2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah you’ve got a point. But it does seem like this tour has one big requirement “festivals”.

If she was like - I want to play a festival in Scotland, she’d probably ring up Ed and be like which one is good?

They’re not all festivals. But I’d think similarly to Gonzo in that she could do Glasgow Green without the TRNSMT banner.

13 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It'd be a big bold progressive talking point that would put focus on opertunities for women in the music industry. I'm not saying she should but I can see the appeal in doing so.

If they punted someone up there who wasn’t nearly big enough then it would make two strong, normal bookings look like a gimmick and cause an unnecessary ripple. I’m not sure there have ever been two female fronted acts in the same year so can’t we just celebrate that rather than deciding it’s not progressive enough?

28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Fully expecting a ripping from the Taylor Die Hards. Maybe I just find "fake", the tunes I don't like & maybe I was a bit unfair?

Nah you're probs not being unfair tbh. Ever since the beginning of her career she's had a. songs that pack punches and b. songs that are just plain silly. That's her style. Sometimes the two merge together and create huge hits. A lot of people will find a lot of her back catalogue too twee, too cringe etc but that's just the unapologetic way she rolls.

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I think Glastonbury although wanting diverse headliners will just book the best that is on a touring cycle and available.

If no female headliners were about but REM, Led Zep and Paul Mcartney were possible it wouldn't matter that none were female.

I can't see them ever going out the way to only get a whole set of female headliners In that way

I understand if Macca is wanting to do it they aren't going to say sorry pal but we where thinking of letting Florence have a proper headline slot for diversity reasons. I just wanted to play a fun game of pick the best 3rd female headliner for a couple of pages to distract from popier Vs proper music and which of the 1975 and Foals would be the smallest disappointment.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Nah you're probs not being unfair tbh. Ever since the beginning of her career she's had a. songs that pack punches and b. songs that are just plain silly. That's her style. Sometimes the two merge together and create huge hits. A lot of people will find a lot of her back catalogue too twee, too cringe etc but that's just the unapologetic way she rolls.

What I love is that she can do silly and serious really well.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If they punted someone up there who wasn’t nearly big enough then it would make two strong, normal bookings look like a gimmick and cause an unnecessary ripple. I’m not sure there have ever been two female fronted acts in the same year so can’t we just celebrate that rather than deciding it’s not progressive enough?

Of course, I was talking hypothetically. I'm not even that convinced we'll get 2 and have no problem with celebrating 1 female headliner. But if they are sitting on 2 I can imagine the temptation to go for a 3rd with the usual availability and limited pool of options making that a hard thing to do.

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It'd be a big bold progressive talking point that would put focus on opertunities for women in the music industry. I'm not saying she should but I can see the appeal in doing so.

It depends if it happens organically or a point is being made of it and it's been done intentionally. If it's the latter, that's not progressive, it's actually regressive. It would be a talking point for all the wrong reasons. Instead of talking about the quality of the acts it would look like they're headlining *because* they're women, taking away from the achievement of them getting there. It would be fighting perceived (possible, if you like) sexism with actual sexism (by ignoring headliners that aren't women). Glastonbury headliners should always be based on merit - nobody said when Beyonce and Adele got the slots that it's because they're women, their gender was absolutely irrelevant as it is for everyone. Let's not start now.

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yup. The only time she can actually play a UK date is Glasto Sunday and during Trsmt weekend. As we know artists can and do play both.

Unless she’s genuinely scheduled two events during these festivals... which are her own festivals? It would suck if that happened.

That’s actually not what I said. But if you’re incapable of seeing my point I’m not going to put much energy into it.

i’m just going to reply to Swift haters with a Swift gif from now on. This is the new version of michael’s “it’s happening”

8792B4CF-30F7-419E-9904-F45D86C06FA4.gif

Well you inferred it didnt you? To say otherwise is to be a weasel. Are you a weasel? 

You said her tracks are less commercial and that she’s less interested in money. A quick listen to the music suggests otherwise and a Quick Google shows that she is based in Tennessee for tax despite living anywhere but.

I just don’t see the difference between these pop acts. You prefer one to the other, thats it, thats the difference.

The hypocrisy is, seeing or hearing about glasto and deciding to go based on the old lineups and then insisting that its the festival that needs to change to accommodate your tastes, and decrying anybody who thinks glasto should ditch the crap pop as some stiff old timer (28 incidentally), but then it can’t change more to accommodate 1d fans or Bieber fans.

