Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

Managed to tickets for The Streets gig, thankfully. However, yet again the whole process has been overrun with touts.

Mike Skinner knows full well these tickets will be in high demand and that, in today's climate, touts will snap them up and sell them for inflated prices on the usual resale sites. I've read Mike Skinner's autobiography and he comes across as really genuine, down-to-earth guy, so I'm wondering why he would allow his fans to get ripped off like this. I've come up with the following possibilities:

• He's oblivious to ticket touting
    • I very much doubt this is the case
  • He was scared the dates wouldn't sell out if he put anti-touting measures in place
    • Again, I doubt this. He surely knew all the dates would sell, given the popularity of The Streets
  • He doesn't care and has just let his team/promoters sort it
  • He's getting a kick-back from the resale sites to bump up his revenue
    • As nefarious as it is, these types of deals between artists and ticket agents would not surprise me in the slightest 

Am I being naive in thinking that artists like Mike Skinner have a conscience and would/should proactively take steps to prevent their fans, the very people who have made them money all these years, being ripped off?

I don't for one second believe that artists of this size do not have the power to say that they want measures in place to stop the tickets being resold. Print the lead booker's name on the tickets and ask for ID at the venue. LCD Soundsystyem did it and pretty much wiped out the touts.  

Which leads me to believe that it's all about money, even at the expense of his loyal fans. If artists aren't prepared to do something about touting, they're, in my opinion, enabling it. 

1 hour ago, StLewi said:

I don't for one second believe that artists of this size do not have the power to say that they want measures in place to stop the tickets being resold. Print the lead booker's name on the tickets and ask for ID at the venue. LCD Soundsystyem did it and pretty much wiped out the touts.  

He's been doing DJ sets at random nightclubs and student unions for the past five years hasn't he?

I don't necessarily agree that when SJM Concerts come knocking for Mike to get the band back together to do a tour of Live Nation venues - neither company I would assume are particularly interested in cutting out the secondary ticket market - he should tell them to stuff their money because of how much he cares for the fans. Where possible I love seeing artists take action against touting but in a lot of cases I think the artist just has to grin and bear it, and I'm not sure you can really begrudge them for it.

Surprisingly naive from yer man Skinner.

No ticket for me, but I'll find my way in come April.

Just realised his DJ set at the White Hotel Salford is straight after night 1 of The Cribs residency at Gorilla, which I have tickets for. That is set to be an interesting night!

Demand will always outstrip supply but I've never seen it as bad as this Streets tour ever before in my life. It would appear from the comments on their fb and twitter touts bought up 90% of tickets. There's always fans commenting when band's announce tours who didn't get tickets but this is on another level. It's the worst I've ever seen. I was trying this morning and managed to get as far as entering my card details but to no avail. Sold out by the time I hit submit.

It's one thing to have no measures in place for touts. Another for the re-sale sites linked to the main ticket selling websites. But to allow you in to the booking page and not reserve your tickets whilst you enter your details is the fucking con of the century. It's 2017 for crying out loud. "Buy or sell tickets" I literally want to spit in the face of these scum when I pass them in the street on the way to the venue but I wouldn't want them having the satisfaction of pressing charges.

Often wonder if the artist really has a say in the ticketing policies? Assume there’s ab extra expense in some of the additional checks etc at the venue, my guess would be they know the demand is going to be high and the assumption is the promoter and ticket sites will make the necessary adjustments. I got through multiple times for mates on Friday, always going to be tons of tickets landing on resale sites, until the government regulates the ticket resale sites properly it seems like there aren’t a huge number of cost effective solutions available.

On 14/10/2017 at 12:10 AM, Simpo said:

Surprisingly naive from yer man Skinner.

No ticket for me, but I'll find my way in come April.

Just realised his DJ set at the White Hotel Salford is straight after night 1 of The Cribs residency at Gorilla, which I have tickets for. That is set to be an interesting night!

I have tickets for the night after, I'd rather be doing it your way round ahah.

Am I a bit naive in thinking we might hold artists up on a pedestal a bit too much. We expect them to stand on the moral high ground because we want them to respect their fans and fight against touts. But unless you're Adele or Ed Sheeran, do you really have that much say?

A lot of people are involved in the process of decision making and I don't think Mike Skinner is top of that list when it comes to venues, prices, tickets etc. Obviously an artist can refuse but like I said, unless you're world star at the top of your game - are the companies not the ones with the power? I could be completely wrong.

Like I said, there is an argument for integrity in that Mike has every right to say 'Oi nah' but at the same time, I'm not sure I blame him. We don't really live in those DIY / indy days anymore. Idk, thinking out loud and maybe I'm just chatting shit and artists should just not be mugs about it... Stop the problem before it even exists etc. Its merky waters that for sure. 

Fuck touts and profitable resale sites tho.

Edited by jyoung

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Am I a bit naive in thinking we might hold artists up on a pedestal a bit too much. We expect them to stand on the moral high ground because we want them to respect their fans and fight against touts. But unless you're Adele or Ed Sheeran, do you really have that much say?

A lot of people are involved in the process of decision making and I don't think Mike Skinner is top of that list when it comes to venues, prices, tickets etc. Obviously an artist can refuse but like I said, unless you're world star at the top of your game - are the companies not the ones with the power? I could be completely wrong.

Like I said, there is an argument for integrity in that Mike has every right to say 'Oi nah' but at the same time, I'm not sure I blame him. We don't really live in those DIY / indy days anymore. Idk, thinking out loud and maybe I'm just chatting shit and artists should just not be mugs about it... Stop the problem before it even exists etc. Its merky waters that for sure. 

Fuck touts and profitable resale sites tho.

Well I think you're right if it helps. The artist is the only face we see so maybe it's natural that we look to them for the solution but the ticketing agencies and venues are run by multi million pound businesses that the artists also have to bow to.

I don't believe putting names on the tickets is necessarily the answer anyway. Look at the mess it caused recently; people were missing the start of the Foo Fighters gig cos of the restrictions on tickets weren't they? Imagine even larger stadium gigs where they have to check 80,000 peoples' names. And it caused a fuck about with LCD too, with me on the side that leaving honest buyers out in the cold is anything but a success against touts. People should be allowed to trade tickets but touting should be made illegal.

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't believe putting names on the tickets is necessarily the answer anyway. Look at the mess it caused recently; people were missing the start of the Foo Fighters gig cos of the restrictions on tickets weren't they? Imagine even larger stadium gigs where they have to check 80,000 peoples' names. And it caused a fuck about with LCD too, with me on the side that leaving honest buyers out in the cold is anything but a success against touts. People should be allowed to trade tickets but touting should be made illegal.

I'm a big advocate of the system Dice currently have. Developing that strikes me as the obvious solution, especially as tickets are inevitably going to end up on mobile phones anyway.

2 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

I'm a big advocate of the system Dice currently have. Developing that strikes me as the obvious solution, especially as tickets are inevitably going to end up on mobile phones anyway.

Aye, there's a venue in London that's become DICE only, it's the next logical solution.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/20/dice-digital-tickets-touts/

18 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Yep, it’s a dream and I’m mildly pissed off when gigs I wanna go to aren’t on there. I think there are limits to its success though given the fact that artists are promoted by, venues are owned by and tickets are sold and resold by the same companies in this industry and DICE has to face off against those ticketing agencies. But it’s doing a fantastic job thus far so it’s a bit David and Goliath, here’s hoping it continues.

Edited by dentalplan