2020 headliners

jj200

There is always one massive cult following band on the pyramid every year taking a major slot. I think the National being active they would fit this.

Yes they would get a tiny crowd and it would be seen as a wee break for some — but glasto has done it before.

The National do well in their own lane but anyone I’ve ever mentioned them to is like “who?”. Hasn’t stopped glasto booking bands like that before though. 

We all may have hated their last set but maybe they loved it and that’s why they want to come back.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There is always one massive cult following band on the pyramid every year taking a major slot. I think the National being active they would fit this.

Yes they would get a tiny crowd and it would be seen as a wee break for some — but glasto has done it before.

The National do well in their own lane but anyone I’ve ever mentioned them to is like “who?”. Hasn’t stopped glasto booking bands like that before though. 

We all may have hated their last set but maybe they loved it and that’s why they want to come back.

Not the same band in the same slot in such a short space of time though

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Those ‘big cult following’ subs aren’t often/ever repeated so soon though, and The National definitely aren’t a Glastonbury favourite enough for it to be worth taking a punt again. They’ve subbed. They kind of blew it. I doubt the festival is in a rush to book them for that same position again. 100% isn’t gonna be them.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What odds would you be willing to offer that the National are subbing the pyramid and how much money would you let me place on this not being the case?

Re The National: I think if this were like a pop star (George Ezra or something) who was sub size, and had played 3 years ago, and had those tour dates, people would be more inclined to expect it to be happening.

FWIW I don't think The National will be back subbing the Pyramid or headlining the Other.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

They are, but doing gigs on the Friday in France and Saturday in Luxembourg suggests to me that they're not playing and have taken other offers.

Yeah very possible, but can't be ruled out completely at this point.

Just now, mcshed said:

Nick Cave in 2009 and 2013?

Got a lot of history with the festival and is a homegrown act who gets it. To The National I’m sure it’s just another festival, and to Glastonbury I’m sure The National are just another band they’ve booked a couple of times. Likewise why I could see Foals getting the gig again, but not The National.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We're all in Australia now etc etc?

I’m an idiot. Well... the rest still stands, and he’s obviously a fan of the place.

edit: also Cave nails his sub slots whereas The National flubbed theirs so less desire for their return. 

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m an idiot. Well... the rest still stands, and he’s obviously a fan of the place.

To be fair he does have a strong connection with the UK. If it's any consolation I didn't read your comment and think "wtf is he on about"?