2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

29 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Wish the Arctics would push off and let the other kids have a go. I mean I didn't mind that new album (wasn't compelled to give it a second listen tho) but they've played twice and fucked it twice.

It's the kind of album that needs multiple listens but I agree neither of their previous performances set the world on fire. 3rd times a charm maybe?! I think they deserve another crack at it. I haven't seen them yet on this tour but reports have been mostly good.  I think it'll surely be them.

Which other relatively young bands would you like to see get a crack at it? There aren't many bands that came up in the 00s that would be in the running.

29 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Wish the Arctics would push off and let the other kids have a go. I mean I didn't mind that new album (wasn't compelled to give it a second listen tho) but they've played twice and fucked it twice.

Can you elaborate of what you mean by 'fucking it twice'? You're not the only one here to have criticised it (usually "boring") but what was it about the 2013 set that you thought was so bad? Setlist choices, crowd interaction, mistakes? Admittedly, I'm a big fan (as I'm sure you can tell if you remember the first song off aforementioned album) but I've never heard anyone outside this forum consider that particular set anything other than a huge success and I thought it was a fantastic show (both being there and watching it back) so I'm surprised. The main criticism I'd have of Turner is his lack of or lazy crowd interaction at times, but he was good that night with a bunch of memorable lines. They probably played all their best known tunes too. If you don't like them/their songs then fair enough, but I'm struggling to understand how they 'fucked it'. 

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

It's the kind of album that needs multiple listens but I agree neither of their previous performances set the world on fire. 3rd times a charm maybe?! I think they deserve another crack at it. I haven't seen them yet on this tour but reports have been mostly good.  I think it'll surely be them.

Although I'm sure it'll go down just fine as has been the case the previous two times, I can't see a headline set from them whilst they tour their current album being any kind of improvement on their previous goes at it. Ideally they would go away for a while and do it with a few more albums under their belts (and be touring a more festival friendly one) but they're the clear successor to Muse and Coldplay's headlining-every-few-years reign so I suppose it was inevitable that they'd show up next year. I drunkenly wandered in to the Pyramid field and caught some of their set last time. I doubt I'll bother this time around.

The Cure, Arctic Monkeys, Madonna it is.

11 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Can you elaborate of what you mean by 'fucking it twice'? You're not the only one here to have criticised it (usually "boring") but what was it about the 2013 set that you thought was so bad? Setlist choices, crowd interaction, mistakes? Admittedly, I'm a big fan (as I'm sure you can tell if you remember the first song off aforementioned album) but I've never heard anyone outside this forum consider that particular set anything other than a huge success and I thought it was a fantastic show (both being there and watching it back) so I'm surprised. The main criticism I'd have of Turner is his lack of or lazy crowd interaction at times, but he was good that night with a bunch of memorable lines. They probably played all their best known tunes too. If you don't like them/their songs then fair enough, but I'm struggling to understand how they 'fucked it'. 

I watched it on TV and thought it looked shite, to be fair. And I'm a fan. Saw them on the AM arena tour, too, and they unbelievably dull. No energy in the performance, pretty sure half the older songs were played at a slower tempo, and the weird stopping for a couple of minutes in the pitch black between every song whilst Alex Turner didn't even speak to the crowd.

Saw them this Summer at Mad Cool festival, and they were better than in 2013, and I enjoyed them, but they were still the worst headliner there (The others were Pearl Jam, Jack White, Depeche Mode and QOTSA). I like the new album, too, btw.

The reality is they just aren't an amazing live band. Some bands are, some bands aren't.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Switch The Cure out for the 1975 and you’ve got my prediction.

Really do think they'll end up at Reading/Leeds instead, especially (as somebody pointed out) with them having no Leeds date on their tour. 

