Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

15 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

It came across to me as a genuine attempt to start a conversation about potential rules with an attempt (IMO successful) at using a funny title to grab attention. 

Okay, I concede: my sense of humour appears to get checked-out when I enter this forum.  Every time I hear mention of Philippa's Van or the monorail, a bit of my soul dies.  But funny or not, this thread will still be seen as a personal dig by one person on this forum and the same old handbags are likely to be swinging again.

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

When you finish watching a set, take 2 empty cans off the ground (even if, hopefully, you never put them there) and place them in the nearest recycling bin. 

Already do take more than I am responsible for but have an upvote for encouraging others.

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

When you finish watching a set, take 2 empty cans off the ground (even if, hopefully, you never put them there) and place them in the nearest recycling bin. 

I remember sometime, somewhere, being incredibly impressed with the ability of the man in the crowd next to me to stamp on top of each can he finished so that it compressed exactly  into a thick circle.  He then could pop this into his bag, taking up little space.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't tried to emulate this many, many times, without success.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I always forget to put my stuff in the bins, and then wake up in the morning with my coat and shorts pockets stuffed with cans and cups and wrappers and all sorts of other rubbish.   Very annoying habit.  I can't abide the thought of discarding rubbish over the fields.

I was impressed with BBC biggest weekend in Swansea that they were offering cash / beer tokens for returning empty beer cans or plastic glasses. This obviously led to groups of kids clearing the majority of the rubbish from the site. Is this too simple an idea for a festival the scale of Glastonbury to introduce? 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I remember sometime, somewhere, being incredibly impressed with the ability of the man in the crowd next to me to stamp on top of each can he finished so that it compressed exactly  into a thick circle.  He then could pop this into his bag, taking up little space.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't tried to emulate this many, many times, without success.  

Trick is to pre-fold it before stomping / squashing.

Hold the can upright and squash it in halfway down the can from each side so it meets in the middle. Then rotate it 90 degrees (still upright) and do the same top and bottom. Won't meet in the middle, but you'll put the folds in the right place to get it started.

Then either stomp it flat, or (and this is my preference) flatten it in your hands. Should now be nicely flat and fit easily into a pocket for later disposal. Just remember to upend it and get rid of the dregs before putting it in said pocket :)

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Trick is to pre-fold it before stomping / squashing.

Hold the can upright and squash it in halfway down the can from each side so it meets in the middle. Then rotate it 90 degrees (still upright) and do the same top and bottom. Won't meet in the middle, but you'll put the folds in the right place to get it started.

Then either stomp it flat, or (and this is my preference) flatten it in your hands. Should now be nicely flat and fit easily into a pocket for later disposal. Just remember to upend it and get rid of the dregs before putting it in said pocket :)

Can we have a diagram please? ?

Yes because what would they do with it? Despite the herculean efforts of the bin-emptying tractor crews, the bins fill faster than they can be emptied. The choice sometimes is carry your rubbish with you of drop on/next to a full bin (the former is better of course). The thing that is really shitty is rubbish dropped in random bits of the site or the absolute worst- pushed it hedges or bushes! Some poor f**ker has to get it all out by hand!

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

funny or not, this thread will still be seen as a personal dig by one person on this forum 

If it helps, it wasn’t meant as such. An unfortunate autocorrect on another thread tickled me and seemed a topical ‘in’ to create this one. No animosity and no digs intended. 

34 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I was impressed with BBC biggest weekend in Swansea that they were offering cash / beer tokens for returning empty beer cans or plastic glasses. This obviously led to groups of kids clearing the majority of the rubbish from the site. Is this too simple an idea for a festival the scale of Glastonbury to introduce? 

This is a thing at quite a few festivals.

Put your litter in a bin is a biggy for me, the amount of litter dropped at G is embarrassing, it doesn’t have to be that way. Latitude is one of the cleanest festivals I’ve been to, yes there is litter, but not much, it’s really noticeable how little there is.

whats the reasons? 

More people equals more litter?

different type of person at latitude?

better litter picking regime?

whatever the reason G could learn a lot from latitude and other festivals.

14 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Put your litter in a bin is a biggy for me, the amount of litter dropped at G is embarrassing, it doesn’t have to be that way. Latitude is one of the cleanest festivals I’ve been to, yes there is litter, but not much, it’s really noticeable how little there is.

whats the reasons? 

There used to be certain times when there would be a brief gap in the entertainment, they would pass some bags out and we could clear up a given area.  This seemed to engender some will on the behalf of the crowd to keep it tidier.

Unless I'm mistaken that stopped some years back and these days people are used to knowing that volunteer pickers clean up the site, which seems regressive to me, even if that means other opportunities for folks to obtain a ticket.

37 minutes ago, Smeble said:

whats the reasons? 

Latitude appears to be such a clean festival (though when I worked it in '14, I found out that despite there being segregated rubbish bins, they all ended up in the same bin lorry so it was a token effort at best), I'd say its down to a few factors.

The size helps, as well as the demographic of the punters  but I'd say it being an 'Arena' type festival helps as it dramatically reduces the amount of rubbish that can be brought into the arena.  The deposit and litter picking incentives also make a huge difference to the extent that the Green Messengers working in the arena had little to do most days.

On balance, I thing Glastonbury has it right.  Even though more could be done putting the onus of recycling on to the individual, having so many recycling teams provides an additional way in for people *and* it stops kids getting exploited into litter picking for their families.

Generally speaking, all the rules you need are:

Respect the farm, respect others, respect yourself.

Everything else kinda stems from that. 

Latitude has reusable plastic pint cups, charged £2 deposit for the first one, take it back and swap it next time. Plus you can't take in your own drink so no cans.

Glastonbury have these plastic cups but only at crew bars (I think), @glasto-workercould give you chapter and verse on why they're not more widely used. 

There are the metal pint pots but I think the bar staff still pour into a proper cup and transfer over, this thus making them a waste of time.