2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

No its not, its saying thay I reckon Disclosure is probably simillarly popular to Stormzy.

The reason I had gathered people were really behind Stormzy is because he would be the first british rapper, when imo that makes no sense. Nobody reckons Disclosure are gonna get an arbitrary boost to headline just because they'd be the first british electronic act to headline, so I don't see why Stormzy would.

Sure it will be a big moment whenever the first british rapper gets to headline, but there is no point in trying to force it by overbooking early. Just give it a couple album cycles and then he'll be ready, or he (like Skepta and the rest of grime) will have dropped off a lot. I dont see the rush in booking someone like him over say 1975 who already are headline material

I'm on about you saying "they are no Daft Punk/Kanye West". Arcade Fire are no U2 but they headlined.

Yeah, Stormzy and Disclosure are probably similarly sized right now (although I think if you pitted them against each other at Glasto then Stormzy would get the bigger crowd), but Disclosure have clearly hit their peak and aren't getting any bigger. People predicting Stormzy to headline are obviously predicting that his second album will continue the ascent that his debut set him on, which could be enough for him to be booked to headline.

As has been said before in this debate, the reason Stormzy is having the success he's having is because he's moved outside of the grime scene and is basically a full on pop star now. He'll probably have more songs with the likes of Ed Sheeran on his next album. Skepta won't be doing that. This is why people think he's more likely to continue his rise than Skepta was.

Why are The 1975 already festival headliners but not Stormzy? They both played on the back of their last album and Stormzy played one slot higher than them (although tbf they easily could have done that slot, too). The only difference is The 1975 are further into their new album campaign than Stormzy is. Again, people are predicting that once he has his new album campaign underway he'll be getting similar success from it as The 1975 are at the moment.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not being funny but for anyone who thinks they would book Elton as a headline, come on. As English dates next year he has to massive outdoor gigs....1st Central County Ground in Hove and Cardiff City at 33k, not even Millenium Stadium. I think he'd get booked for the Legend slot but I don't think they would bother over others for headlining.

Because festivals generally don't turn around to the biggest selling living artist and go "Cardiff City Stadium? You're having a fooking laugh ya nobody".

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not being funny but for anyone who thinks they would book Elton as a headline, come on. As English dates next year he has to massive outdoor gigs....1st Central County Ground in Hove and Cardiff City at 33k, not even Millenium Stadium. I think he'd get booked for the Legend slot but I don't think they would bother over others for headlining.

Do you honestly think Stormzy or the 1975 could sell out the Millennium let alone Cardiff City Stadium?

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Disclosure wouldn't be the first British electronic act to headline. Or the second. Or even the third.

Damn who else has headlined? Chemical Brothers? Pet Shop Boys (if you can even count them?) I know Prodigy have headlined so I guess if you count them?

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm on about you saying "they are no Daft Punk/Kanye West". Arcade Fire are no U2 but they headlined.

I was kinda using them as examples of other big acts in the same genre who have/could headline more than "why arent you huge"

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah, Stormzy and Disclosure are probably similarly sized right now (although I think if you pitted them against each other at Glasto then Stormzy would get the bigger crowd), but Disclosure have clearly hit their peak and aren't getting any bigger. People predicting Stormzy to headline are obviously predicting that his second album will continue the ascent that his debut set him on, which could be enough for him to be booked to headline.

Well I definitely don't agree that Disclosure have peaked. They took a year off and then released a less mainstream, more clubby EP (like they have done a lot) which as far as I have seen went down very well.

And did his debut really propell him that much? I feel like most of the Stormzy hype came after Shut Up and on the lead up to the album, and then not a lot since then. I know a couple of the songs did alright on the charts but the impression I got was that he didnt gain a bigger audience after the album really.

12 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

As has been said before in this debate, the reason Stormzy is having the success he's having is because he's moved outside of the grime scene and is basically a full on pop star now. He'll probably have more songs with the likes of Ed Sheeran on his next album. Skepta won't be doing that. This is why people think he's more likely to continue his rise than Skepta was.

Ah so we are aiming for Wiley take 2 i see.

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Why are The 1975 already festival headliners but not Stormzy? They both played on the back of their last album and Stormzy played one slot higher than them (although tbf they easily could have done that slot, too). The only difference is The 1975 are further into their new album campaign than Stormzy is. Again, people are predicting that once he has his new album campaign underway he'll be getting similar success from it as The 1975 are at the moment.

Maybe its just the people I know but 1975 seem to have near universal appeal, my mums 50yo friend and my 6yo cousin are both big fans, my friends who are deep into pop like them, my druggo dnb heads like them, my hardcore rock fans like them. Its weird as I dont see the appeal at all, but somehow they seem to manage it.