The Cure still seems like a strange booking to me, but guess it wouldn't be too different from Radiohead last year so eh, why not. In fact, The Cure, Arctics, Madonna would be a pretty similar format of headliners to last year - Old Glastonbury cult favourite returning for one last stab at it. Big crowd pleasing stadium act. Huge pop act.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't get the issue, it was a great gig and I'm not a fan of the albums after the 2nd bar AM.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I'm sure it'll go down just fine as has been the case the previous two times, I can't see a headline set from them whilst they tour their current album being any kind of improvement on their previous goes at it. Ideally they would go away for a while and do it with a few more albums under their belts (and be touring a more festival friendly one) but they're the clear successor to Muse and Coldplay's headlining-every-few-years reign so I suppose it was inevitable that they'd show up next year. I drunkenly wandered in to the Pyramid field and caught some of their set last time. I doubt I'll bother this time around.

The Cure, Arctic Monkeys, Madonna it is.

It's so clear it's Arctic Monkeys tbh. Whenever they bring out something new to tour it's an easy booking for both then and Glasto, I feel they have a bit of understanding now like Coldplay where they love it, they know what it'll do for them and they want to play it. I'll also be the as well as the other date the only English Festival they have done on this album.

Imo saying Stormzy could headline is about as silly as saying Disclosure couldm sure they are both probably the biggest british artists in their respective genres, but they are no Daft Punk/Kanye West. Both of them have big hits and have been nominated for awards, but neither could manage a full headline slot (but could probably manage an Other headline or sub).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Imo saying Stormzy could headline is about as silly as saying Disclosure couldm sure they are both probably the biggest british artists in their respective genres, but they are no Daft Punk/Kanye West. Both of them have big hits and have been nominated for awards, but neither could manage a full headline slot (but could probably manage an Other headline or sub).

That's like saying The 1975 can't headline because they're not Oasis lol what

I’m not adverse to AM doing it.  Last time I was so drunk I can’t remember a thing of it (some are saying that’s a good thing)..

Im also convinced there was a naked bloke in a gimp mask on someone’s shoulders at some point! (I’ve been telling my mates that for years and they’re convinced I was making it up).... well  it could have just been that I was drunker than I even thought!!!

Not being funny but for anyone who thinks they would book Elton as a headline, come on. As English dates next year he has to massive outdoor gigs....1st Central County Ground in Hove and Cardiff City at 33k, not even Millenium Stadium. I think he'd get booked for the Legend slot but I don't think they would bother over others for headlining.

14 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Well its ok isnt it?

Wasn't a fan myself. Tbh I think she's fallen off ever so slightly and considering she was only booked to sub originally in 2015 I doubt she's gonna be booked to headline again any time soon. If she plays again it'll undoubtedly be as a sub again, but maybe not so soon.

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

They did say all headliners will be new 

Did they?

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Wasn't a fan myself. Tbh I think she's fallen off ever so slightly and considering she was only booked to sub originally in 2015 I doubt she's gonna be booked to headline again any time soon. If she plays again it'll undoubtedly be as a sub again, but maybe not so soon.

Did they?

Could swear Eavis said it.

41 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

That's like saying The 1975 can't headline because they're not Oasis lol what

No its not, its saying thay I reckon Disclosure is probably simillarly popular to Stormzy.

The reason I had gathered people were really behind Stormzy is because he would be the first british rapper, when imo that makes no sense. Nobody reckons Disclosure are gonna get an arbitrary boost to headline just because they'd be the first british electronic act to headline, so I don't see why Stormzy would.

Sure it will be a big moment whenever the first british rapper gets to headline, but there is no point in trying to force it by overbooking early. Just give it a couple album cycles and then he'll be ready, or he (like Skepta and the rest of grime) will have dropped off a lot. I dont see the rush in booking someone like him over say 1975 who already are headline material

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

He said the biggest acts will be "two or three that have never playetwo or three that have never played" but he always says similar. Could even just mean that the legends' slot and one or two subs have never played.

I see, who are your prediction three @Gucci Piggy?

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

No its not, its saying thay I reckon Disclosure is probably simillarly popular to Stormzy.

The reason I had gathered people were really behind Stormzy is because he would be the first british rapper, when imo that makes no sense. Nobody reckons Disclosure are gonna get an arbitrary boost to headline just because they'd be the first british electronic act to headline, so I don't see why Stormzy would.

Disclosure wouldn't be the first British electronic act to headline. Or the second. Or even the third.

• Upvote 1