2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, Matt42 said:

I wasn’t talking about her team I was talking about those close to her.

Ed Sheeran, Stella McCartney, Katy Perry, Lorde, and numerous others will have a real influence.

Yeah, possibly, although I don't really see external people - even that lot - being quick to offer Taylor Swift career advice. It's not like she's been doing badly with the way she's gone so far.

From the little I know about her I reckon she's probably already aware what Glastonbury could offer her. What I've no idea about is how she might weigh up the downside of a significantly smaller fee.

But in the mix as well (even if including your list of names) is going to be her normal management team - whose advice she's going to listen to even if she doesn't follow it. I was simply pointing out that circumstances work against a Glastonbury recommendation from this group.

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

I know you weren't saying it absolutely should happen, I was responding to the idea that it could. And I'm of course not arguing that women shouldn't get prominent positions, I'm saying that if they do, it shouldn't be turned into a virtue-signalling gimmick. If they clearly opted for 3 women as headliners this year and made a big song and dance about how it was about promoting women in music, it would clearly diminish the achievements of Taylor Swift (or any other) of getting there. Everything should be done to remove any barriers for women in music to ensure equality of opportunity - then great women rise to the top as many have done already. There is absolutely no need, and it's actually a backwards step, to push female acts into those positions in such a gimmicky way - that would be hugely patronising to women and sexist towards men pushing for those spots too. 

The thing is it wouldn't be seen like that, yes you'd get endless exhausting nonsense on here, on reddit, on social media but for most people don't care about that, all that would happen is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday millions of people would see women headlining the best festival in the world and inumerable girls watching at home would think "That's what I want to do."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The thing is it wouldn't be seen like that, yes you'd get endless exhausting nonsense on here, on reddit, on social media but for most people don't care about that, all that would happen is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday millions of people would see women headlining the best festival in the world and inumerable girls watching at home would think "That's what I want to do."

It's largely semantics though.  If they book Swizzle, Fleetwood Mac and Gaga next year it's clearly a great set of headliners regardless of whether or not it's by design.

That said I'm generally against affirmative action in this instance . Promoting the likes of Foals or Biffy Clyro to headliners just because they've been around for ages and 'deserve' it is the worst sort of positive discrimination.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's largely semantics though.  If they book Swizzle, Fleetwood Mac and Gaga next year it's clearly a great set of headliners regardless of whether or not it's by design.

That said I'm generally against affirmative action in this instance . Promoting the likes of Foals or Biffy Clyro to headliners just because they've been around for ages and 'deserve' it is the worst sort of positive discrimination.

I think we can all agree that letting Foals do it because it's their turn is worse than letting the Lounge Kittens do it just because they are women.

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Green Day have London stadium glasto weekend unless they do back to back gigs for different artists?

also she’s explicitly said she’s not doing stadiums.

Apart from the four stadium dates she’s doing in the US (and yes, I know they’re ‘Lover Fest’ shows, but she could do that here)?

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

It was for old farts.  I was 31 that year and probably something like my 8th festival.  It was Springsteen, Young, Blur, Status Quo, Tom Jones, Spinal Tap and Rolf Fucking Harris.  If that's what got you excited as an 18 year old then that's just fucking weird.

2009 struck me as an attempt to play it safe after the struggles in 08 to shift tickets with a younger and edgier lineup (let us never forgot that Friday Pyramid lineup).

The festival doesn’t really have that problem anymore.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

2009 had plenty of pop/radio friendly music on the lineup though?

Lily Allen, Dixie Rascal, Tom Jones, Lady Gaga, The Script, Black Eyed Peas all played for Christ sake!

Top three each day on the Pyramid:

Neil Young > The Specials > Lilly Allen

Springsteen > Kasabian > Crosby, Stills & Nash

Blur > Nick Cave > Madness (then Tom Jones)

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

2009 struck me as an attempt to play it safe after the struggles in 08 to shift tickets with a younger and edgier lineup (let us never forgot that Friday Pyramid lineup).

The festival doesn’t really have that problem anymore.

Yeah I had no issue with the line up per se, the usual arguments of there being plenty else to see and do were particularly appropriate for me that year.

It just seemed a weird example to be used.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Always possible but I really cannot see a world where someone like Taylor Swift, who is a close friend of a fair number of Glastonbury attendees would chose IOW over Glasto. Someone would step in and advise her that it’s a wrong move.

She’s clearly gone to UK friends of hers and asked for advice. She owns property in the UK now and spends a lot of time here. She’s clearly seen Glasto and thought “I want to do that”.

An awful lot of assumptions, there.

As much as I enjoy much of her music and would love to see her headline Glastonbury, it would be naive to think she doesn't tour for money, and isn't surrounded by people whose primary motivation is financial. There will be more to it than that - creative expression, connecting with fans, etc., but touring is where the big money is in music these days. It's why they all do it, and the ticket fee structure is testament to that.

Her last, huge, worldwide tour (grossing over a third of a BILLION dollars) only finished late last year. They'll all be too busy counting their stacks to consider putting on another production so soon. She's probably plumped for a festival tour because it's the easiest way to make more money without huge effort and expenditure.