Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

11 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

How about respect each other.. 

Why turn it into a gender thing.. 

Because disrespecting women because they are women is a thing really, whereas disrespecting men because they are men isn’t. Showing respect generally is obviously a good thing, but for the sake of this discussion then misogynistic behaviour awareness on the part of men would be something I would put right up there alongside not pissing in bushes. Higher probably. 

A few posters in the 'Bagged a local ticket' thread pointed out that it might be a self-defeating discussion because the continued debate only gave more publicity to a potential way to abuse the locals' tickets system.  However, I think Kalifire's attempt to resurrect it is unwise for another reason.

Despite the fact that Neil appeared to, at the very least, turn a blind eye to the handbag-swinging that ensued, I actually think this sort of thing is bad for a forum.  In the short term, things might get a bit busier as everyone wants to be part of the ensuing circle-w*nk of piss-taking, but in the long run, if you don't challenge this sort of thing, all social media goes the same way.  The majority of people tend to conform to the group's social norms and original/honest discussion gets stifled.  A UK diving forum which I frequented many years ago (divernet.co.uk) spontaneously fell from being the UK's busiest to being completely dead, purely because there was no moderation.  After a period of high drama earning it the nickname 'handbagnet,' it was eventually reduced to an ever-decreasing circle of in-jokes.  It was closed down a couple of years ago after activity had completely, and spontaneously, ceased.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Trying to keep this thread in the spirit it was intended, probably the only thing that gets me down at the festival is the litter. I just hate it, and despite all the campaigns and slogans, and despite the pledge in 2017, it isn't getting any better. I am no fan of rules or Draconian authority, but I think it's time something was put in place whereby the ars***les who drop their litter where they stand were made to face some consequences.

The thread you refer to pretty much self-moderated though? It did get out of hand and people recognised as much, but it would be a shame if this forum became over-moderated. There is a level of piss-taking here, as there is elsewhere, but as long as it doesn’t spill over into downright bullying or harassment then I don’t see too much of a problem. If Gazza, or anyone else, has an issue with anything said then there are appropriate steps they can take.

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

The thread you refer to pretty much self-moderated though? It did get out of hand and people recognised as much, but it would be a shame if this forum became over-moderated. There is a level of piss-taking here, as there is elsewhere, but as long as it doesn’t spill over into downright bullying or harassment then I don’t see too much of a problem. If Gazza, or anyone else, has an issue with anything said then there are appropriate steps they can take.

Agree, it was good the way it settled back down as quickly as it flared up, a great testament to the general excellent nature of those who frequent these pages, and I don't see any signs of a downward spiral yet. Certainly don't need any extra rules or constraints, the blocking of the f***ing swearing is enough to deal with!

Edited by billum

9 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Trying to keep this thread in the spirit it was intended, probably the only thing that gets me down at the festival is the litter. I just hate it, and despite all the campaigns and slogans, and despite the pledge in 2017, it isn't getting any better. I am no fan of rules or Draconian authority, but I think it's time something was put in place whereby the ars***les who drop their litter where they stand were made to face some consequences.

I get what you mean but it gets a bit preposterous in my pocket.

7 minutes ago, Divein said:

There should be a whole list of rules next to stand taps on how they should be used.

Well just one rule...

'These should be used for filling water containers only'

But how, especially on the taps that have no sinks or proper drainage and are causing massive puddles getting dangerously close to other people's tents, else am I supposed to thoroughly clean my wellies every 5 minutes?

Edited by uscore

1 minute ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

It did eventually.  However, starting a new thread on the basis of a sly reference to the offending coment comes across as a rallying cry to get more people in on the act.

The initial "autocorrect" ... Respect the females... Was FUNNY. 

ffs.

5 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

It did eventually.  However, starting a new thread on the basis of a sly reference to the offending coment comes across as a rallying cry to get more people in on the act.

It came across to me as a genuine attempt to start a conversation about potential rules with an attempt (IMO successful) at using a funny title to grab attention. 

• Upvote 1