Jump to content
eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I also think The Cure would have people leaving in droves from the Pyramid, but would be too big for Other.

Depends who they're up against, stick them up against a huge pop artist (Beyoncé, T. Swizzle) on the Pyramid and you would get a good split.

Giving them three hours also means people can dip in and out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Depends who they're up against, stick them up against a huge pop artist (Beyoncé, T. Swizzle) on the Pyramid and you would get a good split.

Giving them three hours also means people can dip in and out.

I don't think they'd overfill it by any means but I also don't think they'd accept anything but headlining the Pyramid. Don't think I've ever seen them take a non-headline slot anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Depends who they're up against, stick them up against a huge pop artist (Beyoncé, T. Swizzle) on the Pyramid and you would get a good split.

Giving them three hours also means people can dip in and out.

Yeah, they might get away with Other actually, but I can't see them doing it.  Asked years ago why they hardly ever play the UK, Robert Smith replied "it's a big world".  A common theme on here is the "artist's ego", something I think is massively overblown - we're generally talking about seasoned, professional career musicians.  If an artist can't get booked to headline a large festival anywhere in the world, then their "ego" isn't going to stop them accepting a slot subbing the Pyramid or headlining Other.  But if you can decide to saunter round Europe every few year filling arenas in every city, then why would you bother playing second fiddle at an English festival for peanuts?

It's the Depeche Mode bind - doing anything else but headlining isn't worth their while and offering either band a headline slot would be a mistake, at least if their are other, better options, which there usually are going by the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway they'd die on their arse headlining the Pyramid. Last time I saw them this was the setlist. Even my brother who's seen them before and likes them was wondering where the hits were before the third encore. Looks like their recent BST and Bestival setlists were similar, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway they'd die on their arse headlining the Pyramid. Last time I saw them this was the setlist. Even my brother who's seen them before and likes them was wondering where the hits were before the third encore. Looks like their recent BST and Bestival setlists were similar, too.

They seem to like playing those heavy, dreary songs with no space and very little songcraft in them, which is a shame.  I saw them in the MEN on that last tour and found it pretty maddening when I realised I couldn't skip tracks like at home.  Then Lullaby came on and I remembered that they can write some great songs and sometimes know how to use space.

Far too many dirges for me though, that shit belongs on Oxylers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isn't there Smith-Eavis beef that more or less rules them out anyway?

Regarding "beefs", I'd also see my comment on performer's "egos".  Eavis though they weren't good enough to headline.  That's not a beef, that's booking policy.  The likes of Morrissey might boycott the farm, but I don't think the festival holds grudges (E.g James and The Fall did come back in the end).

We're talking about professionals here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway they'd die on their arse headlining the Pyramid. Last time I saw them this was the setlist. Even my brother who's seen them before and likes them was wondering where the hits were before the third encore. Looks like their recent BST and Bestival setlists were similar, too.

 

Three encores!  Fucking three!  That's reason enough to ban them from appearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Three encores!  Fucking three!  That's reason enough to ban them from appearing.

Weird init. More songs in the encores than the main set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their weird, overly-long set actually went down well at Reading from what I can remember, so maybe theres a chance it could work on the Pyramid. I'm a big fan though and I always love their 3 hour sets, though I can understand most people don't!

 

setlist-image-v1?id=7bdc7e54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, evilduck said:

Their weird, overly-long set actually went down well at Reading from what I can remember, so maybe theres a chance it could work on the Pyramid. I'm a big fan though and I always love their 3 hour sets, though I can understand most people don't!

 

setlist-image-v1?id=7bdc7e54

That setlist is a bit more friendly, though, with the hits better spread through the show. I was at the equivalent Leeds show and it's still one of my favourite gigs ever, but I dunno how well it went down with the whole crowd (I know the crowd was pretty tiny, though). My friends who weren't already Cure fans didn't enjoy it, although we were all 16 at the time so probably not who it was really aimed at.

Weird booking, thinking about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

That setlist is a bit more friendly, though, with the hits better spread through the show. I was at the equivalent Leeds show and it's still one of my favourite gigs ever, but I dunno how well it went down with the whole crowd (I know the crowd was pretty tiny, though). My friends who weren't already Cure fans didn't enjoy it, although we were all 16 at the time so probably not who it was really aimed at.

Weird booking, thinking about it.

Yeah I do remember the crowd was fairly small, but I don't think there was a mass-exodus or anything. It was a really odd booking even at the time but I'm glad they took the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, evilduck said:

Yeah I do remember the crowd was fairly small, but I don't think there was a mass-exodus or anything. It was a really odd booking even at the time but I'm glad they took the risk.

Yeah there wasn't an exodus or owt I don't think. I remember walking over just before they came on as we'd just watched my brother's mate's band on the BBC Intro Stage when Paramore were on; easily got into the middle of the front section with loads of space around us like 5-10 mins before they started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Padgey said:

The 1975 only 7/1 to headline any night, surely too short those odds. 

Full list here:

 

Screenshot_20180911-071146.png

Screenshot_20180911-071200.png

Which bookies do these come from? Looks a bit like William Hill but I can't see anything on their site. Anyone offering odds for this ought to be advertising on this thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Which bookies do these come from? Looks a bit like William Hill but I can't see anything on their site. Anyone offering odds for this ought to be advertising on this thread!

Sky Bet https://m.skybet.com/music-specials/glastonbury-specials/event/22722427

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...