'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

I’m pretty confident that Kylie on a Sunday afternoon would fill that field. A sunny afternoon and it would be up there with Dolly and just below the Stones. A huge turnout.

It would be heaving if she played Sunday afternoon. Less so as a headliner, I think she'd be daft not to choose an afternoon slot.

14 hours ago, Mardy said:

I’m pretty confident that Kylie on a Sunday afternoon would fill that field. A sunny afternoon and it would be up there with Dolly and just below the Stones. A huge turnout.

On that note do you think the field was busier for Dolly or Lionel?

I watched Sam Smith then tried getting in to the field for Dolly but was stuck by the food places bottom right of the pyramid in possibly the slowest moving foot traffic i've ever experienced at the festival. The missus was getting very worried by it and being a mild sufferer of claustrophobia myself I was panicking on the inside but somehow managed to keep a calm exterior!  

Conversely I was in the thick of the crowd for Lionel so didn't get to apprectiate how busy it really was on the periphery of the field. It looked equal if not busier on the bits I've seen on TV of his set though? 

30 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

On that note do you think the field was busier for Dolly or Lionel?

I watched Sam Smith then tried getting in to the field for Dolly but was stuck by the food places bottom right of the pyramid in possibly the slowest moving foot traffic i've ever experienced at the festival. The missus was getting very worried by it and being a mild sufferer of claustrophobia myself I was panicking on the inside but somehow managed to keep a calm exterior!  

Conversely I was in the thick of the crowd for Lionel so didn't get to apprectiate how busy it really was on the periphery of the field. It looked equal if not busier on the bits I've seen on TV of his set though? 

Just from personal experience I'd say Dolly was busier.

I'd always thought it was Dolly (just from the TV footage as I didn't go to either) but it was mentioned on Chris Evans show the other day. He'd been talking to some stage crew at Radio 2 Festival in a Day about how huge the crowd was. They said something like "Once you get to crowds this size they generally all look the same. Apart from Lionel Richie at Glastonbury. There's big crowds and then there's Lionel at Glastonbury crowds"

Crowd size is a funny thing. They can be rammed at the back and still have empty spaces further forward.  I dunno if you can ever do more than guesstimate.  I dunno if there's much difference between Lionel or Dolly.  I was in the pit for both and both were fairly chill compared to the squash for the Stones.

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'd always thought it was Dolly (just from the TV footage as I didn't go to either) but it was mentioned on Chris Evans show the other day. He'd been talking to some stage crew at Radio 2 Festival in a Day about how huge the crowd was. They said something like "Once you get to crowds this size they generally all look the same. Apart from Lionel Richie at Glastonbury. There's big crowds and then there's Lionel at Glastonbury crowds"

Must be a perspective thing, arrived at Dolly not long before she was due on and could only get a spot pretty far back and up the track near the Cider Bus. Lionel we arrived in plenty of time (might even have watched whoever was on before) and got a nice central spot with plenty of space.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Crowd size is a funny thing. They can be rammed at the back and still have empty spaces further forward.  I dunno if you can ever do more than guesstimate.  I dunno if there's much difference between Lionel or Dolly.  I was in the pit for both and both were fairly chill compared to the squash for the Stones.

We left the pit for the Stones after four or five songs - it just wasn't fun and I couldn't enjoy what I was watching. Watched the rest from outside Le Grande Bouffe and had a whale of a time.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And there was even lots of room behind the pit for the Stones after the chair brigade stood up. 

Literally 2 mins before they came on there was a woman sitting on her chair 30 feet behind the pit and tutting and moaning about how busy it was getting and really annoyed that she had to stand up! 

Top bantz. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And there was even lots of room behind the pit for the Stones after the chair brigade stood up. 

Literally 2 mins before they came on there was a woman sitting on her chair 30 feet behind the pit and tutting and moaning about how busy it was getting and really annoyed that she had to stand up! 

Top bantz. 

Strangest thing I saw that night was a woman pushing her way out of the pit with a FUCKING PUSHCHAIR!!! One of the stupiedest, most irresponsible things I've ever seen. I mean it worked well for us as we were able to follow her out, ambulance style, but that's not the point.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We were by the two trees diagonally to the right of the stage (as you look at it) for Lionel and it was busy but doable.  Even had space for me to have a little lie down when I inexplicably started going pale and sweating for about 10 minutes :lol:

20 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Apples and oranges though, you can pop Plant anywhere on the Pyramid and he'd go down well... except for that slot. I think there's an expectation nowadays that it'll be a classic pop act, something everyone can have a drink, a dance and a big singalong to.

That's why ELO died on their arses, they didn't fit it.

That's true that about the expectation.

Off to see ELO in October, wasn't at GF the year they played, didn't seem the best. I'm sure they were playing slightly too slow on certain tracks an all, was strange listening back.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

We were by the two trees diagonally to the right of the stage (as you look at it) for Lionel and it was busy but doable.  Even had space for me to have a little lie down when I inexplicably started going pale and sweating for about 10 minutes :lol:

A funny turn? ? Never good.

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

That's true that about the expectation.

Off to see ELO in October, wasn't at GF the year they played, didn't seem the best. I'm sure they were playing slightly too slow on certain tracks an all, was strange listening back.

ELO are a fine band, and would have worked well anywhere else, but not in that slot.

My theory is that the festival approached them about playing, they wanted to headline and the festival said "well you can't headline, but we have something just as prestigious...."

On 9/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, Mardy said:

'Cept Kylie can't sing for sixpence!

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Dionne Warwick is about to tour the UK - I’m guessing she’s not the big draw she once would have been, and probably not for the Sunday slot, but it’d be nice to see her on the farm. Has she played at Glastonbury?

It would not be in any way unpleasant to hear Dionne in the  fields of Somerset ....