2020 headliners

jj200

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kendrick: writes an inspirational album about being a black youth in today’s culture 

some boomers: “yeah but have you heard of manic street preachers?”.

I’m willing to bet that you have more in common with the manic street preachers than with Kendrick Lamar, no matter how much you wish it were the other way.

• Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kendrick: writes an inspirational album about being a black youth in today’s culture 

some boomers: “yeah but have you heard of manic street preachers?”.

What always gets me is why the fuck do people attack random people\acts to get their point across? If you have a point try and make it without making derogatory comments about other acts, else you are no better than those who attack your sacred acts!

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Agreed. I only know 2/3 songs but there is plenty of time between now & G to listen.

Not a fan of new rap music but I am living in the past where Dr. Dre, Xzibit, Fiddy, Game, Obie Trice, Jay-Z & Linkin Park were top of the game.

Kendrick is all over Dre's Compton album.  GKMC is pretty much a G Funk record.

8 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Am I the only person who doesn’t know a single song by Kendrick Lamar ?

I think if him and Taylor were booked for this coming year it's a very poor choice, one okay but not two. 

It will though show how the festival over the last few years has got a lot more commercial than where it was. It is afterall Glastonbury Festival, it does need to start booking everyone that V Festival would have.

I enjoy it but it's too much of the whole hashtag and Twitter world that it never used to be and the  it just branches out further. The increase in the amount of people is too far imo when at 160/170k there was enough bottlenecks without adding in another 30k to the mix. It's very much become now a place to be seen at.

Edited by thewayiam
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think if him and Taylor were booked for this coming year it's a very poor choice, one okay but not two.

Fair enough, but then loads of people will disagree with you, so what then? If they booked both, they’d be favouring two of the biggest artists in their respective genres. Would you prefer they didn’t so they could cater for the whims of the nostalgically pious? 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

It will though show how the festival over the last few years has got a lot more commercial than where it was. It is afterall Glastonbury Festival, it does need to start booking everyone that V Festival would have.

I enjoy it but it's too much of the whole hashtag and Twitter world that it never used to be and the  it just branches out further. The increase in the amount of people is too far imo when at 160/170k there was enough bottlenecks without adding in another 30k to the mix. It's very much become now a place to be seen at.

If it is those 2. They're 2 of the highest critically and commercially of their genres this decade. Who else would you rather have? Genuine question. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Fair enough, but then loads of people will disagree with you, so what then? If they booked both, they’d be favouring two of the biggest artists in their respective genres. Would you prefer they didn’t so they could cater for the whims of the nostalgically pious? 

Oh obviously it's just my opinion, not really no but it feels too we've booked a headliner to cover both crowds which I'd imagine a lot of people like.them both?. I'm not really for that side of the rap scene though....nothing against him mind.

4 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I’m willing to bet that you have more in common with the manic street preachers than with Kendrick Lamar, no matter how much you wish it were the other way.

This is completely irrelevant, people don’t go to see music just because you have things in common with it. You also don’t have to be a black American to agree with Kendricks messages and views.

4 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I’m forever near the headliners thread on eFestivals.co.uk saying, ‘what the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always @mattiloy’s posts.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Oh obviously it's just my opinion, not really no but it feels too we've booked a headliner to cover both crowds which I'd imagine a lot of people like.them both?. I'm not really for that side of the rap scene though....nothing against him mind.

It’s not really that the same people would necessary like them both, but that the same people will avoid them both. That’s why I think we can’t get both and there’ll continue to be two rock bands.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

You are aware that they are totally different acts, one is the Pulitzer prize winning, rap god, blending his hip-hop with jazz and funk to huge critical acclaim the other is the country girl who has undergone a pop renaissance to become the biggest star on the planet.  The only thing they have in common is their artistic peak has been in the last decade which admittedly puts them in a minority of headliners but the idea they should book one or the other as they appeal to the same crowd is laughable. The Killers and The Cure have way more in common with each other than Kendrick and Taylor.

People over complicate Glastonbury. It's simple - someone thing for everyone. Yes there should be strong representation of contemporary culture, but there should be a good nod to the past as well. The two don't have to be at odds with each other and it can all coexist.

Two of my highlights from '16 were Chris and Art Garfunkel. That's the beauty of it.

You have to accept that whatever angle you come at it from, there's always a good chunk of the fanbase who want the opposite. And it's all good and beautiful and we love it all!

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

People over complicate Glastonbury. It's simple - someone thing for everyone. Yes there should be strong representation of contemporary culture, but there should be a good nod to the past as well. The two don't have to be at odds with each other and it can all coexist.

Two of my highlights from '16 were Chris and Art Garfunkel. That's the beauty of it.

You have to accept that whatever angle you come at it from, there's always a good chunk of the fanbase who want the opposite. And it's all good and beautiful and we love it all!

Precisely this.

The range of ages at the festival is anywhere between 0 and 90. There is a colossal range of ages, tastes and interests to cater for. Simply saying “the festival should only cater for young people” is stupid and reductive. Why alienate half of your audience?

This is why I maintain that the KDot/Swift/Macca combo gives a perfect range of genres and interests. Something for (almost) everyone.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Precisely this.

The range of ages at the festival is anywhere between 0 and 90. There is a colossal range of ages, tastes and interests to cater for. Simply saying “the festival should only cater for young people” is stupid and reductive. Why alienate half of your audience?

This is why I maintain that the KDot/Swift/Macca combo gives a perfect range of genres and interests. Something for (almost) everyone.

Aye. My taste is pretty all over the shop and I love being able to mix old and new at the same place. Where the fuck else can you see Jeff Goldblum and Billie Eilish in the same day?!

Christ that trio is too good. We need Macca to announce some shows for next year so we can add more fuel to that fire.