eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Eavis said that The Cure were crap last time they played. Also he said that Rob is fat and old and sad, but under his breath so it's not widely reported. He definitely said it tho.

7 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Cheers! Clearly been reading this thread - Cure dropped to 9/2, Drake up to 5/1

Yonce 18/1 now. Still looks great value though.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

I think Macca and The 1975 are worth a punt on there (5/1 and 7/1 respectively). Especially considering Liam is 2nd favourite at 5/2!

Imagine thinking Liam will headline Glastonbury on his own.

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yonce 18/1 now. Still looks great value though.

She's a great bet whatever the odds. I could make a grand off a £1 bet and Queen Bey headlining would still be the bigger reward.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not now that Macca is more or less ruled out.

I don't think you can rule him out until another US date is added.

Fleetwood Mac, Kendrick Lemar and 1975?

I did hear Guns N Roses are touring Europe again this summer, they are more commercially minded nowadays so would expect they would probs sacrifice fee for exposure  

Kylie for Sunday Legend

The Cure's BST set was packed full of hits and was excellent. I think people are underestimating their popularity and back catalogue. They'd be blinding as a headliner.

10 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The Cure's BST set was packed full of hits and was excellent. I think people are underestimating their popularity and back catalogue. They'd be blinding as a headliner.

Pretty much this. How on earth are The Cure not a great glasto headliner? I mean, they're British heritage that actually has a lot of succes everywhere in the world. And they'e got hits. Lots of them. Probably more than most of the acts that would normally headline Glasto.

I mean, who doesn't know stuff like Inbetween Days, Boys Don't Cry, Just Like Heaven, A Forest, Lullaby, Close To Me, Lovesong or Friday I'm In Love? 

2 hours ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Fleetwood Mac, Kendrick Lemar and 1975?

I did hear Guns N Roses are touring Europe again this summer, they are more commercially minded nowadays so would expect they would probs sacrifice fee for exposure  

Kylie for Sunday Legend

I'd personally love either AC/DC or GNR. Some shredding guitar solos would go down a treat for me! I won't get my hopes up though.

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Pretty much this. How on earth are The Cure not a great glasto headliner? I mean, they're British heritage that actually has a lot of succes everywhere in the world. And they'e got hits. Lots of them. Probably more than most of the acts that would normally headline Glasto.

I mean, who doesn't know stuff like Inbetween Days, Boys Don't Cry, Just Like Heaven, A Forest, Lullaby, Close To Me, Lovesong or Friday I'm In Love? 

The exact same could be said of Depeche Mode too. I'd love to see both of them there next year!

As a non-British festival goer, I just have to raise an eyebrow whenever The 1975 is mentioned as a headliner. 

I'm a Belgian and at Rock Werchter, our biggest festival, that band would get a late-afternoon slot in a tent at best.They surely aren't bigger than, let's say, Bastille (if we're talking about corny pop groups) over here.  I also couldn't hum a single tune of theirs if I wanted to. 

Are these guys that massive in the UK? 

2 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

As a non-British festival goer, I just have to raise an eyebrow whenever The 1975 is mentioned as a headliner. 

I'm a Belgian and at Rock Werchter, our biggest festival, that band would get a late-afternoon slot in a tent at best.They surely aren't bigger than, let's say, Bastille (if we're talking about corny pop groups) over here.  I also couldn't hum a single tune of theirs if I wanted to. 

But on that basis you’d have Editors headline! 

35 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The Cure's BST set was sold to Cure fans. Glasto wouldn't be like that.

They'd of course be plenty of fans of the Cure amongst the Glasto crowd, but even that doesn't mean they'd go and see them. For many the other choices at the same time are likely to be more-appealing.

I'd say they're better-suited to an Other headline slot nowadays.

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, Johnnyseven said:

The exact same could be said of Depeche Mode too. I'd love to see both of them there next year!

Depeche Mode are apparently asked regularly but aren't willing to take a reduced fee. Not on tour next year anyway.

The Cure, on the other hand, have already headlined four times or something so I doubt Glastonbury are as eager for them. I do agree with the feeling that they're too easily dismissed and I think they could easily headline the Pyramid again at some point, but I think they're more of a stock option really rather than someone they'll be really pulling to get.

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah. Fairly big in the US too. Bastille are bigger in Belgium but they're one of those bands that Belgium has adopted from us and honestly you can keep them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

I reckon they could easily sub, or headline t'other.

They are probably just off being a clear pyramid headliner, but sometimes Glastonbury likes to promote an act beyond what you might think obvious.

I think sometimes it's to have a current act to balance against having headliners like McCartney, or the Arctic Monkeys.  To some extent the 1975 are still on an upwards trajectory, and there aren't many other acts around you can say that about at headliner level. 

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah. Fairly big in the US too. Bastille are bigger in Belgium but they're one of those bands that Belgium has adopted from us and honestly you can keep them.

jj200 is Belgian?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Johnnyseven said:

If Depeche Mode have been asked numerous times to headline the Pyramid I have trouble understanding why the thought is that The Cure aren't a suitable headliner?

Because last time they headlined a weekend camping festival, it only sold about half the tickets on sale causing problems they've still not recovered from?

Not that The Cure were the only factor in that, or even close to it. But they were one of them. And that's coming from someone that was there and absolutely loved their set.

No chance I'd watch a Cure set at Glastonbury. Causally quite like their music but a 3 hour set with the amount in elsewhere ain't gonna do it for me. Maybe at another festival but not here. Feel like a lot of others would be the same. 

15 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

If Depeche Mode have been asked numerous times to headline the Pyramid I have trouble understanding why the thought is that The Cure aren't a suitable headliner?

If Depeche Mode had already headlined three times between the 80's and 90's then they'd probably be very low down the list too. It's more about crossing them off the list, and The Cure have already done it to the point of the festival and band growing tired of one another. 

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

jj200 is Belgian?

I think he just speaks bands.

Edited by dentalplan

Didn't Dave Grohl claim he wanted to do a 3 hour headline set, but when it came to the day, it was just a normal length set?

I can't see the Cure being given the headline slot, tho stranger things have happened, but I definitely don't see them doing a 3 hour headline set.

7 minutes ago, uscore said:

I can't see the Cure being given the headline slot, tho stranger things have happened, but I definitely don't see them doing a 3 hour headline set.

They've played festival slots two hours and under not so long ago, so it's not a sticking point.