The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I'm fairly sure there will be something in the bar contracts that guarantee a certain degree of exclusivity. Otherwise you would have had stalls selling cans before now. There's a reason it hasn't happened and it's not because people don't think it would be profitable. @glasto-worker might have some insight?

Those other festivals are different because bars are given exclusivity within the arena. It's be a while since I've been to one by my memory is there aren't actually bars within the campsites at Latitude, etc.

I can only deal with the WBC - as far as I am aware GFL has already exchanged contracts with BWTUC { the owners of WBC } and that is for the next 10 events { this is a record as previous contracts ran for 7 Years } and I was told the deal was finalised 11 March 2019 

As you can imagine this involves a lot of money and they have certain restrictions in place so I would be astounded if there was some shop selling beer as that would impact on all the Bars.

I know that people complain about the cost of draft beer but the Production cost are enormous and I know there is many Years the WBC have made a trading loss.

In 2010 there was some football match being showing and the WBC set up a ' pop up can bar '  although they were not rushed off their feet.

it will all come out in the wash.

Re Latitude there was a Bar outside the arena - I worked in it for a day or two.

2010-wbc-37.thumb.jpg.09ac0eb6ef44ed819221c6a20eb3598a.jpg2010-wbc-39.thumb.jpg.a3e1cbddb1ddeb05b3bd85e6413e100f.jpg2010-wbc-40.thumb.jpg.df81d81608544d6be5e8bb226ccdedee.jpg

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yes I would agree ... maybe backing on to the festival bus station ? next to gate A ? 

Unless they are going to have a load of shipping containers with cooling but that would need a lot of power on site, I would expect a couple of shipping containers for day stock and the rest of the stock held off site where mains cooling and storage would be easier

Just now, dotdash79 said:

Unless they are going to have a load of shipping containers with cooling but that would need a lot of power on site, I would expect a couple of shipping containers for day stock and the rest of the stock held off site where mains cooling and storage would be easier

they can quite happily deliver in chilled wagons ... thats why my thoughts were it would go near the bus station ... plenty of room to take deliveries ... backing onto the fence and once the initial arrivals are over I would imagine quietish with access to the road for resupply from their depot 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

they can quite happily deliver in chilled wagons ... thats why my thoughts were it would go near the bus station ... plenty of room to take deliveries ... backing onto the fence and once the initial arrivals are over I would imagine quietish with access to the road for resupply from their depot 

Sorry my thought was if they were going to put the shop in the middle of the site they would need loads of storage on site, having it on the edge near access roads makes it a lot easier.

But hey what do I know?

• More

Do you need someone to design a Glastonbury specific uniform ?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
  •  
    MDOjvMSk_bigger.jpg Mar 21
    More

Not this time, but thanks. ^Jordan

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  •  

can you just clarify if you will be selling alcohol ... thanks :)

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity
MDOjvMSk_bigger.jpgCo-op Colleagues @coopukcolleague
FollowFollow @coopukcolleague
More
Replying to @Crazyfool110

Confirmation of what we're selling will be announced closer to each festival, but we did sell it last year so I imagine it might also be there this year :) ^Cat

On 3/21/2019 at 5:46 PM, incident said:

Most festivals have restrictions for exactly that reason. Glastonbury is one of the only ones that doesn't, but having a store selling cans at something approximating supermarket prices on site is another level entirely as you effectively take away the negatives - namely the logistics of transporting and storing the damn things.

I'm not completely sold on your view here.  I take a couple or three cans out with me in the morning, and once they are drunk, switch to the bars.  Unless I am passing the co-op, I'm not going to trudge all the way over there just to save a few quid on my next couple of beers.  I know that other people might be more budget focused, but these are likely the ones who would have bought a crate in from the supermarket, and head back to their tent to restock at some point in the day.  

It will have an impact, but I don't think it'll be massive - people will still want a pint of something cold, or tasty, or convenient.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I don't think I'm comfortable with this supermarket stuff at festivals, great for ease of use but where's it going to stop. I'm surprised that GF are accommodating this, albeit the oh so fair Co-op but where's it stop?

Probably at the co-op. If they were going to do lots of other things and have massive sponsors like the other festivals they would of done that by now.

3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I don't think I'm comfortable with this supermarket stuff at festivals, great for ease of use but where's it going to stop. I'm surprised that GF are accommodating this, albeit the oh so fair Co-op but where's it stop?

I think there's a deal wherein the Pilton residents get a new supermarket after theirs closed in return for Co-op having a pop up in the festival.

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I don't see how there are any fears of a slippery slope tbh, there's no indication that this opens the door to corporatism. EE, Tuborg, The Guardian and BBC have had a much bigger presence for many years, surely they're more of a cause for concern.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Emily did say that they have had many commercial deals offered to them but declined them ...this one surprised me but at least it gives pilton residents a new village shop 

Agreed - great for Pilton to be getting a shop again. I worry a bit about the 'independent' traders that could be affected.. but I must admit I have avoided the 'Skins/Pipes/Groceries' type stalls for years given the outrageous prices. I'm not saying they don't need to charge over the odds- I'm just not keen on paying it. So if I go to the Co-Op pop-up shop I probably won't be spending money I would have spent elsewhere. Maybe I might buy more sweets and crisps...What it might do (gradually over the years) is reduce the need for so many people to slog in with great carts of booze. Assuming the prices will be a bit closer to normal prices it could really help cut out a lot of hassle. Main issue is trusting they will have what we want and not run out. For some it could be gutting if there's no slabs of Stella left. I love that they have a store DJ :goodjob:

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Agreed - great for Pilton to be getting a shop again. I worry a bit about the 'independent' traders that could be affected.. but I must admit I have avoided the 'Skins/Pipes/Groceries' type stalls for years given the outrageous prices. I'm not saying they don't need to charge over the odds- I'm just not keen on paying it. So if I go to the Co-Op pop-up shop I probably won't be spending money I would have spent elsewhere. Maybe I might buy more sweets and crisps...What it might do (gradually over the years) is reduce the need for so many people to slog in with great carts of booze. Assuming the prices will be a bit closer to normal prices it could really help cut out a lot of hassle. Main issue is trusting they will have what we want and not run out. For some it could be gutting if there's no slabs of Stella left. I love that they have a store DJ :goodjob:

maybe it might mean people buying what they need too rather than carting large amounts of stuff in and leaving some of it behind because they have decided not to use it .. so less waste hopefully 

• Like 1

Yes I can imagine some customers being quite 'entertaining'.. blokes accidentally buying sanitary towels when monged out on ket at 2am trying to pay with smarties or somesuch.

Edited by Boris

20 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't see how there are any fears of a slippery slope tbh, there's no indication that this opens the door to corporatism. EE, Tuborg, The Guardian and BBC have had a much bigger presence for many years, surely they're more of a cause for concern.

And if you compare it to even 10 years ago, there's a lot less of them now - in 2009 we had stages sponsored by Q and by Sony which is almost unimaginable now.

I've mentioned previously, possibly in this thread - The co-op have had a presence at Glastonbury before albeit much smaller / lower key than this will be. To be exact, they were part of the old Left Field promoting and selling Fair Trade goods like chocolate and tea/coffee.