2020 headliners

jj200

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

They dont want drunk assholes  in the middle of crowds holding beers ruining things. ( youre not one of them though ). There would be too much underage drinking and a lot of liability to deal with. ( not even factoring in the drugs on top of that mind you ) At other big festivals in the states theres tons of underage drinking because you can just get a drinking wristband very easily from multiple id check stalls and pass them onto an underage person. If you ever went to Outside Lands in San Francisco for example  you would think it was total rubbish because of the giant swath of annoying underage and drunk people in attendance who arent even there for the music. So yeah, its a good thing theres beer gardens at Coachella. If you wanna drink and see the music, get a plastic flask, thats what the festival veterans do.

Totally confused as to how Glastonbury and all the other hundreds of other festivals that allow drinking in front of the stages have survived this long

with the drinking age being 21 in lots of America, i assume this puts a very large percentage of the audience as not being aloud to drink compared with the UK, still a crazy idea to move drinking away from the acts you come to see (although my experience is yanks cant drink for shit anyway)

Edited by Bennykill
add cultural slur ;)

14 hours ago, Suprefan said:

They dont want drunk assholes  in the middle of crowds holding beers ruining things. ( youre not one of them though ). There would be too much underage drinking and a lot of liability to deal with. ( not even factoring in the drugs on top of that mind you ) At other big festivals in the states theres tons of underage drinking because you can just get a drinking wristband very easily from multiple id check stalls and pass them onto an underage person. If you ever went to Outside Lands in San Francisco for example  you would think it was total rubbish because of the giant swath of annoying underage and drunk people in attendance who arent even there for the music. So yeah, its a good thing theres beer gardens at Coachella. If you wanna drink and see the music, get a plastic flask, thats what the festival veterans do.

This kind of crap just makes people do drugs/smoke instead.. literally pointless and the person who said americans can't drink for shit is right too.

7 hours ago, stuie said:

There's so many other things that could be done.   I mean, we do alright here without making everyone drink in fenced gardens.

In the arenas I guess its controlled well - but the campsites definitely not (for fests other than glastonbury) but to be honest the uk is probably one of the worst countries for drug use/underage drinking in the world so who really cares anyway

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

but to be honest the uk is probably one of the worst countries for drug use/underage drinking in the world so who really cares anyway

Completely disagree. We're bloody good at underage drinking/drugging. I'd say we're the best at it, it's one of our skills 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Completely disagree. We're bloody good at underage drinking/drugging. I'd say we're the best at it, it's one of our skills 

Oh I meant worst as in like its a bad thing but yeah 😂 I think we are definitely the worst no country stands out as nearly on our level in Europe

53 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Was just looking on metacritic (which compiles a load of review scores), and turns out Nick Cave and Kendrick Lamar are the only musicians to have won Album of the Year more than once.

With that and him selling out an arena tour, can people really say Nick still isn't big enough to headline?

Critical success doesn’t equal mass appeal. Kendrick has commercial success, media success and critical success which means he ticks a box for various demographics.

Nick Cave does well in his own lane but outside of this lane you would be hard pressed to find people that familiar with him.

People who think Nick Cave is a music household name is existing in a bit of a pitchfork echo chamber.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Critical success doesn’t equal mass appeal. Kendrick has commercial success, media success and critical success which means he ticks a box for various demographics.

Nick Cave does well in his own lane but outside of this lane you would be hard pressed to find people that familiar with him.

People who think Nick Cave is a music household name is existing in a bit of a pitchfork echo chamber.

What is the cutoff age for 'people'? Because Nick Cave has been a well-known name for decades and is headlining arenas around the world and sold out a large London park last year. I would honestly say that, in the UK, Nick Cave is more of a 'household name' than Kendrick Lamar even if people only know that he's the spooky bloke with bad hair. Not that it gives him the credentials to headline but you're in an echo chamber of your own here.

• Upvote 2

Just bumping this thread so we can actually start discussing the festival again...

When do we reckon Kenny will get announced? Any word on when BST will be announced? (assuming that's still on?)

Looking at other festivals, seems like Glastonbury will end up with the most impressive set of headliners next summer. I don't feel like that's been the case in recent years, so they've really pulled it out the bag.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, dentalplan said:

What is the cutoff age for 'people'? Because Nick Cave has been a well-known name for decades and is headlining arenas around the world and sold out a large London park last year. I would honestly say that, in the UK, Nick Cave is more of a 'household name' than Kendrick Lamar even if people only know that he's the spooky bloke with bad hair. Not that it gives him the credentials to headline but you're in an echo chamber of your own here.

Dude I’d never heard of nick cave until I started going to Glastonbury. I don’t think I know a single person who is a fan of him.

Maybe it’s just my circles but I’d feel comfortable in saying more people have heard of Kendrick Lamar in my friendship groups, in my office and on the street than Nick Cave.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just bumping this thread so we can actually start discussing the festival again...

When do we reckon Kenny will get announced? Any word on when BST will be announced? (assuming that's still on?)

Looking at other festivals, seems like Glastonbury will end up with the most impressive set of headliners next summer. I don't feel like that's been the case in recent years, so they've really pulled it out the bag.

Have we ever had all three headliners announced prior to the first poster dropping? It feels like that's a realistic possibility this year.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

2011?

I shall consult The Thingy #AHTT

EDIT; yes 2011

3 October 2010 (Sun): Tickets on sale - Sold out in 4 hours
11 February (Fri): Beyonce
15 February (Tue): Coldplay
23 February (Wed): U2

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I shall consult The Thingy #AHTT2011

EDIT; yes 2011

3 October 2010 (Sun): Tickets on sale - Sold out in 4 hours
11 February (Fri): Beyonce
15 February (Tue): Coldplay
23 February (Wed): U2

I think most years at least one headliner is tied up with another big show so glasto can’t announce them or choose not to announce them. However this year I don’t think there’s really any reason not to announce all three. Plus I think most attention is going to the undercard now anyway. Anyone who has done a bit of digging knows that it’s Kendrick. 

I would think he’d get his own announcement, so yeah I reckon it will come before the poster drop.

22 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Upon closer inspection it also happened in 2016 and 2017...

And 2008 & 2009.

So quite often really!

Edited by stuie