2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Of course he sells more in the USA, it’s a far bigger market. His last few tours here have been small arena ones that sell out in no time, so it’s no real barometer. Last time he played larger venues he played the likes of Hyde Park and the Millennium Stadium. Ultimately he is probably the most successful, influential and biggest musician we’ve produced, and far more worthy than an hour on the Pyramid on a Sunday afternoon.

That's a silly statement as there is plenty of acts that have sold way more here than there lol....You only have to see The Roses, Blur, Oasis, The Verve I believe, Biffy Clyro and Kasabian to name a few, you sell more in America if you make it there, if you don't you won't. You can't just say because America is a bigger market that you'd all more tickets.

When did he play Millenium Stadium?, his tour dates say Cardiff motorpoint, Hyde Park was Radio 2 in 2016....the same event probably that Kylie just did. He did Hove in 06, 2011 and again next year....he hasn't moved anywhere for years, 2008 was the last time he had a run of a couple of Manchester, London and Birmingham dates. I'll, he might be huge and have a big back catalogue but every Pyramid headliner booked now sell more tickets than he does and not cheap. All 3 last year and 2016, and tbh I think at least 2 out of 3 in 2015 would sell better. Also lets be honest, I doubt any Legend slot is going to pack out more than Lionel did and he did Eden and does similar outside dates but bigger arena tours and sells more tickets. I'm pretty confident that Elton would only be offered Sunday afternoon....even if maybe it was 1hr 30 instead of the usual 1hr 15 and if his ego was too big to say no the fest would not bother....They don't need Elton to sell.

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's a silly statement as there is plenty of acts that have sold way more here than there lol....You only have to see The Roses, Blur, Oasis, The Verve I believe, Biffy Clyro and Kasabian to name a few, you sell more in America if you make it there, if you don't you won't. You can't just say because America is a bigger market that you'd all more tickets.

When did he play Millenium Stadium?, his tour dates say Cardiff motorpoint, Hyde Park was Radio 2 in 2016....the same event probably that Kylie just did. He did Hove in 06, 2011 and again next year....he hasn't moved anywhere for years, 2008 was the last time he had a run of a couple of Manchester, London and Birmingham dates. I'll, he might be huge and have a big back catalogue but every Pyramid headliner booked now sell more tickets than he does and not cheap. All 3 last year and 2016, and tbh I think at least 2 out of 3 in 2015 would sell better. Also lets be honest, I doubt any Legend slot is going to pack out more than Lionel did and he did Eden and does similar outside dates but bigger arena tours and sells more tickets. I'm pretty confident that Elton would only be offered Sunday afternoon....even if maybe it was 1hr 30 instead of the usual 1hr 15 and if his ego was too big to say no the fest would not bother....They don't need Elton to sell.

I was talking about McCartney

4 hours ago, zico martin said:

What's the thoughts on the chances of Florence after a decent new album? 

Based on nothing of substance whatsoever, I would have though the chances were pretty decent especially given that she largely swerved UK festivals this year. But everyone seems to be putting her down for IOW so maybe there's reasons to think she'll be there instead.

Edited by incident

1 hour ago, incident said:

Based on nothing of substance whatsoever, I would have though the chances were pretty decent especially given that she largely swerved UK festivals this year. But everyone seems to be putting her down for IOW so maybe there's reasons to think she'll be there instead.

Four years on from last Glastonbury headline performance is just too soon, even if she stepped in and may be rewarded for doing so. She'll still be able to headline on the next album so might as well put it off until then and cement her status elsewhere. IOW is just because she doesn't really fit in anywhere else except maybe as the larger headliner for Latitude.

8 hours ago, mufcok said:

image.png.9f2963dc93e77680c423b186b3648053.pngN

They do seem like obvious headliners to me.... (but maybe that's just because I really really want it to be them)

I noticed some other efesters have gone off the idea in recent days though. Is that just because of them hitting the festival circuit hard this year, or are there some other reasons that I've missed along the way?

9 hours ago, henry bear said:

I was talking about McCartney

It sounded like because how the conversation had gone you meant Elton but maybe crossed wires, either way that point stands.

But on Macca, yes of course there is no denying it. Silly prices, sellouts etc and can still headline anywhere he wants to but I didn't question that he couldn't. He is still very much relevant today and wouldn't be asked to take a different slow. 

12 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

He said the biggest acts will be "two or three that have never played" but he always says similar. Could even just mean that the legends' slot and one or two subs have never played.

never believe a Michael quote about that sort of thing (and particularly at this time of year when they've often not got anyone booked).

As told to me by someone who *REALLY* knows. :)

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

They do seem like obvious headliners to me.... (but maybe that's just because I really really want it to be them)

I noticed some other efesters have gone off the idea in recent days though. Is that just because of them hitting the festival circuit hard this year, or are there some other reasons that I've missed along the way?

I'd gone off the idea of them headlining purely because it's pretty rare for them to have a band headline on consecutive album tours. I know AM wasn't out when they last headlined but as dentalplan mentioned recently, it's hard to separate that performance from AM. To be honest I see that set as pretty much the start of them promoting AM.

The info in that tweet probably does refer to Glastonbury but I saw someone else mention that it could be Bonnaroo which I guess is another possibility. 

2 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I'd gone off the idea of them headlining purely because it's pretty rare for them to have a band headline on consecutive album tours. I know AM wasn't out when they last headlined but as dentalplan mentioned recently, it's hard to separate that performance from AM. To be honest I see that set as pretty much the start of them promoting AM.