Most of the people I know who like Stormzy like him because they like rap.

Again this is anecdotal I appreciate I may just have a weird group of friends, but even I have to admit that the 1975 had a much better stage presence & production at R&L in 2016 than Stormzy (though they admittedly had a much bigger back catalogue). Maybe if Stormzy was also 3 albums deep I would think diferently

Just now, Mattymooz said:

Damn who else has headlined? Chemical Brothers? Pet Shop Boys (if you can even count them?) I know Prodigy have headlined so I guess if you count them?

PSB never did it but yes the Chems and the Prodge, and also Basement Jaxx albeit with a big honking caveat. More than enough to mean that Disclosure following suit wouldn't be a progressive 'groundbreaking' new step for the festival that could be compared to Big Micheal stepping up.

Do we have any info on a new Stormzy album? Without one I don't see how he could fill a headline set even if it was kept short. If he did release another album I think he'd be one of the top contenders. As to whether I'd go watch the set, probably not. He seems to be going more in a pop direction rather than sticking with the grime sound. So if the new album was popish then sure why not have him as a headliner but i'll give it a miss. If the illusive new album was grimey which is less likely I don't see him headlining but I'd be more likely to watch the set.

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

PSB never did it but yes the Chems and the Prodge, and also Basement Jaxx albeit with a big honking caveat. More than enough to mean that Disclosure following suit wouldn't be a progressive 'groundbreaking' new step for the festival that could be compared to Big Micheal stepping up. 

(AND MOBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Dang thought you were talking about Michael Dappah and was suddenly really confused that Stormzy was also Big Shaq and I had never realised lmao

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

I was kinda using them as examples of other big acts in the same genre who have/could headline more than "why arent you huge"

Well I definitely don't agree that Disclosure have peaked. They took a year off and then released a less mainstream, more clubby EP (like they have done a lot) which as far as I have seen went down very well.

And did his debut really propell him that much? I feel like most of the Stormzy hype came after Shut Up and on the lead up to the album, and then not a lot since then. I know a couple of the songs did alright on the charts but the impression I got was that he didnt gain a bigger audience after the album really.

Ah so we are aiming for Wiley take 2 i see.

Maybe its just the people I know but 1975 seem to have near universal appeal, my mums 50yo friend and my 6yo cousin are both big fans, my friends who are deep into pop like them, my druggo dnb heads like them, my hardcore rock fans like them. Its weird as I dont see the appeal at all, but somehow they seem to manage it.

Most of the people I know who like Stormzy like him because they like rap.

Again this is anecdotal I appreciate I may just have a weird group of friends, but even I have to admit that the 1975 had a much better stage presence & production at R&L in 2016 than Stormzy (though they admittedly had a much bigger back catalogue). Maybe if Stormzy was also 3 albums deep I would think diferently

Basement Jaxx, The Chemical Brothers, and The Prodigy (why wouldn't they count?) have headlined.

Fair enough if you don't think Disclosure have peaked but I doubt too many will agree with you. Cacaral wasn't as big as Settle and imo the festival billings they got after that were pretty much due to the success of their debut. I can't see a third album being as popular as their debut, either.

We're not aiming for anything, I'm just saying the reality of Stormzy's career path clearly isn't the same as Skepta's, and he's already a much bigger deal in the mainstream than Skepta has ever been, so there's no point in comparing them.

Yeah, The 1975 probably do have more fans who are 50 years old, but they also have quite a lot of people who think they're shite. Stormzy doesn't seem to have that, other than the people who reply to Radio X's tweets saying Glastonbury is dead if Stormzy headlines and tweet about going to see Courteeners and Catfish shows all Summer (pretty sure a lot of these people also hate The 1975, mind).

I disagree on Stormzy fans all being rap fans, though. I think he's one of the most universally popular (by which I mean popular with fans of all genres) artists amongst young people.

The 1975 may have a better stage presence than Stormzy, but that isn't really relevant to the size of each act. Plenty of smaller bands have a better stage presence than Arctic Monkeys.

2 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Do we have any info on a new Stormzy album? Without one I don't see how he could fill a headline set even if it was kept short. If he did release another album I think he'd be one of the top contenders. As to whether I'd go watch the set, probably not. He seems to be going more in a pop direction rather than sticking with the grime sound. So if the new album was popish then sure why not have him as a headliner but i'll give it a miss. If the illusive new album was grimey which is less likely I don't see him headlining but I'd be more likely to watch the set.

