The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

I've updated the historical rain figures to give a feel for the week before the festival. 

As mentioned the last time I did this, the stats are taken from a weather station in Bath, so there will be some regional variances, particularly around storms. Even with this in mind, 2016 was the wettest week before a festival, wettest fortnight before a festival and the wettest April - June and May and June since 2008. 

GFL Rain Table WbW.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Titters said:

I've updated the historical rain figures to give a feel for the week before the festival. 

As mentioned the last time I did this, the stats are taken from a weather station in Bath, so there will be some regional variances, particularly around storms. Even with this in mind, 2016 was the wettest week before a festival, wettest fortnight before a festival and the wettest April - June and May and June since 2008. 

GFL Rain Table WbW.png

2011 seems like a real anomaly because the ground was awful until the sun came out on Saturday afternoon. Campervans had to be towed into the fields. Yet it was by far the driest April to June and only 2013 had a drier June!

3 minutes ago, briddj said:

2011 seems like a real anomaly because the ground was awful until the sun came out on Saturday afternoon. Campervans had to be towed into the fields. Yet it was by far the driest April to June and only 2013 had a drier June!

Yeah, I think Pilton got more rain in 2011 than the source of this info - the Wednesday rain was pretty localised (from my memory of being on the queue as it happened)

22 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Exactly, not to mention the challenge of getting tent pegs into (and out of) rock hard ground. It needs a bit of give - like walking on the sprung floor of a gym is just right.

Spring floor in gym? Tre Posh...!

Mine's concrete with rubber mats!

On 5/18/2017 at 5:45 PM, TiZuff said:

2013 was great. 2015 wasnt too bad either. if you offered me 2015 right now id take it. if i remember correctly you could sit down on the grass that year without much trouble. thats all i ask.

Same! Being able to sit down on the grass and get around quickly makes it soooo much better in my book

3 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

It's not quite Pilton but I can certainly confirm that here in Bristol the weather has been freaking horrid all day.

Yep, it's so vile I've just lit the fire. :wacko:

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Great Pilton Well Dipstick needs to be deployed Wednesday or Thursday after the worst of the week's weather is over so we can see what the prognosis is.

22 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Deebeedoobee & The Great Pilton Well Dipstick Deployment. 

I am not sure if I should be offended by all this