2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

14 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

CF7D8697-6118-4854-80AD-A96281A2B8FC.png

? Fair enough, that's a lot of disagreement and to be fair I do know less than many of you guys here I'm sure. Ultimately this is all about perspective of the music industry, and that's shaped by not only our age but the music we listen to, the articles we read, and I guess that's what causes these differing opinions.

Weirdly, I can see The 1975 headlining more so than Stormzy, and they do feel far bigger than Stormy in my perspective, but logically I can't back that up at all. Which I suppose proves me wrong ultimately.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

At that point, yes. Off a cliff after that though.

That's a stretch. As much as I'd love to [figuratively] bury the Mumford & Sons, they've definitely got life left in them and Stateside they are first name on a poster (this means something in the US, trust me) for a festival next month featuring Arctic Monkeys and Childish Gambino. They rode much higher in their heyday and are still of reasonable stature despite a downswing, compared to Stormzy who wouldn't have that much of a legacy if things plummeted after next album, which they'd be reasonably likely to.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That's a stretch. As much as I'd love to [figuratively] bury the Mumford & Sons, they've definitely got life left in them and Stateside they are first name on a poster (this means something in the US, trust me) for a festival next month featuring Arctic Monkeys and Childish Gambino. They rode much higher in their heyday and are still of reasonable stature despite a downswing, compared to Stormzy who wouldn't have that much of a legacy if things plummeted after next album, which they'd be reasonably likely to.

Fair enough, I didn't realise they were still big in the US. Can only comment from a UK perspective as once you go beyond there it's basically here be dragons for me :lol:

I'd still argue that, here at least, they've massively fallen out of style.  Apart from a couple of songs you hear on the radio they've pretty much disappeared from the proverbial consciousness.

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep, that was a pretty impressive plummet.  Turning themselves into a less edgy Kings of Leon went full Thelma & Louise on their career.

WRONG! Thelma & Louise is a brilliant film, Mumfords are awful. You want to compare them to a film where the protagonist offs themselves in the end? Please use The Room.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

WRONG! Thelma & Louise is a brilliant film, Mumfords are awful. You want to compare them to a film where the protagonist offs themselves in the end? Please use The Room.

Fine.  You can use the Wayne's World version if you prefer.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Fair enough, I didn't realise they were still big in the US. Can only comment from a UK perspective as once you go beyond there it's basically here be dragons for me :lol:

I'd still argue that, here at least, they've massively fallen out of style.  Apart from a couple of songs you hear on the radio they've pretty much disappeared from the proverbial consciousness.

But you can't really call them on what they've done here either. On a flop album they sold out an arena tour, headlined Reading, Leeds, Hyde Park and then Latitude, which was initially noted as a step down until they sold out all the day tickets and then The Killers did the same slot the next year. I don't know how we got here but if they're being used as an example of how Glastonbury are allowed to get it wrong, then acts need to reach their level first.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't know how we got here

Yeah, I've been trying to figure that out as well.

Mumfords were big on the back of Sigh No More from 2009, released Babel in late 2012 and headlined in 2013 when they also won lots of awards. Assuming that they had been booked by GF either just before or not long after the release of the album (they were announced in March I think #AHTT) it was before they started winning awards and the like.

So bringing it back to young Stormzy, yes he would be a bigger step in the dark than Mumfords were as he's not as far down the path of second album.

But still, you can't deny that in the 5 years since headlining Glastonbury Mumfords are now at a point where a lot of UK punters would assume they've split up, and couldn't name you a single track off their third album.  Or even if they had a third album.  And in that respect, Stormzy's trajectory could well end up pretty similar.

Needless to say, this isn't solid. But this guy runs the Arctic Monkeys forum and always has very accurate information (everything he said about the album and tour this year was spot on). When he says 'a guy who knows things', I'm inclined to believe him. But as the source doesn't name Glastonbury specifically...what other June festivals could be described as 'iconic'?

9 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Needless to say, this isn't solid. But this guy runs the Arctic Monkeys forum and always has very accurate information (everything he said about the album and tour this year was spot on). When he says 'a guy who knows things', I'm inclined to believe him. But as the source doesn't name Glastonbury specifically...what other June festivals could be described as 'iconic'?

Well, when he reports it from someone else I feel like he might not be wanting to report it in case it's wrong, but obviously it's the sort of thing that we'll know more about in a few more weeks and blakejp hearing it is better than anyone else doing so, really..

edit: IOW could be iconic but I think they're on about Glastonbury.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

IOW could be considered fairly iconic, not as much as Glasto obviously.

I'd guess the "special summer date" would be the park thing in Sheffield they tried to get up and running this year.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Of all the names floating around at the minute they're the closest thing to a sure bet......

.....for sending everyone present off to sleep.

Maybe it's a rite of passage thing for every new generation of Glastonbury attendee; getting excited about Arctic Monkeys at Glastonbury until they make 90 minutes feel like 90 days and force Miles Kane onto you.

Yes @Hugh Jass we know you enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, after they won a Grammy for their second album and comfortably merited that Glastonbury headline slot.

I know they merited the headline slot; I've argued the same thing on here in the past when people have called it a week booking. I was just poking fun at them for how hard interest in them fell.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Didn't Sons and the lads play like the Avalon Cafe the following year and no one gave a fiddlers?

They joined a bunch of artists across the day but never the whole band, maybe for contractual reasons. I thought the area got shut down for all the remaining fanatics trying to catch a glance of The Mumford himself?