2020 headliners

jj200

19 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

It depends if it happens organically or a point is being made of it and it's been done intentionally. If it's the latter, that's not progressive, it's actually regressive. It would be a talking point for all the wrong reasons. Instead of talking about the quality of the acts it would look like they're headlining *because* they're women, taking away from the achievement of them getting there. It would be fighting perceived (possible, if you like) sexism with actual sexism (by ignoring headliners that aren't women). Glastonbury headliners should always be based on merit - nobody said when Beyonce and Adele got the slots that it's because they're women, their gender was absolutely irrelevant as it is for everyone. Let's not start now.

Positive discrimination in an attempt to redress a cultural or institutional imbalance isn't regressive. As I've said I wasn't saying that this absolutely should happen but I really struggle to see why it's a bad thing.

If more women get prominent positions people like me complain that it's about gender so they shouldn't get those positions, is a silly argument 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The more I look at her dates the more nailed on she looks.

The European Festival tour starts on the 20th at Werchter Boutique and the dates follow a pattern of one show, day off, one show. Because she’s doing Boutique she is ruled out of Werchter festival.

The only dates she can really squeeze a UK show is the 22nd (which is a Wednesday so I doubt any major gig would be held on a Wednesday - especially for an artist of that calibre) and the 28th (which is Glasto Sunday).

From 1st July onwards she’s booked up till the 9th July and then on the 18th July she is in Brazil.

I’ve just realised that Trnsmt is the 10th-12th July right?

The only dates she can squeeze UK shows in are Glasto Sunday and Trnsmt.

She can also do the second weekend of BST pretty easily as well, and I suspect that'd count as a festival for her definition. Or if she started the tour 6 days earlier (which doesn't seem too much of a stretch), IOW is an option.

But yeah, options are relatively limited and you'd think that Glastonbury would be top of that list in terms of everything except money.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

She can also do the second weekend of BST pretty easily as well, and I suspect that'd count as a festival for her definition. Or if she started the tour 6 days earlier (which doesn't seem too much of a stretch), IOW is an option.

But yeah, options are relatively limited and you'd think that Glastonbury would be top of that list in terms of everything except money.

I dunno why people think TRNSMT can’t get her but IOW can?

Also

If she was doing BST why wouldn’t it be announced already? What possible reason would she have for holding it back? Even if she’s waiting for support acts to be confirmed (or whatever) it would have zero effect on ticket sales. She will be the name people would buy the ticket for.

EDIT: BST was announced with all her other tour dates last time.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, mcshed said:

Positive discrimination in an attempt to redress a cultural or institutional imbalance isn't regressive. As I've said I wasn't saying that this absolutely should happen but I really struggle to see why it's a bad thing.

If more women get prominent positions people like me complain that it's about gender so they shouldn't get those positions, is a silly argument 

I know you weren't saying it absolutely should happen, I was responding to the idea that it could. And I'm of course not arguing that women shouldn't get prominent positions, I'm saying that if they do, it shouldn't be turned into a virtue-signalling gimmick. If they clearly opted for 3 women as headliners this year and made a big song and dance about how it was about promoting women in music, it would clearly diminish the achievements of Taylor Swift (or any other) of getting there. Everything should be done to remove any barriers for women in music to ensure equality of opportunity - then great women rise to the top as many have done already. There is absolutely no need, and it's actually a backwards step, to push female acts into those positions in such a gimmicky way - that would be hugely patronising to women and sexist towards men pushing for those spots too. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I dunno why people think TRNSMT can’t get her but IOW can?

Also

If she was doing BST why wouldn’t it be announced already? What possible reason would she have for holding it back? Even if she’s waiting for support acts to be confirmed (or whatever) it would have zero effect on ticket sales. She will be the name people would buy the ticket for.

EDIT: BST was announced with all her other tour dates last time.

Because history. IOW has historically been prepared to pay out big money to get big headliners on exclusive deals. That's a large part of the reason we didn't get Fleetwood Mac a few years ago and there's still a danger it happens again here. Yes, I know they had B level headliners this year, but that doesn't mean they will next year. It might well be that they see this year as a disappointment and so go all out for 2020.

As for why/when an announcement is made? Who knows - there could be an infinite number of things that would never consider and so it's not something I'd factor in.

