2020 headliners

jj200

24 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Neil's rational for removing him seems to be that some roady said he was booked and that doesn't match what Emily was saying, yet Macca himself told Zoe Ball he was thinking about it so I think have him sitting as (R) makes sense. Don't give up hope.

At the moment my thoughts are that I would be happy with Emily playing friday .... the cows doing a collaboration on the sat .... and Michael doing my way 10 x over on the sunday ... as long as im bloody in that field with a cider in my hand it really won't matter ... Theres some headliner discussion on here that I dont have the foggiest what they play ... my musical knowledge is not that of some on this forum but I love a bloody good cheesy singalong so Macca would be good for that for me ... maybe taylor too even though I probably dont fit the target audience ... for me Glastonbury is about the people im lucky enough to come in contact with and the headliners an added bonus :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

(Just piecing together fragments of what Emily said).

What British band could require long negotiations that have been ongoing since the summer? What British band would Emily’s kids tell her to hurry up and finalise? 

I can’t think of any - which is leading me to think we have three American headliners or a reunion.

Any British bands due a reform which we haven’t thought about?

Absolutely not gonna happen, but The Smiths...

4 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I think it was more of an artistic decision to suit the show she wanted to do. I don’t think she would necessarily have the same aversion to performing on the Pyramid - it is a space that she could work with and create something spectacular.

She suffers from stage fright and battled with it to get through those Apollo shows. She has never played a show as big as the Pyramid and never will.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I think it was more of an artistic decision to suit the show she wanted to do. I don’t think she would necessarily have the same aversion to performing on the Pyramid - it is a space that she could work with and create something spectacular.

Nah but she's known to have an aversion towards live shows, that's why she rarely ever performs and when she does it has always been at venues like the Apollo. She literally hasn't ever played an arena sized gig (sorry if that's not true, but I think it is), and I don't think she ever will.

Her headlining the Pyramid would be spectacular - potentially one of the best Glastonbury headline sets ever. But it's not gonna happen.

I reckon Taylor and Kendrick are the two who haven't played before. With the one they were chasing all summer it could have been Kendrick but they've recently locked him down, in which case the third could be The 1975, who've signed up for some time. Paul McCartney is a wild card in it all though, there's too many rumblings of him playing to ignore. Could've been that after he dropped out for 2019 he said maybe he'll come back in 2020 and there was hope at Glastonbury HQ for it all, but then that went dead and Nick told Neil it wasn't happening, but since then the old goat has come a bit to life again on it and he's the one they've been chasing all summer. Maybe he won't sign until the new year so The 1975 have been offered an extended sub slot with the possibility of stepping in to fill Macca's carpet slippers when it all falls through again.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She suffers from stage fright and battled with it to get through those Apollo shows. She has never played a show as big as the Pyramid and never will.

Not suggesting it’s going to happen, but Adele suffers from stage fright too. I’ve worked with loads of performers who do, and they generally want to play the biggest venue possible and do less gigs as it’s less  of an ordeal than doing it night after night. If Kate is every thinking of doing one last gig, then it would be perfect. But no indication at all that she wants to, and it’s entirely possible that she saw Hammersmith as her live swan song.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Absolutely reeling from that Macca news.

What news tho? McCartney wasn’t gonna be one of the acts locked in so far in advance anyway, if he led G along the garden path for 2019 way up until January-ish as thought.

IMO he’s the one they’re still courting, and maybe the roadie just knows that Paul is in the mix because there’s the potential that he’s called into action next summer or something - I guess Macca’s roadies would have to be on alert seeing as his shows are usually short notice.

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I reckon Taylor and Kendrick are the two who haven't played before. With the one they were chasing all summer it could have been Kendrick but they've recently locked him down, in which case the third could be The 1975, who've signed up for some time. Paul McCartney is a wild card in it all though, there's too many rumblings of him playing to ignore. Could've been that after he dropped out for 2019 he said maybe he'll come back in 2020 and there was hope at Glastonbury HQ for it all, but then that went dead and Nick told Neil it wasn't happening, but since then the old goat has come a bit to life again on it and he's the one they've been chasing all summer. Maybe he won't sign until the new year so The 1975 have been offered an extended sub slot with the possibility of stepping in to fill Macca's carpet slippers when it all falls through again.

Didn’t Emily say she only had 2 of the 3 booked, and that neither had played before? 

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Didn’t Emily say she only had 2 of the 3 booked, and that neither had played before? 

As I understand it she said she had 2 of 3 booked in one interview, then in a later interview said 2 of the headliners have never played before. So it's possible, although unlikely, that the 3rd headliner was locked in between the two interviews and is one of the 2 who haven't played before. But all that said, it's just difficult to see past Macca as the one they've been massaging all summer. 

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

As I understand it she said she had 2 of 3 booked in one interview, then in a later interview said 2 of the headliners have never played before. So it's possible, although unlikely, that the 3rd headliner was locked in between the two interviews and is one of the 2 who haven't played before. But all that said, it's just difficult to see past Macca as the one they've been massaging all summer. 

She said on the one show on Friday (I believe) that only 2/3 are booked.

Third headliner is definitely holding out - I just can’t for the life of me think who it is if it isn’t Macca. I think he’s the only British act with a band (you know what I mean) that might prolong negotiations. It won’t be someone like Arctic Monkeys because I feel they’d be able to tell you if they were in or out very quickly.

I feel like negotiations for American acts are the ones that can take months as they may not be familiar with the festival. 

Edit: wtf happened to my formatting?

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

IMO he’s the one they’re still courting, and maybe the roadie just knows that Paul is in the mix because there’s the potential that he’s called into action next summer or something - I guess Macca’s roadies would have to be on alert seeing as his shows are usually short notice.

If there are two headliners booked, I’d assume they’re in negotiations with one or two others for the third spot. Again, I’d assume that the main stumbling block is likely to be the fee. Macca is known for being ‘careful’ with his money, ditto the Stones - hopefully it’s someone like that, and there’s at least some intel pointing to Macca. Neil removing him as a rumour changes nothing, it’s down to interpretation.

20 minutes ago, mcshed said:

There has been no Macca news. There is still a fairly unsubstantiated rumour about Macca that is independent of what is on the eFestivals rumours page.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What news tho? McCartney wasn’t gonna be one of the acts locked in so far in advance anyway, if he led G along the garden path for 2019 way up until January-ish as thought.

Cheers lads, your ideas are intriguing to me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter 

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I agree with this. If they do manage to get him then Macca, Taylor Swift and Post Malone will be a pretty strong set of headliners.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Any British bands due a reform which we haven’t thought about?

Not “due” to reform (again) but the Roses have previous for keeping things quiet. They don’t need the money but might feel they have unfinished business with the festival.

I reckon they would just need to talk the fella in the Brazil top in to it and it could be on.

Keep an eye on the webcam for a lemon tree.

4 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Not “due” to reform (again) but the Roses have previous for keeping things quiet. They don’t need the money but might feel they have unfinished business with the festival.

I reckon they would just need to talk the fella in the Brazil top in to it and it could be on.

Keep an eye on the webcam for a lemon tree.

Not having it. Glastonbury doesn’t pay enough and they hate each other.