2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

(no offence)

Excellent work.

The original reference point for that has easily been my favourite efests non-music related high point so far in this current Glastonbury run-up.

We haven't had BRITS night yet, mind.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

For 2020 I'd currently say Macca, Elton, Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Kendrick and Ariana Grande all seem like they could be in with a shout at the moment.

With you on Grande, but isn’t there a reason Elton is out of the running? I can’t recall why. I seem to have something in the back of my mind about it.

Kendrick wont be playing without a new album, which is probable by that point. Booking him earlier in the album release cycle would be a power move. Much better than “check this guy out, he did DAMN a few years back. No? Ok also that one with “drink” in it over and over again.”

Edited by kalifire

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

With you on Grande, but isn’t there a reason Elton is out of the running? I can’t recall why. I seem to have something in the back of my mind about it.

Kendrick wont be playing without a new album, which is probable by that point. Booking him earlier in the album release cycle would be a power move. Much better than “check this guy out, he did DAMN a few years back. No? Ok also that one with “drink” in it over and over again.”

Nah Elton was ruled out of 2019 but not 2020 I'm pretty sure. And yeah Kendrick is supposed to be releasing this year. Think his record label leaked a list of their artists releasing this year or something along those lines?

Just now, The Martini Police said:

Elton headlines for me alongside AM and Macca. 1975 might have to wait. 

Elton could easily headline, especially with him being deep into his farewell tour and having never played the festival before. This is just wild speculation/wishful thinking on my part that the festival gives him an extended, 90 minute, legend slot as their big thing for the 50th.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The 1975 aren't going to headline the 50th Glastonbury the year after they headlined R&L. 

Why not exactly? There's a very good chance they'll be the biggest band on the planet this time next year, and they've already expressed a desire to play the festival. If they're available why wouldn't they be booked?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Elton could easily headline, especially with him being deep into his farewell tour and having never played the festival before. This is just wild speculation/wishful thinking on my part that the festival gives him an extended, 90 minute, legend slot as their big thing for the 50th.

If Elton plays, he headlines. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I'd take that. Reckon Elton in the afternoon is biggest crowd ever territory? I think it would be.

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The 1975 aren't going to headline the 50th Glastonbury the year after they headlined R&L.

What's that's got to do with the price of fish?

It's the 50th yeah but they can't magic Led Zeppelin out of their arse. The fact they're headlining R&L this year means nothing with regards to preventing them from headlining Glastonbury 2020 imo.

Edited by jyoung

Just now, Hawros said:

I see the argument for a bumper edition, with larger than usual Legend, but an Elton show would be so much more special as a headline show, closing the Sunday. IMO.

It all depends on how big a deal the 50th is amongst the top artists. If they buy into it then you could end up with bigger names being prepared to take lower slots to play (I'd stick my mortgage on Coldplay turning up somewhere but not headlining for example). If they don't then it's just another Glastonbury and the festival will just book whoever they can as they usually do.