2020 headliners

jj200

Not sure how anyone can question Taylor’s suitably. She’s one of the biggest stars in the world, a fantastic songwriter, and she’s achieved it all herself through hard work. She’s a world away from the Spice Girls or One Direction.

Listen to Red if you’re not sure - an absolutely brilliant pop album.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, duke88 said:

Not sure how anyone can question Taylor’s suitably. She’s one of the biggest stars in the world, a fantastic songwriter, and she’s achieved it all herself through hard work. She’s a world away from the Spice Girls or One Direction.

Listen to Red if you’re not sure - an absolutely brilliant pop album.

Have you not read this forum before? You could put any efests regular alone in a room with a record collection, come back in 10 minutes and they'd be arguing with themselves.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry this all based off a little gripe of mine that no matter what a female pop star achieves there is always a debate to whether she’s big enough to headline and how her audience isn’t “really” there for her.

For example, Taylor has played numerous Wembley gigs and sold more records than some artists have in their entire careers - but “she could still sub, or... I don’t really vision her as a headliner, maybe best on the other stage”.

Its thinly veiled sexism. Women can achieve more but still not be considered enough.

Nah, I'd be ecstatic with Wolf Alice, First Aid Kit, Rihanna, Pale Waves and many more. I just think Taylor is toss. Happy for those who like her bobbins recent output but I'll be elsewhere. Over three quarters of the acts I saw this year were female fronted/solo, so it's not just sexism. A lot of people think Taylor is shite including my missus and closest female buddy.

Edited by Superscally

4 hours ago, jparx said:

Report back with your findings!

If you can be bothered reading it!

Im coming at this as someone who had only heard 1 song on this album before. I know the square root of nowt about Taylor Swift.... but Im open to giving anyone a listen.

Overall - Better than I expected. Some high points, a few low points. A few dull points.

State of Grace - Not what I expected. Sounds a bit like old U2 to me. I mean that in a good way. I like this.

Red - A bit of a country vibe on this. It isnt something I'd rush to listen to, but I quite like it.

Treacherous - nothing particularly memorable, but its alright.

Knew you'd be trouble - I have heard this. I like the chorus. Packs a punch. Catchy. Decent pop song.... Bordering on a banger.

All too well - The high point on the album. I really like this. So far, so good. In fact, I am enjoying it a lot more than expected....

22 - A massive shame. Naff. Annoying & even more so after the previous 2 tunes, which I like.

I almost do - Filler. Country pop ballad. Not my cup of tea.

Not getting back together - Catchy, but a bit more on the annoying side of catchy compared to "Knew you'd be trouble". I dont hate it though. I'd enjoy it seeing this live.

Stay Stay Stay - She has a trait of repeating words on this album... I cant say I like it. Its a bit too twee for me.

The Last Time - Not into this at all. I had got into the album & Im starting to lose it a bit, which is a shame.

Holy Ground - A bit better. A bit too twee again, but I see the appeal. I suspect this is fun live.

Sad Beautiful Tragic - Melancholic. It's different to the rest & I like the fact its there, even though it isnt my cup of tea.

The Lucky One - I like this. The best tune for a while, by a stretch. Im into this one. Much better.

Everything has changed - Sheeran can fuck off. I have a complete aversion to him. Nil points.

Starlight - Decent enough pop song. I dont mind it. Can't say I'd be rushing to hear it again, but I wouldn't turn it off.

Begin Again - Country vibe again. It's alright. Not very memorable, but decent enough.

Overall it was better than I expected initially, but after the strong start, I expected to enjoy it even more 5 songs in.
Has this made me think "I have to see her"? No. But it's made me want to check out a few live videos to see how it translates live.

• Upvote 1

Baffled by the frequent shouts of Red being the album to listen to if you want to be turned around on Taylor when it's only like her 5th best album.

Whoever it was in here who compared her to Springsteen was definitely on the right track, never thought about that before but ye she fits that archetype pretty well, much more comfortably than she fits in with Gaga or Madonna or Katy Perry or whoever else we're comparing her to.

• Downvote 1

I can’t wait for all the “I think she’s shite but I was passing through, having a stroll, getting chips, going to the bar, sat down having some dinner, got lost, thought I’d give it a go... and she smashed it” posts.

Or “my mrs/mr/(or whatever) dragged me along against my will and I had a really good time!”