I saw someone in this thread saying they saw the 2009 lineup and thought glasto was for old farts. I was 18 when i saw that on the tv and it was the lineup that persuaded me that I had to go, it was incredible. I mean, if you saw that then and thought that, then why go in the first place? 

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

You said her tracks are less commercial and that she’s less interested in money. A quick listen to the music suggests otherwise and a Quick Google shows that she is based in Tennessee for tax despite living anywhere but.

Fire at us some of your favourite non-profit organisation charity bands. We're all dying to know.

6 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

To say otherwise is to be a weasel. Are you a weasel? 

she is based in Tennessee for tax despite living anywhere but.

insisting that its the festival that needs to change to accommodate your tastes, and decrying anybody who thinks glasto should ditch the crap pop but then it can’t change more to accommodate 1d fans or Bieber fans.

I saw someone in this thread saying they saw the 2009 lineup and thought glasto was for old farts. I was 18 when i saw that on the tv and it was the lineup that persuaded me that I had to go, it was incredible. I mean, if you saw that then and thought that, then why go in the first place? 

Funnily enough I can enjoy Taylor Swift, Radiohead, Tool, Blur, Neil Young, Katy Perry all together.

I don’t see music as divided genres I see it as music. It sounds to me like you’re the one resistant to try anything different.

Proud weasel

4A4A95CE-FFF3-4208-A9B9-B9BAA42F1C5C.gif

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yup. The only time she can actually play a UK date is Glasto Sunday and during Trsmt weekend. As we know artists can and do play both.

Unless she’s genuinely scheduled two events during these festivals... which are her own festivals? It would suck if that happened.

That’s actually not what I said. But if you’re incapable of seeing my point I’m not going to put much energy into it.

i’m just going to reply to Swift haters with a Swift gif from now on. This is the new version of michael’s “it’s happening”

I guess you can't rule out Wembley gigs...

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

19 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I understand if Macca is wanting to do it they aren't going to say sorry pal but we where thinking of letting Florence have a proper headline slot for diversity reasons. I just wanted to play a fun game of pick the best 3rd female headliner for a couple of pages to distract from popier Vs proper music and which of the 1975 and Foals would be the smallest disappointment.

Games are regressive and misandrist actually, sorry but I don't make the rules

Just now, Superscally said:

She’s explicitly said she’s not doing stadiums.

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

There are only two good genres of music: liquid jungle and Irish rebel songs.

I worded my point really bad but what I meant to say is that people are capable of having a wide spread of musical tastes. 

I like when Glastonbury books legendary rock bands, legendary pop artists, legendary hip hop artists, legendary dance music.

which... I’m just checking, it did in 2009 and always has done :) 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

She’s explicitly said she’s not doing stadiums.

I worded my point really bad but what I meant to say is that people are capable of having a wide spread of musical tastes. 

I like when Glastonbury books legendary rock bands, legendary pop artists, legendary hip hop artists, legendary dance music.

which... I’m just checking, it did in 2009 and always has done :) 

Actually I think you'll find that back in the good old days, Galstonbury was exclusively five piece prog bands singing about goblins and men with acoustic guitars doing ditties about shooting their wives.

Before The Pop Kids came and deported all the real musicians to work in their bubblegum mines.

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

Actually I think you'll find that back in the good old days, Galstonbury was exclusively five piece prog bands singing about goblins and men with acoustic guitars doing ditties about shooting their wives.

Before The Pop Kids came and deported all the real musicians to work in their bubblegum mines.

Haha back in the old days Glastonbury would NEVER book a popstar

I mean they booked David Bowie in 1971 but thats besides the point!!!’ Never any popstars before Beyoncé came and ruined EVERYTHING!

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

I would say it's a dead cert. More than any of the other headliners mentioned so far. Happy for you. 

Yeah, I think had she got something planned for then we would know, I know she's got more UK dates to add but it all probably ties in with one another how it can be announced. I also agree that TRNSMT is probably out, I can't see a festival that booked those 3 to headliners getting anywhere close to her when she could announce BST and a big Scottish show the other side of the Portugal date if wanted.

Only 5/4 on skybet now, £22.50 from a tenner

Edited by thewayiam