eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

That's what I was attempting to reference. Thought it might have been too tenuous a link to understand, mind.

oops. Thought you were referencing going around the houses and ending up in China.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

oops. Thought you were referencing going around the houses and ending up in China.

I fucking hate Neil for that still. Was definitely Bloc Party.

33 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

That’d be phenomenal but seems way too strong, sadly.

Yeah true, I’m struggling for a third headliner, I don’t think Stormzy is big enough to headline, nor the 1975, I can’t seem to find a fit.

11 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Massive-ass 1975 tour just announced. We’ll see how ticket sales go obviously but no reason in my mind they couldn’t headline. Four albums is plenty.

10 dates, 2 of which in Ireland, is hardly what I'd call "massive-ass". not much scope for adding extra nights either, apart from 1 almost certain in London.

Edited by ghostdancer1

28 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I'm no expert or ITK, but I'm going to claim that The 1975 are definitely not headlining the Pyramid Stage in 2019. 

still a better chance than the laughable suggestion of Stormzy tbf

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I'm no expert or ITK, but I'm going to claim that The 1975 are definitely not headlining the Pyramid Stage in 2019. 

Why not? Three albums, they’ve sold out arenas, their next album and tour will undoubtedly sell bucket loads.

Not saying they will but they can’t be ruled out either.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Both The 1975 and Stormzy could headline with new albums tbh.

Both would need it, imo. 

Today I feel like going with:

Arctic Monkeys / Liam Gallagher

Kendrik Lamar / Stormzy

Madonna / Ariana Grande 

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Both would need it, imo. 

Today I feel like going with:

Arctic Monkeys / Liam Gallagher

Kendrik Lamar / Stormzy

Madonna / Ariana Grande 

I can't see Ariana Grande getting sub, I 100% think they would book her but closer to a 3rd down.

15 minutes ago, Padgey said:

The 1975 only 7/1 to headline any night, surely too short those odds. 

Full list here:

Screenshot_20180911-071146.png

Screenshot_20180911-071200.png

Where are the odds from?

11 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Just reread the first page of this thread, there was a fair few predicting Foals two years ago which seems so unlikely now. 

I’m going to go with:

The Carters

Madonna

Artic Monkeys 

See after the joint album was released I did wonder if they would ever be a potential headliner as a duo after such great solo performances.

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

The 1975 only 7/1 to headline any night, surely too short those odds. 

Full list here:

Screenshot_20180911-071146.png

Screenshot_20180911-071200.png

Three bands that don't exist and The Cure shorter odds than Beyonce, mmm kay. Drake is probably the closest thing to a value bet here.

Is there anything that would rule out The Cure? To say they are 3rd on that list (for whatever it's worth) there doesn't seem to be much discussion. I'd love it, but I can't really see it. I wouldn't say they are big enough in 2018 but some of you guys are better judges than me!

Edit: apologies if this was addressed 50 pages ago 😂

Edited by jparx

The Cure are an interesting one. Nobody is discussing them, but in recent memory, they’ve done Bestival, R&L, BST, IOW. They’ve done everything else, maybe only really leaving them with this left?

but at 2/1 you won’t catch me putting any money on them. Plenty of other ‘maybe’ acts as well 

I think I'd have them in a similar bracket to Stone Roses in that they have been active doing big shows, but I can't see them headlining Glastonbury at this stage.

Would be a nice surprise though!

However, if GF have booked two ‘big acts’, I’m sure The Cure could fall into the ‘weaker’ category as some have called it. As they would jump at the chance to play, I’m sure. 

I just don't see why they'd book The Cure these days, at all. Great band to those who've heard of them but they're neither relevant or 'classic' enough to appeal to 50% of the people on site, which is the minimum requirement. You'd just be begging for overcrowding elsewhere.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Strange one because although they're big enough to sell 80,000 BST tickets I'm not sure they're "Glastonbury big", I think Nick Cave suffers similarly. They've done it in the past but it doesn't feel like they'll ever do it again. I'm not sure the average Glastonbury punter has the stomach for a three hour assault from them.

Said before that I'd give them three hours on the Other one night and let them go nuts.

Where do we reckon these odds have come from then? Someone has put a load of money on them...but why?

I agree they're in that weird bracket of "big" but not "big enough", nor new and up and coming and worth taking a chance.