Reading that Instagram post too

“I want to go to some places I haven’t been and play festivals for the first time in ages”

Really does not read like BST to me, or even her own gigs. She’s already done that before. This is a festival tour.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Because history. IOW has historically been prepared to pay out big money to get big headliners on exclusive deals. That's a large part of the reason we didn't get Fleetwood Mac a few years ago and there's still a danger it happens again here. Yes, I know they had B level headliners this year, but that doesn't mean they will next year. It might well be that they see this year as a disappointment and so go all out for 2020.

As for why/when an announcement is made? Who knows - there could be an infinite number of things that would never consider and so it's not something I'd factor in.

Always possible but I really cannot see a world where someone like Taylor Swift, who is a close friend of a fair number of Glastonbury attendees would chose IOW over Glasto. Someone would step in and advise her that it’s a wrong move.

She’s clearly gone to UK friends of hers and asked for advice. She owns property in the UK now and spends a lot of time here. She’s clearly seen Glasto and thought “I want to do that”.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Always possible but I think I really cannot see a world where someone like Taylor Swift, a close friend of a fair number of Glastonbury attendees would chose IOW over Glasto. Someone would step in and advise her that it’s a wrong move.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Glastonbury is the most likely of all the possibilities (and by a decent margin), but I'm just pointing out that we can't dismiss the competition so easily.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Reading that Instagram post too

“I want to go to some places I haven’t been and play festivals for the first time in ages”

Really does not read like BST to me, or even her own gigs. She’s already done that before. This is a festival tour.

hasn't she been to Glastonbury though ? :) spotted near the cider bus ? :) 

51 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

saw someone in this thread saying they saw the 2009 lineup and thought glasto was for old farts. I was 18 when i saw that on the tv and it was the lineup that persuaded me that I had to go, it was incredible. I mean, if you saw that then and thought that, then why go in the first place?

@ me you coward

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, incident said:

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Glastonbury is the most likely of all the possibilities (and by a decent margin), but I'm just pointing out that we can't dismiss the competition so easily.

There so many factors that come into play here though. I understand you don’t wanna put all your eggs in one basket but I think the FM comparison isn’t  quite right.

it’s clear that FM are totally about money. IOW got them because they paid. They don’t give a fuck about trying to be cool or penetrate any new markets.

Taylor on one hand is a co-managing director of her and Ed’s partnership to take over the world. She helped him get big in the US, he helps her get big in the UK. 

Also Ed released a song on his new album that literally references Glastonbury. Taylor will know fully well by now exactly what Glastonbury is and what it means.

Skip to 2:15 

Edited by Matt42

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Always possible but I really cannot see a world where someone like Taylor Swift, who is a close friend of a fair number of Glastonbury attendees would chose IOW over Glasto. Someone would step in and advise her that it’s a wrong move.

the people involved in lining her up shows are unlikely to be getting a cut from any boost in record sales - so their advice is likely to follow the money that they do get a cut of (live fees).

38 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I know you weren't saying it absolutely should happen, I was responding to the idea that it could. And I'm of course not arguing that women shouldn't get prominent positions, I'm saying that if they do, it shouldn't be turned into a virtue-signalling gimmick. If they clearly opted for 3 women as headliners this year and made a big song and dance about how it was about promoting women in music, it would clearly diminish the achievements of Taylor Swift (or any other) of getting there. Everything should be done to remove any barriers for women in music to ensure equality of opportunity - then great women rise to the top as many have done already. There is absolutely no need, and it's actually a backwards step, to push female acts into those positions in such a gimmicky way - that would be hugely patronising to women and sexist towards men pushing for those spots too. 

I'd be happy if they did that purely to wind you up :P

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

I saw someone in this thread saying they saw the 2009 lineup and thought glasto was for old farts. I was 18 when i saw that on the tv and it was the lineup that persuaded me that I had to go, it was incredible. I mean, if you saw that then and thought that, then why go in the first place? 

It was for old farts.  I was 31 that year and probably something like my 8th festival.  It was Springsteen, Young, Blur, Status Quo, Tom Jones, Spinal Tap and Rolf Fucking Harris.  If that's what got you excited as an 18 year old then that's just fucking weird.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the people involved in lining her up shows are unlikely to be getting a cut from any boost in record sales - so their advice is likely to follow the money that they do get a cut of (live fees).

I wasn’t talking about her team I was talking about those close to her.

Ed Sheeran, Stella McCartney, Katy Perry, Lorde, HAIM, and numerous others will have a real influence.

Edited by Matt42