white vans getting filled up but anecdotally it's people stocking up or buying for an event rather than doing it to resell below the minimum price, as the difference isn't (yet) enough to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for that information WFD. I hadn't realised that the difference in resale price wasn't yet enough to make it worthwhile. It seems a mad situation to me in any case, as it really only affects the poorer members of society. Yes, they may (or may not) be the heavier drinkers, but what you going to do when you've got fuck all in your life. Being a bit of a drinker, I'd be incandescent with rage if I were a Scottish drinker. 

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for that information WFD. I hadn't realised that the difference in resale price wasn't yet enough to make it worthwhile. It seems a mad situation to me in any case, as it really only affects the poorer members of society. Yes, they may (or may not) be the heavier drinkers, but what you going to do when you've got fuck all in your life. Being a bit of a drinker, I'd be incandescent with rage if I were a Scottish drinker. 

I guess it's enough to make it worthwhile if you're passing through and picking up a few crates to move on to friends and family but I haven't heard any evidence of anything on a bigger scale (friends of friends work in said supermarkets).  We did joke about this locally when the minimum pricing was announced, that it would be like Calais with warehouses springing up just inside the border, but it hasn't happened (yet!).

On 4/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, The Nal said:

The lock ups give loo roll away so you don't need to buy any. And yes I've read that they're reducing camping stuff on sale to avoid things being left. I guess they think if you can carry it on site you're more likely to carry it off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Details of the Co-op at IoW, might indicate what we'll get:

"The Co-op is coming to the Isle of Wight Festival and we’ll be bringing a whole load of festival essentials, right to the heart of the campsite. So you can forget stuffing your backpack and instead grab whatever you need when you arrive.

For your convenience, the store will be open daily until 3am with our resident in-store DJ also returning so you can rock while you shop.

You’ll find all your festival requirements, from sandwiches, snacks, fruit, bacon and bread to water, beer, wine and toiletries.  And whatever the weather we’ve got you covered, from sun cream to rain ponchos.

You can even pay with a tap using a wide variety of contactless payments including Barclaycard and bPay.

We are also bringing reverse vending machines where you can recycle your empty plastic bottles in return for a voucher to use in the festival store or make a donation to the Co-op Foundation.  And best of all the bottles you return, will be recycled and find a new life as Co-op water bottles."

https://isleofwightfestival.com/news/2019/co-op-is-joining-the-isle-of-wight-festival-line-up?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Details of the Co-op at IoW, might indicate what we'll get:

"The Co-op is coming to the Isle of Wight Festival and we’ll be bringing a whole load of festival essentials, right to the heart of the campsite. So you can forget stuffing your backpack and instead grab whatever you need when you arrive.

For your convenience, the store will be open daily until 3am with our resident in-store DJ also returning so you can rock while you shop.

You’ll find all your festival requirements, from sandwiches, snacks, fruit, bacon and bread to water, beer, wine and toiletries.  And whatever the weather we’ve got you covered, from sun cream to rain ponchos.

You can even pay with a tap using a wide variety of contactless payments including Barclaycard and bPay.

We are also bringing reverse vending machines where you can recycle your empty plastic bottles in return for a voucher to use in the festival store or make a donation to the Co-op Foundation.  And best of all the bottles you return, will be recycled and find a new life as Co-op water bottles."

https://isleofwightfestival.com/news/2019/co-op-is-joining-the-isle-of-wight-festival-line-up?

Great news for coach goers if this is replicated at Glastonbury

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Still think there's a good chance there won't be alcohol at Glastonbury Co-op. All these other festivals it's outside the arena and you can't take it in.

Do you think that bar prices would increase or decrease if the co-op sold alcohol?

I'm in two minds, it either makes the bars drop prices in order for people to use them rather than the co-op or they increase due to expected fall in demand.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Do you think that bar prices would increase or decrease if the co-op sold alcohol?

I'm in two minds, it either makes the bars drop prices in order for people to use them rather than the co-op or they increase due to expected fall in demand.

I dont think to will make much difference ... it will cater for a different market ...those who carry the alcohol on to site  ... the only impact might be on the local supermarkets which people leave the site to get to to stock up