Aaaah ok, thanks! :)

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Even though it was the start of the AM tour they only played three songs from it, one of them unreleased at the time, so the setlist would be pretty different even if they are still playing heavily from that album. It's just a shame that they are still playing so heavily from AM really as they toured the hell out of it and played almost all of it at the shows on their last tour so anybody who saw them post-AM release has already experienced the majority of the setlist they're currently playing (essentially they've removed four or five AM tracks and replaced them with the new stuff). Not that that'll matter on the night, but their setlists look incredibly stale to me at the moment with only the limp new album material which will have most of the crowd going for a pint in there to change things up. Predictable and boring, but ultimately safe and crowd pleasing headliner if it is them.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Even though it was the start of the AM tour they only played three songs from it, one of them unreleased at the time, so the setlist would be pretty different even if they are still playing heavily from that album. It's just a shame that they are still playing so heavily from AM really as they toured the hell out of it and played almost all of it at the shows on their last tour so anybody who saw them post-AM release has already experienced the majority of the setlist they're currently playing (essentially they've removed four or five AM tracks and replaced them with the new stuff). Not that that'll matter on the night, but their setlists look incredibly stale to me at the moment with only the limp new album material which will have most of the crowd going for a pint in there to change things up. Predictable and boring, but ultimately safe and crowd pleasing headliner if it is them.

They played 6 or 7 from AM last night (DIWK, RU Mine, Arabella, Knee Socks, WDYOCMWYH, Snap Out of It and maybe one more?) some of those were good, others were the weakest parts of the set for me. I would happily see them drop most of those in favour of some deeper cuts. (Suck It 7 See is still criminally under represented)

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The number of acts that could headline seem to always be realistically limited to 6 or 7 and this forum always seems to get it there or thereabouts. When was the last time a headliner totally caught everyone by surprise?

The Who caught a lot of people by surprise in 2015 but only because they were supposed to be playing Paris that night and rearranged that gig to play Glastonbury. If i remember rightly they had been discussed briefly and then dismissed due to that gig. Just goes to show that even if they have a gig planned in elsewhere they can still end up playing. There have been a couple of surprises over the years though. 

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The Who caught a lot of people by surprise in 2015 but only because they were supposed to be playing Paris that night and rearranged that gig to play Glastonbury. If i remember rightly they had been discussed briefly and then dismissed due to that gig. Just goes to show that even if they have a gig planned in elsewhere they can still end up playing. There have been a couple of surprises over the years though. 

Yeah Neil had info earlier that The Who were playing but then disregarded it upon finding out they were already booked somewhere else that night.

Headliner-wise it's always pretty easy to narrow it down the closer it gets when bands become active and tours are announced. We'd all pretty much written off Foo Fighters last year due to them taking a 'hiatus' and were all pretty clueless/wrong about the third headliner until, as we should've expected, their hiatus lasted only a year and they started announcing a tour. It's very rare that a headliner will appear out of nowhere to do Glastonbury, although Kanye is the one that springs to mind most in recent years - I don't think anybody saw that one coming, and headliner-wise 2015 had this forum in meltdown mode right up until a month prior due to Foos pulling out.

Edited by FloorFiller

I'm hoping that what The Who did in rearranging their own gig to play the festival shows artists will do pretty much anything to play the festival which means even though Elton is seemingly unlikely to play due to the whole 3 nights in a row thing there's no way he can be properly ruled out.

Edit: yes I know i'm clutching at straws but... 

Edited by JoeyT

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I even posted on here about it, but then someone said about their Paris gig.

I remember it well - the disappointment of finding out it was The Who, then the relief of finding out they were already booked up in Paris, and then the bigger disappointment of finding out they'd cancelled that gig to play Glastonbury. 2015 was a real rollercoaster ride.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I remember it well - the disappointment of finding out it was The Who, then the relief of finding out they were already booked up in Paris, and then the bigger disappointment of finding out they'd cancelled that gig to play Glastonbury. 2015 was a real rollercoaster ride.

with hindsight, what's most surprising about that is how long the official news took to come out, as the band had obviously agreed to play when I heard (I heard via an excellent source who I really shouldn't have doubted, even with the gig in Paris).

How long does it take to cancel a gig? :blink::lol:

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

with hindsight, what's most surprising about that is how long the official news took to come out, as the band had obviously agreed to play when I heard (I heard via an excellent source who I really shouldn't have doubted, even with the gig in Paris).

How long does it take to cancel a gig? :blink::lol:

The fact that they had a gig booked in makes me assume that they weren't first choice - is that when Prince allegedly dropped out and left them scrambling to get a replacement at quite short notice?

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

The fact that they had a gig booked in makes me assume that they weren't first choice - is that when Prince allegedly dropped out and left them scrambling to get a replacement at quite short notice?

yeah, they held out too long for the purple prick, when from what I heard via some extremely well connected sources - very close to Prince's camp - is that it was never ever on the cards.

I can only think Glasto were being strung along by an agent who was too focused on the money he'd make if it came together; that agent would have had little to lose if it didn't.

Which might sound oddly unprofessional by that agent, but it's something I know with 100% certainty has happened over far smaller bands who had absolutely no chance of playing but were telling Glasto they'd make it happen (I actually told a Glastonbury booker there was no chance for that band while he was telling me it would definitely happen; it didn't).

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Yeah I've always thought that they weren't first choice. Makes you wonder why, if they were scrabbling round for a headliner, Florence wasn't given the bump in the first place.