Nah nothing announced, but there's plenty of time for that. Albums coming out in like January have only just started being announced, really.

I agree (and I think almost everyone does) that he couldn't headline without a new album. I also think it's most likely that his next album continues in the pop direction, but if he is booked to headline it will be very likely that the bookers have heard some of the new material and used that to aid their decision.

1 minute ago, Radi0Head said:

(AND MOBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I was actually going to say him but then found out he's American haha.

27 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Do you honestly think Stormzy or the 1975 could sell out the Millennium let alone Cardiff City Stadium?

It's not exactly as simple as that now though is it. Stormzy is on the rise and I'm not saying he should but there is indication it's feasible. Elton has gone way past the point of being able to sell out massive shows and tbh if they haven't had him headline yet, I don't think they are likely after he's already done one set of dates in the UK the year before. I'll just put this out there for you, if Coldplay, FM and Madonna were all were in 2020 and asked to play it then there is no chance Elton would being the equation bar being the Legend, and tbh you can also add Macca into that. I don't disagree he is huge but he sells way more in the states than he does here now.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

It's not exactly as simple as that now though is it. Stormzy is on the rise and I'm not saying he should but there is indication it's feasible. Elton has gone way past the point of being able to sell out massive shows and tbh if they haven't had him headline yet, I don't think they are likely after he's already done one set of dates in the UK the year before. I'll just put this out there for you, if Coldplay, FM and Madonna were all were in 2020 and asked to play it then there is no chance Elton would being the equation bar being the Legend, and tbh you can also add Macca into that. I don't disagree he is huge but he sells way more in the states than he does here now.

So because there are 4 possible headliners who are bigger than him he has no chance? You could say the same about most potential headliners every year.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

You’re right. You’re not funny.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Don't you try and come between Gazza and his Coldplay 2020 dream. He's been waiting two years to tell us all he was right.

Apparently they're getting set to tour again next year, which is bad because it destroys that hiatus talk but also great because there's practically no chance they'll have an album by 2020. So we should neither have to carefully avoid another Coldplay set or suffer Gazza's gloating. :P

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Apparently they're getting set to tour again next year, which is bad because it destroys that hiatus talk but also great because there's practically no chance they'll have an album by 2020. So we should neither have to carefully avoid another Coldplay set or suffer Gazza's gloating. :P

Plus they're the perfect act to balance out the Cavester's headline set in 2021. Can't say fairer than that.

19 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

tbh you can also add Macca into that. I don't disagree he is huge but he sells way more in the states than he does here now.

Of course he sells more in the USA, it’s a far bigger market. His last few tours here have been small arena ones that sell out in no time, so it’s no real barometer. Last time he played larger venues he played the likes of Hyde Park and the Millennium Stadium. Ultimately he is probably the most successful, influential and biggest musician we’ve produced, and far more worthy than an hour on the Pyramid on a Sunday afternoon.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

My friend if you think a little inconvenience like having nothing to promote is going to rule Coldplay out of headlining Glastonbury’s 50th birthday, I worry you haven’t been paying enough attention.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

My friend if you think a little inconvenience like having nothing to promote is going to rule Coldplay out of headlining Glastonbury’s 50th birthday, I worry you haven’t been paying enough attention.

Genuine question. Do you actually think Glastonbury will book Coldplay to headline the 50th anniversary with absolutely nothing new to promote since their last headline slot? I think getting good headliners for the 50th anniversary will be much more of a priority to the Eavii than letting their mates Coldplay headline it for no reason with the same selection of songs to choose from as when they headlined four years prior.

You may have been joking but I know some people are dead set on them doing it.

If Coldplay are that desperate to play the anniversary they can do a secret set or something. Their relationship with the organisers doesn't mean they can just headline whenever they want to.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Genuine question. Do you actually think Glastonbury will book Coldplay to headline the 50th anniversary with absolutely nothing new to promote since their last headline slot? I think getting good headliners for the 50th anniversary will be much more of a priority to the Eavii than letting their mates Coldplay headline it for no reason with the same selection of songs to choose from as when they headlined four years prior.

You may have been joking but I know some people are dead set on them doing it.

If Coldplay are that desperate to play the anniversary they can do a secret set or something. Their relationship with the organisers doesn't mean they can just headline whenever they want to.

I wasn’t being serious although now I’ve actually thought about it, it could happen. If they wanted to squeeze out the funds for a Madonna or a Kendrick and needed cheaper headliners the other two nights, the Coldplayers could quite easily step up and do it for a minimal fee or free. And the fest could bill them as “the return of the house band” or whatever.

I don’t think it’s likely but I can see a scenario where it ends up happening.